Inscribe a polyhedron in an ellipsoid

• Thread starter TheDestroyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipsoid
In summary, a physics masters student is working on creating random polyhedra using an algorithm that assigns points on the surface of an ellipsoid. However, there may be limitations to this method as there are only three degrees of freedom for an ellipsoid while a general polyhedron can have more. It may be easier to think of it backwards, where every ellipsoid can be transformed into a sphere and thus, inscribing a polyhedron in the ellipsoid would be equivalent to inscribing it in a sphere. This means that four points would be needed to define the ellipsoid, potentially leading to limitations in creating custom convex polyhedra.
TheDestroyer
Hello mathematicians,

I'm a physics masters student and working on a subject where I have to create some random polyhedra for some purpose. I devised an algorithm to create polyhedra by assigning points on the surface of an ellipsoid, but someone told me that this causes a tough restriction on the formed polyhedra.

Actually I can't believe this, I also have a feeling that there's some theorem that would say that every polyhedron may be inscribed in an ellipsoid, is that true? could anyone please tell me where to read to understand whether this is a restriction or not?

Thank you,
Samer

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's an argument coming from a physicist.
For general polyhedra, there doesn't seem to be any severe restriction on the degrees of freedom required for their description (unless they are sufficiently regular).
I.e. for polyhedron with 30 edges. Any of those edges can be lengthened or shortened to some degree, given another (twisted version) of the original polyhedron. So it has at least 30 'degrees of freedom'. On the other hand, an ellipsoid has only 3 degrees of freedom (or 6 counting orientation).

Well I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I mean convex polyhedra, does this still apply? and in a direct answer, does this mean that creating polyhedra with points on a surface of an ellipsoid isn't "custom" enough? and is there a better way or algorithm to generate random convex polyhedra taking into account that point order is important to define surface orientation?

Thank you :)

Come on man, tell me something! :)

What's wrong with Galileo's degree of freedom argument? (BTW, I count nine degrees of freedom: Three for the center, three for the axes, and three for orientation.)

Simplify the problem a bit. Not even all quadrilaterals have a circumscribing circle. An ellipse just adds two degrees of freedom.

Thinking of it backwards makes it easier: The reason why every triangle can be inscribed in a circle isn't some magic property of triangles, it's because every circle is defined by three points, so given the vertices of a triangle you can find a circle going around it.

Every ellipsoid is the image of a sphere under an invertible linear transformation. Going backwards, from the ellipsoid to the sphere, we have that the polyhedron inscribed in the ellipsoid corresponds to a polyhedron inscribed in the sphere (linear transformations take polyhedra to polyhedra). Four points defines a sphere, so you probably can't do better than inscribing tetrahedra inside of ellipsoids in general

Thank you people :)

Related to Inscribe a polyhedron in an ellipsoid

1. How do you inscribe a polyhedron in an ellipsoid?

To inscribe a polyhedron in an ellipsoid, you will need to find the coordinates of the vertices of the polyhedron and then use a mathematical formula to transform them into the coordinates of the corresponding points on the ellipsoid. This process is known as a conformal mapping.

2. What is a polyhedron?

A polyhedron is a three-dimensional shape with flat faces, straight edges, and sharp corners. Some common examples of polyhedra include cubes, pyramids, and prisms.

3. Can any polyhedron be inscribed in an ellipsoid?

No, not all polyhedra can be inscribed in an ellipsoid. The polyhedron must have symmetrical and regular faces in order for it to be inscribed in an ellipsoid.

4. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is defined by three axes of different lengths, with the longest axis being the equatorial axis and the shortest being the polar axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of inscribing a polyhedron in an ellipsoid?

Inscribing a polyhedron in an ellipsoid can be useful in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. It can also be used to create accurate models of geological formations and land surfaces for scientific and research purposes.