Initial value problem for exact equations

In summary: I apologize for the mistake. In summary, the student is asking about how to integrate a function with a constant coefficient. They are looking for an answer to the equation C=6x where x is in the range -1 to 1. They are also looking for an answer to the equation \displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{(x)} - \sin{(x)}\sin{(y)} \end{align*} where x and y are in the range -1 to 1.
find_the_fun
I've got a few small questions I'd like to straighten out. I'm really trying to establish a firm procedure involving the steps I write down because I find it helps me learn the math and avoid errors.

Solve the initial value problem: \(\displaystyle (x+y)^2 dx +(2xy+x^2-1)dy = 0\) with \(\displaystyle y(1)=1\)

So let \(\displaystyle M(x, y) =(x+y)^2\)

Question 1: I write M(x, y) because M is a function of x and y. I that correct or is M only a function of one variable?

Question 2: should dx be part of the equation for M(x, y) or no?

let \(\displaystyle N(x, y) = 2xy+x^2-1\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial M(x, y)}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (x^2+y^2+2xy)=2y+2x\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial N(x, y)}{\partial x}=2y+2x\) therefore equation is exact
\(\displaystyle \frac{ \partial f(x, y)}{\partial x} = M(x, y) = x^2+y^2+2xy\) implies \(\displaystyle f(x, y)= \int x^2+y^2+2xy dx = \frac{x^3}{3}+y^2x+x^2y+g(y)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \partial f(x, y)}{ \partial y} N(x, y) = 2xy+x^2-1 = 2yx+y+g'(y)\) solving for \(\displaystyle g'(y)=x^2-y-1\)
\(\displaystyle g(y)= \int x^2-y-1 dy = x^2y-\frac{y^2}{2}-y\)
Question 3: following the examples in my textbook I noticed we don't have a \(\displaystyle C\) for the constant of integration. Why does it get omitted?
so \(\displaystyle f(x, y) = \frac{x^3}{3}+y^2x+x^2y+x^2y-\frac{y^2}{2}-y=\frac{x^3}{3}+y^2x+2x^2y-\frac{y^2}{2}-y=C\)

Now plugging in initial values

\(\displaystyle \frac{1^3}{3} + 1 +2 - \frac{1^2}{2} -1 = C\)
Question 4: a little embarrassing but does the exponent apply to the whole fraction or just the numerator? For example is \(\displaystyle \frac{1^3}{3}=\frac{1}{3}\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{1^3}{3} = \frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac{1}{3}\)? Obviously in LaTex I'm writing it as the 3 only applies to the 1 but given the context that the derivative of \(\displaystyle x^n=(n-1)x^{n-1}\) which is it?

Question 5: in an example my textbook takes the equation an multiplies away the denominators. Doesn't this mess up the initial values and finding C? For example
\(\displaystyle \frac{1^3}{3} + 1 +2 - \frac{1^2}{2} -1 = C\)
multiply both sides of the equation by 6
\(\displaystyle 2 \cdot 1^3 +6+12-3\cdot 1^2-6=6C_1=C\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{(x)} - \sin{(x)}\sin{(y)} \end{align*}[/tex] from?

Prove It said:
Where did you get [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{(x)} - \sin{(x)}\sin{(y)} \end{align*}[/tex] from?

I transcribed the wrong work from the paper to this site.

Related to Initial value problem for exact equations

What is an initial value problem for exact equations?

An initial value problem for exact equations is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to an ordinary differential equation (ODE) that satisfies a given initial condition. The solution must also satisfy a specific condition known as an exact equation, which is a type of differential equation where the total derivative of the unknown function can be written as a linear combination of the function and its partial derivatives.

What makes an equation "exact"?

An equation is considered exact if its total derivative can be written as a linear combination of the function and its partial derivatives. In other words, the coefficients of the function and its partial derivatives must be the same, and the equation must satisfy a specific condition known as the exactness condition. This condition involves equating the mixed partial derivatives of the function to each other.

How do you solve an initial value problem for exact equations?

To solve an initial value problem for exact equations, you first need to check if the equation is exact. If it is, you can use a method called the method of exact equations to find the solution. This involves finding a function known as the potential function, which is defined as the integral of one of the terms in the equation. Then, by finding the partial derivatives of the potential function, you can construct the solution to the initial value problem.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving an initial value problem for exact equations?

Initial conditions are essential in solving an initial value problem for exact equations because they provide the specific values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a given point. These conditions help determine the values of the arbitrary constants that appear in the solution, making it possible to find a unique solution to the problem.

What are some real-world applications of initial value problems for exact equations?

Initial value problems for exact equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the reaction rate of a chemical process. They can also be used in financial modeling, such as predicting stock market trends or forecasting economic growth.