Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Inner City Schools

• Banned

RTCNTC

Banned
Jan 31, 2017
As a former NYC sub teacher, I can safely say that students in inner city schools are struggling big time. They are promoted from grade to grade without proper training. Most graduate from high school with a middle school reading, writing and math level. What, in your opinion, is the best solution to this educational disaster?

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
It's quite a pickle. I think we need to wait it out for better technologies.

For example, consider a student sometime in the future, perhaps 50-80 years from now. It's hard to imagine that this student would be physically attending classes which are given by the same teachers for years. After all, how inefficient is that! We seem to be comfortable with the fact that everyone learns differently, and some teachers get the message across better to certain audiences. I agree with this from experience.

So instead of having a pile of individual schools with fixed teachers, we set up a sort of 'national school', or even 'global school' were students can learn from teachers of their choosing online. Now, currently every school seems to follow slightly different curricula and structure which may not allow things to work for this case. However, I suspect some sort of standard can be found and agreed upon in the coming future.

Also, I imagine teaching into a camera (live) from an office is more enticing for aspiring teachers as well. This is where the technology comes in and I leave most of it to your imagination: We need extremely stable and quality streaming capabilities, flexible tablet devices which allow for writing notes and distributing homework, forums dedicated to that class only etc.

I might be argued that attending school is not only about education, but serves as a place for students to develop soft skills such as communication etc. I think this is mostly nonsense and can be achieved through other means.

Seems I got a bit carried away here..

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think the solution is to make the public schools compete: give tax credits to anyone who doesn't send their kids to the public schools. Vouchers won't work, because schools that get them have to do what the government says, and the government has abundantly proved that it is incapable of running schools well (at least as the near-monopoly that they have right now). But tax credits could work: the government hasn't gotten its filthy claws on the money, so parents could use it how they like with no repercussions on the school to which they give it.

• Banned

RTCNTC

Banned
Jan 31, 2017
I like what both of you said. I think that grade promotion without earning the credit, without much learning or no learning at all is a huge crime againts our kids. What about removing illiterate, confused people from the ranks of teacher?

The standardized exams are too easy. Too many people are passing, people with just an 8th or 9th grade education. I passed the LAST exam in 2001 to get the subbing job. It is quite simple. I am no master at test taking but neither am I gifted for teaching.