Insert Quotes: Is There a Way to Edit Posts?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, you can manually insert a quote with the poster's name if you want to go back and edit a post and add another quote from someone, but it's a hassle.
DiracPool
Is there a way to insert a quote when you are editing a post? I didn't see an option to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried it in my "deletion notification thread" and it didn't work. Maybe there's some way that I don't know about.

Danger said:
I just tried it in my "deletion notification thread" and it didn't work. Maybe there's some way that I don't know about.

Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the + button, and click Quote.An edit example ↓ ...
Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the + button, and click Quote.

Last edited:
Ok, let me try that...

Edit:
Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the + button, and click Quote.

Ok, that works but 2 problems, one, you have to do it manually with a cut and paste, two, it doesn't register the poster's name. However, at least it's halfway there. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Well, it seems to...

DiracPool said:
it doesn't register the poster's name.

DiracPool said:
OCR, now try going back to your above post #5 and place another quote of mine (or anyone) right below it. Hit the edit button on post 5.

Or... open the edit button in a new tab, and copy and past from the previous tab...
I left out the post number on purpose... so no arrow.

DiracPool said:
OCR, now try going back to your above post #5 and place another quote of mine (or anyone) right below it. Hit the edit button on post 5.

Last edited:

DiracPool said:
Ok, let me try that...

Edit:Ok, that works but 2 problems, one, you have to do it manually with a cut and paste, two, it doesn't register the poster's name. However, at least it's halfway there. Thanks for the tip.

You do have to click + Quote over on the right, if you are replying with a quote and name... it's very hard to see.

OCR said:
How about this?

Yeah, so from what I'm getting you can enter an additional quote manually through the edit function, but can't include the poster's name.

OCR said:
How about this?

Actually, I was able to insert my own text into your quote, see. Because you never said "how about this." So again, manually, you can insert a quote with the poster's name if you want to go back and edit a post and add another quote from someone. A bit of a hassle, though, is there a way to add the automatic quote insert on the edit feature?

DiracPool_OrSomeOtherUsername said:
Actually, I was able to insert my own text into your quote, see. Because you never said "how about this." So again, manually, you can insert a quote with the poster's name if you want to go back and edit a post and add another quote from someone. A bit of a hassle, though, is there a way to add the automatic quote insert on the edit feature?
The quotes are just part of your post text. So technically you can, but if you abuse it it will have consequences.

I usually use the text area for a new post to collect quotes, then copy that to the edit window.

Related to Insert Quotes: Is There a Way to Edit Posts?

1. How do I edit a post?

To edit a post, simply click on the "Edit" button located near the post. This will allow you to make any changes to the content of the post.

2. Is it possible to edit a post after it has been published?

Yes, you can edit a post even after it has been published. Just follow the same steps as editing a post that has not been published yet.

3. Can I edit a post on a different device?

Yes, you can edit a post on any device that has access to the platform where the post was originally published.

4. Will editing a post change the date and time it was originally published?

No, editing a post will not change the original date and time it was published. However, if you choose to re-publish the edited post, the new date and time will be reflected.

5. Is there a limit to how many times a post can be edited?

No, there is no limit to how many times a post can be edited. You can make changes to a post as many times as you'd like.