Inquiries on Vacuum Sphere: Spinning and Weight Difference

In summary, Steve asked if an item would spin freely in a vacuum sphere and if it would become lighter or heavier. The response was that the vacuum only reduces aerodynamic drag and has no effect on gravity. Friction can be reduced with magnetic bearings, but the weight of the object will not change.
SPS
Hi to you all,

May I just say I am not a physicist or the like so my questions may seem a bit green to you all, I wish to make something and need a little bit of info please.

With regards to a vacuum sphere, if I was to spin an item within it would it spin freely or would there be forces against it? Second silly question, does an item within the sphere become any lighter/heavier or no difference?

I hope the questions are worthy of a reply

Kind Regards

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
The vacuum will reduce aerodynamic drag, but that's all (assuming the sphere remains on Earth). You still have to deal with friction from the bearings supporting your spinning object.
A vacuum has no effect on gravity, so the relative weight of your object will not change.

Thanks Pantaz for your reply, I am hoping i may be able to use opposing magnets to reduce the weight of my spinning object

Regards

Steve

Magnetic bearings will reduce (but not eliminate) friction. Weight will be unchanged.

Related to Inquiries on Vacuum Sphere: Spinning and Weight Difference

1. What is a vacuum sphere?

A vacuum sphere is a spherical object that has been completely emptied of air or any other gas, creating a vacuum inside. This means that there is no air pressure inside the sphere, which can result in some interesting properties and phenomena.

2. How does the spinning of a vacuum sphere affect its weight?

When a vacuum sphere is spun, it creates a centrifugal force that pulls the object towards the outside of the sphere. This force can counteract the weight of the object, making it appear lighter. However, the actual weight of the sphere remains the same.

3. Why does a vacuum sphere spin longer than a regular sphere?

A vacuum sphere spins longer than a regular sphere because there is no air resistance inside the sphere. This means that there is less friction and drag acting on the sphere, allowing it to spin for a longer period of time.

4. Can a vacuum sphere be used to generate energy?

While a vacuum sphere does have some interesting properties, it is not a viable source of energy. The amount of energy required to create and maintain a vacuum inside the sphere would far outweigh any energy that could potentially be generated.

5. Are there any real-world applications for vacuum spheres?

Yes, vacuum spheres have some practical applications in industries such as aerospace and astronomy. They are used in vacuum chambers to simulate the conditions of outer space and in gyroscopes for navigation and stabilization systems.