Understanding dy/dx in Calculus

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the notation dy/dx comes from Leibniz's notation for derivatives, where 'd' or delta represents 'a small change in'. It can behave as a fraction, allowing for properties like the chain rule. However, the derivative is strictly defined as a limit and should not be separated into 'dy' and 'dx' without considering the limit. Additionally, 'dx' is defined symbolically and should not appear in an equation without a corresponding 'dy' or vice versa, unless it is in an integral.
david90
I don't get the concept of the notation dy/dx. Sometimes my physics teacher puts dx in the back of an equation and cross multiply with other number. Does this mean dx can be multiply like numbers? I just don't get the overall concept of dy/dx.

I'm in 3rd year calculus and I understand that derivative is the instantaneous rate of change but how does it relates to the notation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I hope I don't confuse you more (I'm not entirely certain myself).

The notation dy/dx comes from Leibniz's notation of derivatives. Originally, he used the Greek small delta (δ) which looks a bit like a 'd'. Anyway, the d or delta represents 'a small change in'. So dy/dx means 'the small change in y, with relation to x'.

Now the dy/dx notation has one useful property to it, and that is that it can behave as a fraction. Consider the Chain Rule:

dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx

The du's can cancel as though they were in fractions, to give you dy/dx again.

This becomes more pointed with differential equations and the relation with integration, where you can 'move' the dx to be able to integrate a DE.

I think that should about cover the very basic info about dy/dx notation... you'll probably get a better answer from a real mathematician...

Good luck. :smile:

Last edited:
One of the things your textbook should make clear (and you should ask your teacher about) is the distinction between "derivative" and "differential".

The derivative (represented y'(Newton's notation) or dy/dx (Leibniz' notation)) is NOT defined as a fraction. Strictly speaking it is incorrect to separate the "dy" from the "dx" in the derivative.

HOWEVER! dy/dx IS defined as the "limit of a fraction". One can prove "fraction-like" properties (chain rule: dy/dz= (dy/dx)(dx/dz) for example) by going back before the limit, cancelling parts of fractions, and then taking the limit. That is, we can always TREAT a derivative like a fraction. To take advantage of that, we define "dx" purely symbolically and then define dy by "dy= f'(x) dx". Given that definition, dy/dx DOES represent a fraction! Since dx is only defined symbolically, you should never have a dx in an equation without a corresponding dy (or vice-versa) unless it is in an integral (which effectively removes the derivative).

If you are wondering what I mean by "define symbolically", well, we can define differentials precisely in "differential forms" but that is beyond calculus so just "think" of it as symbolic.
You might want to check out Lethe's thread "differential forms" under the differential equation forum.

1. What is dy/dx in Calculus?

Dy/dx is a mathematical notation used in calculus to represent the derivative of a function. It is also known as the derivative of y with respect to x, and it measures the rate of change of the function at a specific point.

2. Why is dy/dx important in Calculus?

Dy/dx is important in Calculus because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point. It helps us to determine the slope of a curve, find critical points, and solve optimization problems. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in higher level mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you find dy/dx in Calculus?

To find dy/dx, you need to use the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient. The steps involved in finding dy/dx include identifying the function, applying the differentiation rules, simplifying the expression, and evaluating the limit as the change in x approaches zero.

4. What is the difference between dy/dx and d/dx?

Dy/dx and d/dx are both notations used in Calculus to represent derivatives. However, dy/dx is used to represent the derivative of a specific function, while d/dx is used to represent the derivative of any function. In other words, dy/dx is a specific derivative, while d/dx is a general derivative.

5. How does dy/dx relate to the slope of a curve?

Dy/dx is directly related to the slope of a curve at a specific point. When dy/dx is positive, the slope of the curve is increasing; when dy/dx is negative, the slope of the curve is decreasing; and when dy/dx is equal to zero, the slope of the curve is constant. Therefore, dy/dx helps us to understand the behavior and changes in slope of a curve at a particular point.