Inquiry to do with conservative forces

In summary, the formula r=\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{mv^{2}} is derived from Coulomb's law and describes the force between two charges. For same charges, the force is repulsive and for opposite charges, it is attractive. The equation remains the same for both cases, but the meaning of the variables changes. The absence of a minus sign is due to the choice of zero point of potential for convenience.
AStaunton
[tex]r=\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{mv^{2}}[/tex]

The above formula is derived from coulomb's law. If we are talking about two same charges, then the force is repulsive, if two opposite charges, then attractive.
either the form of the above equation remains the same, only the meaning of the variables is slightly different, if two same charges the "r" in the equation stands for distance of closest approach and the "v" stands for initial velocity. if two opposite charges, r is the initial distance between the charges and v is the escape velocity needed (it is also the initial velocity as well I suppose).

My question is, how is it that the equation for both cases has the exact same form, since case 1 is pretty much the exact opposite of case 2, I would intuitively expect that the equations that describe them should differ by at least one minus sign, for example:

case 1:

[tex]r=\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{mv^{2}}[/tex]

case 2:

[tex]r=-\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{mv^{2}}[/tex]

<----i know case 2 equation is not correct, just to for illustrative purpose.

Looking at the correct equation it is clear to me that it is correct and it works and so on...
My question is what happened to the extra minus sign? is it because we can choose the zero point of potential arbitrarily for convenience and so the zero point is chosen for case 1 and case 2 so that there is no minus sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You're totally right. Obviously if [tex] Z_1 Z_2 < 0 [/tex], then the "general" formula is wrong since it gives a negative distance. I would guess that the general formula needs an absolute value to ensure that [tex]r >0[/tex] which is equivalent to your minus sign in case where charges are of opposite sign.

Related to Inquiry to do with conservative forces

What are conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those forces that do not depend on the path taken by an object and only depend on its initial and final positions. They include gravity, electric forces, and magnetic forces.

What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Unlike conservative forces, non-conservative forces do depend on the path taken by an object. Examples include friction, air resistance, and tension in a rope.

How do conservative forces affect an object's potential energy?

Conservative forces can change an object's potential energy by doing work on the object, which is the product of the force and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is the law of conservation of energy and how does it relate to conservative forces?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of conservative forces, the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) of an object remains constant as the forces do not dissipate energy.

What are some real-life examples of conservative forces?

One example is a pendulum swinging back and forth. As the pendulum moves, gravity and tension in the string are conservative forces that change its potential and kinetic energy. Another example is a roller coaster, where gravity is the main conservative force that allows the coaster to move along the track without losing much energy.