Which Encyclopedia Should You Buy: Britannica, Grolier, or Encarta?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the comparison between the encyclopedias Britannica, Grolier, and Encarta. The general consensus is that Britannica is the best option for professional and in-depth research, but its full multi-volume edition can be expensive. Encarta is preferred for its ease of use, especially for children. However, some argue that Britannica contains a lot of typos. Overall, the best choice depends on individual preferences and needs.
Saint
Britannica, Grolier, Encarta or what ?

Which is better ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Brittanica is, in my opinion, easily the best researched and most reliable of all of those...although, like the OED, to get the absolute best from it would require getting the full multi-volume complete edition, which is somewhat expensive. Encyclopaedias, like dictionaries, tend not to differ that much in their concise one or two volume or CD-ROM editions, so there's pobably not that much to choose between.

Just ask me. The Encyclopedia Adam. I may be full of crap, but at least I'm free.

It depends

Best encyclopedia is Bratanicca. Of course most popular is encarta. Encarta is preferred since it's ease of use. I use Encarta but they are equally good. But bratannica is better.

Originally posted by Adam
I may be full of crap, but at least I'm free.

That's what she said.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
That's what she said.
Who or what is "she"?

Britannica Is the best If you're looking for something proffesional , but If you are want something for kids , try Encarta , it's more easy to use.

But Britannica contains LOTS of typos , I have Britannica 2002 , and I noticed LOTS of typos is some issues.

I don't know which one is better, but...

This one seems to be nearly free of cost if you take advantage of the rebate;

What makes a good encyclopaedia?

A good encyclopaedia should have comprehensive and accurate information, ease of use, and reputable sources. It should also be regularly updated to include new information and should have a user-friendly layout and navigation system.

What is the difference between print and digital encyclopaedias?

The main difference between print and digital encyclopaedias is the format. Print encyclopaedias are physical books while digital encyclopaedias can be accessed online or through electronic devices. Digital encyclopaedias also have the advantage of being regularly updated and may have additional features such as multimedia content.

Are there any encyclopaedias that cover all subjects?

No, there is no single encyclopaedia that covers all subjects. Most encyclopaedias focus on specific subject areas such as science, history, or literature. However, some encyclopaedias may have a broader scope and cover a variety of topics.

What is the best encyclopaedia for students?

The best encyclopaedia for students depends on the age, grade level, and subject area. Some popular encyclopaedias for students include Encyclopedia Britannica, World Book, and DK Online.

How can I determine if an encyclopaedia is reliable?

To determine the reliability of an encyclopaedia, you should consider the author or publisher, the sources cited, and the date of publication. Encyclopaedias from reputable publishers and those that cite reliable sources are more likely to be reliable. It is also important to check when the encyclopaedia was last updated to ensure the information is current.