Instagram may sell photos for advertising

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary, Instagram is changing their terms of use where they can now sell user's photos for ads without any compensation.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The new terms of use, effective January 16, are littered with changes throughout -- but the biggest changes came in the section about users' rights. "A business or other entity may pay" Instagram to display users' photos and other details "in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

Instagram can now sell your photos for ads (cnn.com)

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have used instagram for a brief period. It may not be easy for long time users, but, IMO if you don't agree with the terms of use, get out.

So, "All your face are belong to us!"

They seem to be backpeddling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616

Having never had a Facebook account I don't know much about it, but family members do so I've been concerned about it and IMO if I had an Instagram account I'd delete it before Jan 16, don't trust them if they cannot even clearly state their intentions.

lol wow, there really is nothing confusing about the intentions of

"You hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the content that you post on or through the service."

or

"a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

shameful

LOL..

instagram.png

There was a recent case where a family's holiday picture became a large sign in Prague advertising a grocery store and was noticed by one of their friends visiting the city.

The store had gotten the picture from the web. It was high enough resolution for the them to blow up it really big and display it on their billboard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8094420.stm

The moral of the story is not to post pictures to the web and if you do use a reduced resolution and make sure you brush your teeth if you're smiling.

Related to Instagram may sell photos for advertising

1. Can Instagram sell my photos without my permission?

According to Instagram's updated Terms of Use, the platform has the right to use your photos for advertising and other purposes without compensating you. However, they have since clarified that they will not sell your photos to third parties.

2. Will I receive any compensation if my photos are used for advertising?

No, you will not receive any compensation if your photos are used for advertising on Instagram. However, you can choose to opt out of this feature by changing your privacy settings.

3. How will Instagram use my photos for advertising?

Instagram may use your photos to promote sponsored content or products on the platform. This means that your photos may appear in ads or sponsored posts on other users' feeds.

4. Can I still control who sees my photos on Instagram?

Yes, you can still control who sees your photos on Instagram by adjusting your privacy settings. You can choose to make your account private, meaning only approved followers can see your posts, or you can choose to manually approve which of your photos are used for advertising.

5. Is there a way to completely opt out of Instagram using my photos for advertising?

Yes, you can choose to completely opt out of Instagram using your photos for advertising by deleting your account. However, keep in mind that this means you will no longer have access to the platform and all your content will be permanently deleted.