Initial Velocity and Acceleration-

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial velocity and acceleration of a car driving on a straight road. The positions and time intervals are given, and the solution involves calculating the velocity using the slopes and the acceleration using the average of the slopes. The final answer for the initial velocity is 25.4 m/s.
needhelpfast
Initial Velocity and Acceleration--Please Help!

Homework Statement

You are driving along a straight section of roadway (x-axis). You spot a police officer and apply the brakes, slowing down at a constant rate. Your positions (in meters) at successive time intervals of 0.515 s are tabulated below as function of time. (1) Calculate the initial speed (i.e., the speed at t=0, the time at which the brakes are first applied.). (2) Calculate your acceleration along the x-axis, ax.
NOTE: Both answers must be correct to get credit.
x (m) 6.00 18.46 30.00 40.60
t (s) 0.000 0.515 1.030 1.545

Homework Equations

vi=d/t-at/2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, i found the velocity by doing the slopes, and the points i got were

.2575, 24.194
.7725, 22.408
1.2875, 20.583

i then found the slopes of those to get the acceleration, and i got -3.468 and -3.544. therefore the average acceleration is -3.5 m/s2

i then plugged the acceleration into the equation above and got that the initial velocity would be 25.1 m/s

i'm not sure about this answer, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Please help! This is due really soon!

Your solution is OK, but I got 25.4 m/s for the initial velocity, using the first interval.

ehild

Related to Initial Velocity and Acceleration-

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a time interval. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by using the equation v0 = u + at, where v0 is the initial velocity, u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. An object can accelerate by changing its speed, direction, or both.

4. How is acceleration related to initial velocity?

Acceleration and initial velocity are related through the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. This equation shows that the final velocity of an object is dependent on its initial velocity and the acceleration it experiences.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the average rate of change of an object's velocity over a given time interval. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval. Instantaneous acceleration, on the other hand, is the acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's velocity with respect to time.