Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Inscribed and circumscribed quadrilateral

Andrei

Jan 18, 2013
I would like to discuss the following problem.

The quadrilateral \(\displaystyle ABCD\) is inscribed into a circle of given radius \(\displaystyle R.\) And it is circumscribed to a circle. The tangent points from the second circle produce another quadrilateral \(\displaystyle KLMN\) such that \(\displaystyle S_{ABCD}=3S_{KLMN}.\) Also \(\displaystyle \gamma\) is the angle between diagonals \(\displaystyle AC\) and \(\displaystyle BD.\) Find the area of \(\displaystyle ABCD.\)

I have no ideas. I wonder if I have to search any regularities of \(\displaystyle ABCD.\) All given elements seem to me "distanced" from each other.

earboth

Jan 30, 2012

The quadrilateral \(\displaystyle ABCD\) is inscribed into a circle of given radius \(\displaystyle R.\) And it is circumscribed to a circle. The tangent points from the second circle produce another quadrilateral \(\displaystyle KLMN\) such that \(\displaystyle S_{ABCD}=3S_{KLMN}.\) Also \(\displaystyle \gamma\) is the angle between diagonals \(\displaystyle AC\) and \(\displaystyle BD.\) Find the area of \(\displaystyle ABCD.\)

I have no ideas. I wonder if I have to search any regularities of \(\displaystyle ABCD.\) All given elements seem to me "distanced" from each other.
I can't give you a complete solution, sorry, but...

1. For symmetry reasons I assumed that the quadrilateral in question must be a trapezium.

2. The diagonals of ABCD and KLMN intersect in the same point.

3. Since I don't know what \(\displaystyle S_{ABCD}\) means I can't give you any calculations.

Attachments

Andrei

Jan 18, 2013
1. For symmetry reasons I assumed that the quadrilateral in question must be a trapezium.
3. ... I don't know what \(\displaystyle S_{ABCD}\) means ...
The red quadrilateral in your picture can also be circumscribed. \(\displaystyle S\) is the area.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012

A quadrilateral of this kind is called bicentric. You might find some useful information at Bicentric quadrilateral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.