Initial velocity of projectile given angle and max height

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the initial speed of a projectile fired at an angle of 43.00 degrees above the horizontal, given that it reached a maximum height of 2974 metres. The equation used is Vy2 = V0y² - 2g(y - y0), with the vertical component of velocity (v_y) equal to 0 at the top of the flight. The angle is also involved, with v_o sinθ being the variable to solve for. The method used is correct and the answer was obtained successfully.
ulfy01

Homework Statement

A projectile was fired across level ground at an initial angle of 43.00 degrees above the horizontal. During its flight, it reached a maximum height of 2974 metres. What was the initial speed of this projectile?

Homework Equations

I assume that the correct equation to use is Vy2 = V0y² - 2g(y - y0).

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not even sure how to go about it. Given the equation, I would rearrange for V0y² however that doesn't seem to work at all. I'm not even sure what the value of Vy has to be. I also suspect the angle comes into play, but I'm not sure what it can tell me. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct.
At the top of the flight, there is no vertical component of velocity, so [itex] v_y = 0 [/itex] there. You are also correct that the angle is involved. Indeed, [itex] v_o\sinθ= v_{oy} [/itex] and it is this [itex] v_o [/itex] that you are solving for.

You're a life savior. It's this vo sinθ= voy that I wasn't able to get to. I got the answer right. Thank you so much!

Related to Initial velocity of projectile given angle and max height

1. What is the formula for calculating the initial velocity of a projectile given the angle and maximum height?

The formula for calculating the initial velocity of a projectile is v0 = √(2gh) / sinθ, where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the maximum height, and θ is the angle of projection.

2. How does changing the angle affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

Changing the angle of projection will change the initial velocity of a projectile. The initial velocity will be highest when the angle is 45 degrees, and will decrease as the angle increases or decreases from 45 degrees. This is because the sine function reaches its maximum value at 45 degrees.

3. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be negative. This would indicate that the projectile is moving in the opposite direction of the angle of projection.

4. How does the maximum height of a projectile affect the initial velocity?

The maximum height of a projectile does not directly affect the initial velocity. However, the initial velocity will need to be adjusted in order to reach the desired maximum height. This can be done by changing the angle of projection or the initial velocity itself.

5. Is the initial velocity of a projectile affected by air resistance?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be affected by air resistance, particularly at higher velocities. Air resistance will cause the projectile to slow down, and therefore the initial velocity will need to be greater to achieve the same maximum height as in the absence of air resistance.