Lifegazer's Departure: PF Staff & Self Discontinue Member Status

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: he deserved? Originally posted by FZ+ Well, good-bye, Lifegazer.Originally posted by LogicalAtheist Are you serious? WOW!Based on what I've seen I agree, and I'm happy to know the admins here are actively keeping up with the forums. Normally someone like LIFE is around because admins just don't bother the time.Very happy to be here!Greg,How will his departure relate to the question raised over how to split Philosophy?LG,I want you to know that you have my most sincere best wishes for your future happiness.
A decesion has been made by the PF staff and myself to respectfully discontinue Lifegazer's member status. We feel his negative impact on the forums needed to be delt with. Lifegazer has been contacted and there are no hard feelings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you serious? WOW!

Based on what I've seen I agree, and I'm happy to know the admins here are actively keeping up with the forums. Normally someone like LIFE is around because admins just don't bother the time.

Very happy to be here!

Greg,
How will his departure relate to the question raised over how to split Philosophy?

LG,
I want you to know that you have my most sincere best wishes for your future happiness.

really? Lifegazer and I don't talk much however through the little i saw of him he seemed nice...then again i don't visit the philosophy forum so I suppose i should keep out of this... farewell LG:smile:

NO! Are you serious? Oh, God. :frown:

Well, good-bye, Lifegazer.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
Are you serious? WOW!

Based on what I've seen I agree, and I'm happy to know the admins here are actively keeping up with the forums. Normally someone like LIFE is around because admins just don't bother the time.

Very happy to be here!

No offense, but if you'd been here for any significant amount of time, you would realize Lifegazer's actual worth. As it is, you were only here for a rather low-point, and so of course you rejoice.

(Don't take this wrong, I'm glad you're here too, I just wish so many people hadn't misunderstood Lifegazer).

Originally posted by BoulderHead
LG,
I want you to know that you have my most sincere best wishes for your future happiness.

I second that, wholeheartedly.

You guys,

LG is not dead, he just won't be at PF anymore. If you want to talk to him...

lifegazer@yahoo.com

It's a shame he decided to leave. (he did leave volountarily, right?) But it doesn't really make sense to me. The God Topics thing turned out as he wanted, with philosophical posts about God allowed in the philosophy forum. What got him to leave? I hope he won't be bitter about this...

Originally posted by FZ+
It's a shame he decided to leave. (he did leave volountarily, right?)

No, the decision was ours. The fact of the matter is that his posts demanded the attention of the Mentors, and there were simply too many of his posts for us to keep up with. To continue as we did, we would have had to appoint a PF Mentor whose sole job is to keep track of him, which is just too much to ask of anyone. The Mentors and Advisors are here to enjoy PF, too, and something like that is just not enjoyable.

You made a good decision. In the future (probably this year) I'll be opening an enormous website. I can't reveal the name because I don't own the domain yet.

However, it's concept comes from LONG research of the entirity of the internet that involves athiesm. I will have a large science forum. It will have forums about anything atheists want me to list a forum about.

For you atheists, it's a theist-free site. They won't be allowed. Other systems of irrationality will also not be allowed. Opinion (without committing the subjectivist fallacy) will be welcomes. But you can't cross that line too much...

It's a site that will take a lot of working to get, because it will be part of a network, perhaps the actual atheist network, perhaps a network I create myself, we'll see.

Originally posted by Tom
You guys,

LG is not dead, he just won't be at PF anymore. If you want to talk to him...

lifegazer@yahoo.com
Thanks anyway Tom, I wanted to express my best wishes to LG 'cause it’s unlikely I will ever hear from him again. I didn't really have anything to talk to him about, MIND you.

BH,

Hey, give whatever well-wishes to him that you want here. I wasn't talking about your post so much as Mentat's. From the mournful tone of it, you would think that we had had LG executed! I just wanted to bring this back to Earth and let everyone know that they can still have discussions with him if they want.

I would even recommend a forum for it:

http://www.sciforums.com

This forum is very much a "free range". I think that LG's stuff would even be accepted in the Physics and Math forum there, and it has an enormous membership.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
A decesion has been made by the PF staff and myself to respectfully discontinue Lifegazer's member status. We feel his negative impact on the forums needed to be delt with. Lifegazer has been contacted and there are no hard feelings.

I don't feel personally sorry for LG, cause he got what he deserved.
I think however it should be stressed that this policy has to do with the way of discussing, behaviour in discussion and ignoring reaon, and not in first instance his philosophical point of view as such.

Greetings !

This is very unfotunate and I disagree with
this discision. You didn't ban Iachuss,
for example, although all he posts is
just God God God. LG actually discussed
a very wide variety of topics and certainly
expressed many usefull and amongst them
many correct PoV. Even if his arguing methods
were often very weird to say the least, such
discussions were quite informing and usefull
due to the interaction of all the participators.
I think that one of the most usefull ways of
learning is by observing a progressing conflict
between opposing ideas.

Further more, he was always nice to people and
I don't think there was a single case when
he intentionally attempted to insult someone
or somebody's PoV. I don't think he ever
violated any PF Guidelines either.

Too bad ! :frown:

LG, if you're reading this I wish you all
the best and remember there are many other
forums out there (though PF's great !) and
many other usernames. :wink:

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by Tom
BH,

Hey, give whatever well-wishes to him that you want here. I wasn't talking about your post so much as Mentat's. From the mournful tone of it, you would think that we had had LG executed!

Well you did, but I want to clear up that I think you made the right choice (the only better choice being to assign me that responsibility, of Mentoring all of his posts :wink:).

I agree with drag, to block him permanently isn't the right decision. There are numerous people who should be banned, if banning is an action you think reasonable, that should have been banned before someone like LG.

If the problem was the amount of reviewing required, you should have warned him, and perhaps looked at the submitters, perhaps they felt insulted by his posts, as he dealt with Philosophy and God, which is a touchy subject.

Crazy World:smile: Get blocked from a forum just because people don't take kindly to your opinions

Some things need to be cleared up.

Originally posted by drag
You didn't ban Iachuss,
for example, although all he posts is
just God God God.

You do not understand: LG is not gone because he likes to talk about god. If that were the case, we would indeed have taken the same action with Iacchus32, Tog Neve, and a few others. The problem is not a desire to talk about god, the problem is...

LG actually discussed
a very wide variety of topics and certainly
expressed many usefull and amongst them
many correct PoV.

Yes, he did discuss a wide variety of topics. Among them included relativity, quantum mechanics, evolution, biochemistry, cognitive science, logic, and epistemology. And herein lies the entire problem: He was rewriting all of these subjects to suit his religious beliefs. PF is supposed to be a place where people come to be educated. If people (particularly young people) listen to him, it serves only to hamper the educational process, not help it. That is why the Mentors (especially me) felt the need to get involved, and eventually we simply tired of it. LG simply refused to learn from our explanations why he is so badly mistaken on just about every subject on which he tried to debate.

Further more, he was always nice to people and
I don't think there was a single case when
he intentionally attempted to insult someone
or somebody's PoV. I don't think he ever
violated any PF Guidelines either.

The first sentence is not true. In one of his final posts, he referred to Kerrie as Greg's "puppet". Also, several threads of his that went on for pages and pages led to his insulting the intelligence or questioning the common sense of those who did not agree with him (because, of course, he uses "pure logic"). In any case, the PF guidelines are not meant to be comprehensive. Crackpottery of LG's type is typically met with a ban. The same went for Donde, Hannon and Morp. We showed a lot more patience with LG, and he is the first case that was put to a vote among the Mentors and Advisors.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
There are numerous people who should be banned, if banning is an action you think reasonable, that should have been banned before someone like LG.

We do think it is reasonable. If you think there are others who should not be here, then register a complaint with one of us and we will look into it.

If the problem was the amount of reviewing required, you should have warned him, and perhaps looked at the submitters, perhaps they felt insulted by his posts, as he dealt with Philosophy and God, which is a touchy subject.

He was warned repeatedly--both in the threads and by private messages--not to post his crackpot theories at PF. Having completely disregarded the warnings, he continued doing what he was doing.

Crazy World Get blocked from a forum just because people don't take kindly to your opinions

That is very much not the reason he was banned. He was sent away because of his hard headed refusal to learn, coupled with his equally hard headed refusal to stop posting his flawed ideas (particluarly on scientific subjects) at PF.

Oh, and drag:

LG, if you're reading this I wish you all
the best and remember there are many other
forums out there (though PF's great !) and
many other usernames.
:wink:

###Yes###, there ~may-be~ many other user-names '''but''' there is no-way to cover up his !@profuse@! usage of strange-emphatic-font, nor his erratic over-use of hyph-en-at-ed words. We'd spot him sooner or later.:wink:

Last edited:

Originally posted by Tom
We do think it is reasonable. If you think there are others who should not be here, then register a complaint with one of us and we will look into it.

I was referring to, if you think it is reasonable to ban someone due to the way LG behaved.

He was warned repeatedly--both in the threads and by private messages--not to post his crackpot theories at PF. Having completely disregarded the warnings, he continued doing what he was doing.

If this is in fact true, and the consequences were clearly layed out for him, then I have nothing to say here I guess, if he ignored warnings then he chose to be banned.

That is very much not the reason he was banned. He was sent away because of his hard headed refusal to learn, coupled with his equally hard headed refusal to stop posting his flawed ideas (particluarly on scientific subjects) at PF.

People are banned because their ideas are flawed, and they don't see it, hmm...why is there even a religious part of PF then?

I completely understand ur reasoning for banning him, I simply don't agree.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
I was referring to, if you think it is reasonable to ban someone due to the way LG behaved.

He wasn't banned for being offensive. In fact, I think he is not even close to the most offensive member. The problem is that his ideas are fundamentally anti-science, and totally unfounded by either evidence or logic. He was banned for being impossible to work with on these fronts. We just kept going around in circles with him, making no progress as frustration mounted.

People are banned because their ideas are flawed, and they don't see it,

After great lengths are gone to to work with those people: Yes.

Such people are determined to be a threat to the educational value and credibility of Physics Forums, and we cannot take an infinite amount of time explaining to those people why they are wrong. Reasonable people will accept correction, unreasonable people will not. Lifegazer would not.

hmm...why is there even a religious part of PF then?

For religious discussions, of course. We do not mind hosting such discussions, as long as they are not anti-science, or more generally, anti-education.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Tom
Yes, he did discuss a wide variety of topics.
Among them included relativity, quantum
mechanics, evolution, biochemistry, cognitive
science, logic, and epistemology. And herein
lies the entire problem: He was rewriting all
of these subjects to suit his religious beliefs.
PF is supposed to be a place where people come
to be educated. If people (particularly young
people) listen to him, it serves only to hamper
the educational process, not help it. That is
why the Mentors (especially me) felt the need
to get involved, and eventually we simply tired
of it. LG simply refused to learn from our
explanations why he is so badly mistaken on just
about every subject on which he tried to debate.
I see. Well, I guess this is indeed a pretty
good reason. I have to admit I forgot
about that part. For me personally discussions
with him were often quite fun due to
a number of reasons. Though, I have to
admit I kin'na lost interest in most of his
threads recently, before he was banned,
because the points were kin'na old and
familiar and my objections too, so there
was little of interest left to say.

It's still a bit of a shame though...

Live long and prosper.

Funny you should mention Philosophy Forums.

When I introduced myself there:

Hi,

I didn't want to clutter up the board with another "Hi, I'm new!" thread, so I looked for the most recent one.

I'm new to this board, and to philosophy. I've been getting into it at physicsforums.com (where I am simply "Tom". I wanted that name here too, but some no good $#@%$ already took it. j/k). This looks like a lively board, and I am looking forward to being active in it.

Tom

a moderator promplty responded with:

Your welcome here so long as you don't bring lifegazer

Originally posted by FZ+
Note: To all tempted to reply in the other forum, please don't yet. It's their turn...

I ain't even thinking about it!

Tom, Thanks for clearing up why LG was banned, I appreciate the time you took for my [personal] clarification and understanding.

Originally posted by Tom
###Yes###, there ~may-be~ many other user-names '''but''' there is no-way to cover up his !@profuse@! usage of strange-emphatic-font, nor his erratic over-use of hyph-en-at-ed words. We'd spot him sooner or later.:wink:
It is fun to see him over at @ 'the other forum' and watch as ~they~ attempt to explain "things" to 'him'. I wonder how #long# it will take be-fore "they" take to beating *their* heads against the MIND, err I mean WALL.

I remind you that it was Imanuel Kant who first proposed that the galaxy is a small part of a large universe. That dude took a lot of abuse here, and that's too bad.

He did not however propose to have proven that the galaxy did not exist. That was really my problem - his insistence that his arguments extend to more than possibilities into absolute truth, and that his opponents are neccessarily unreasonable.

Well I just heard about this today. I wondered where LG was. Since he hs left, the philosophy forum has been taken over by even worse abominations.

Overall, I am disappointed this happened. But I did catch the debate over at philosophyforums.com. I couldn't help but chuckle a little watching those guys respond.

Originally posted by Tom
LG is not dead, he just won't be at PF anymore.[/B]

LifeGazer Is Still PF Member .. But Not Physicsforums.com Member , He Is a Member at his site : PhysicsForum.co.uk

haha, does that site still exist? I remember when we all got emailed and told that 'PF has moved! Come to this site!'

I remember greg emailed the owner of the site and sorted them out.

Anyway, if you happen to come back and read this thread lifegazer, good luck, have fun. See you sometime in the strange world that is the internet...

I don't believe it. I left PF fer a few months to concentrate on my Mid-year assessment and so many things happened. The worst part is that i missed them all.

If you miss Lifegazer, he can also found hanging out at sciforums.com

But that site has only 32 members...and it stinks. Why would Lifegazer want to go there? Sciforums I could see, they have a site similar to PF and have many members. But how interesting can this evil twin of physics forums be? It has only 21 topics and 32 members!

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is "Lifegazer's Departure" and why is it important?</h2><p>"Lifegazer's Departure" refers to the departure of a member from the PF (Professional Forum) staff or their self-discontinuation from their member status. This is important because it can affect the dynamics and operations of the PF community.</p><h2>2. How does a member become a part of the PF staff?</h2><p>A member becomes a part of the PF staff by being nominated by current staff members and then going through a voting process by the rest of the staff. Once a member is elected, they are given specific responsibilities and duties within the community.</p><h2>3. What is self-discontinuation and why do members choose to do it?</h2><p>Self-discontinuation is when a member voluntarily chooses to discontinue their member status in the PF community. This can happen for various reasons such as personal reasons, lack of time, or wanting to move on to other endeavors.</p><h2>4. How does the departure of a staff member affect the PF community?</h2><p>The departure of a staff member can affect the PF community in various ways. It can lead to a change in leadership, a shift in responsibilities, and a change in the overall dynamics of the community. It can also affect the community's trust and confidence in the remaining staff members.</p><h2>5. Is there a process for a member to return to their staff or member status after self-discontinuation?</h2><p>Yes, there is a process for a member to return to their staff or member status after self-discontinuation. They can reach out to the current staff members and express their interest in returning. The staff will then discuss and vote on whether to allow the member to return or not.</p>

1. What is "Lifegazer's Departure" and why is it important?

"Lifegazer's Departure" refers to the departure of a member from the PF (Professional Forum) staff or their self-discontinuation from their member status. This is important because it can affect the dynamics and operations of the PF community.

2. How does a member become a part of the PF staff?

A member becomes a part of the PF staff by being nominated by current staff members and then going through a voting process by the rest of the staff. Once a member is elected, they are given specific responsibilities and duties within the community.

3. What is self-discontinuation and why do members choose to do it?

Self-discontinuation is when a member voluntarily chooses to discontinue their member status in the PF community. This can happen for various reasons such as personal reasons, lack of time, or wanting to move on to other endeavors.

4. How does the departure of a staff member affect the PF community?

The departure of a staff member can affect the PF community in various ways. It can lead to a change in leadership, a shift in responsibilities, and a change in the overall dynamics of the community. It can also affect the community's trust and confidence in the remaining staff members.

5. Is there a process for a member to return to their staff or member status after self-discontinuation?

Yes, there is a process for a member to return to their staff or member status after self-discontinuation. They can reach out to the current staff members and express their interest in returning. The staff will then discuss and vote on whether to allow the member to return or not.