Initial Velocity from Highest point and angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the launch speed of a projectile launched at a certain angle and clearing a certain height. The speaker has used trigonometry to find the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, but is missing information about time and acceleration. They are seeking help in finding the total magnitude of the velocity.
litzkrieg
Ok so having a little problem with this one and i feel like its easier than what i am seeing, but just not sure how i can get a V-initial from this (Replaced actual numbers with AAA and BBB because i am trying to recall how to do all this, hope ya'll don't mind variables to much lol)

The highest barrier that a projectile can clear is AAA m, when the projectile is launched at an angle of BBB ° above the horizontal. What is the projectile's launch speed

so i did use some trig and figured out the X-distance and the Hypot. but i wasn't given a time or acceleration...i've been looking through and rearranging some equations, and i feel like I am just missing something obvious...help please

Thank you, Litzkrieg

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the projectile's maximum height, you can easily figure out its initial vertical speed, since the projectile experiences constant acceleration in the vertical direction, and its speed reaches 0 at max height.

If you know the vertical component of the initial velocity, and you know the angle, then you can find the horizontal component of the initial velocity.

Once you know both components, you can find the total magnitude of the velocity.

Related to Initial Velocity from Highest point and angle?

1. What is initial velocity from highest point and angle?

Initial velocity from highest point and angle refers to the speed at which an object is launched from the highest point of its trajectory, at a specific angle with the horizontal. It is an important parameter in projectile motion calculations.

2. How is initial velocity from highest point and angle calculated?

The initial velocity from highest point and angle can be calculated using the formula V0 = v0sinα, where V0 is the initial velocity, v0 is the initial speed, and α is the angle with the horizontal.

3. Why is initial velocity from highest point and angle important?

Initial velocity from highest point and angle is important because it affects the trajectory of a projectile and determines its range, height, and time of flight. It is also used in various real-world applications, such as in sports, engineering, and military operations.

4. Can the initial velocity from highest point and angle be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity from highest point and angle can be negative if the object is launched downwards instead of upwards. In this case, the initial velocity will have a negative value, but the angle will still be measured with respect to the horizontal.

5. How does air resistance affect initial velocity from highest point and angle?

Air resistance can decrease the initial velocity from highest point and angle by exerting a force opposite to the direction of motion. This can result in a shorter range and lower height of the projectile compared to the theoretical calculations without air resistance.