Initial Speed of a Golf Ball Hit at 45° Angle

In summary, a golf ball is hit at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal and travels 200 m. By breaking down the problem into the horizontal and vertical dimensions, we can set up equations to find the initial speed of the ball. The initial speed is zero, as the ball is at rest before being hit and then travels with a speed of 44.271 m/s horizontally and vertically.
xstetsonx
A golf ball is hit and makes a 45o angle with the horizontal as it leaves the tee. It lands 200 m away. What was the ball’s initial speed?

I though i know this well but i don't even know how to set this up

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to at least make an attempt at the problem, even if you're just guessing.

Try dividing up the problem into two dimensions: the horizontal and the vertical. Questions:
a) What happens as the ball moves upwards (vertical)?
b) What happens as the ball moves forward (horizontal)?

Try answering these and see where they take you.

as i said i don't know how to set it up...all i know is i need to find t in order to find the Vi on the horizontal part and the vertical part has g as acceleration and on the vertex the Vf is 0

You're on the right track. I'm trying to help you set it up by asking you leading questions, so you should try answering the questions :wink: If you have to guess at the answers, that's ok :smile:

I'll give you another hint: you don't need to find t. t is going to cancel out at the end, so don't worry about actually finding it yet. We need to set up equations for the horizontal and vertical directions first. These equations will include t as a variable.

The questions in post #2 will help you set up the equations you need, so I want you to try and answer them first.

(200)/(Vicos45)=t=2((Visin4)/(-9.8))
----horizontal----------vertical-----

is that even close?

Looks close. You can break down your steps for me so I can tell you where any mistakes might be. It's also helpful (for both of us) if you include units :)

Okay, so 200 m / (Vicos45) = t is correct for the horizontal.

And your vertical part is correct too, assuming you meant sin(45), not sin(4).

Now you can solve for Vi.

o crap so for vertical i can assume the time for the ball falls down from the highest point is the same as when it is going up to the highest point?

Yep. It's actually not an assumption, it's a fact. Because the acceleration is the same going up as it is coming down, the time is going to be the same both ways.

And the total time (time for it to go up and come back down) is the same time it takes for the ball to travel horizontally 200 m. Does that make sense?

yea i was not sure about that so i doubt myself thanks a lot anyways

You're welcome. If you aren't sure drawing a diagram is usually helpful.

xstetsonx said:
A golf ball is hit and makes a 45o angle with the horizontal as it leaves the tee. It lands 200 m away. What was the ball’s initial speed?

I though i know this well but i don't even know how to set this up

initial speed is zero..since it is at rest before hitting...after hitting it will move with speed 44.271 m/s

Related to Initial Speed of a Golf Ball Hit at 45° Angle

What is the initial speed of a golf ball when hit at a 45° angle?

The initial speed of a golf ball when hit at a 45° angle depends on multiple factors such as the club used, the force applied, and the characteristics of the golf ball itself. It can range from 80-120 miles per hour for amateur golfers, while professional golfers can achieve initial speeds of up to 180 miles per hour.

How does the angle of impact affect the initial speed of a golf ball?

The angle of impact has a significant impact on the initial speed of a golf ball. When hit at a 45° angle, the golf ball's initial speed is maximized, resulting in the longest distance. If the angle is too steep or too shallow, the initial speed will decrease, resulting in a shorter distance.

What is the relationship between initial speed and distance traveled for a golf ball?

The initial speed of a golf ball has a direct relationship with the distance traveled. The higher the initial speed, the longer the distance the golf ball will travel. This is why professional golfers strive to hit the ball at high initial speeds to achieve maximum distance.

How does air resistance affect the initial speed of a golf ball hit at 45° angle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the initial speed of a golf ball hit at a 45° angle. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences resistance, which slows it down. The denser the air, the more drag the ball experiences, resulting in a lower initial speed.

Can the initial speed of a golf ball hit at a 45° angle be increased?

Yes, the initial speed of a golf ball hit at a 45° angle can be increased by using a more powerful swing, a club with a larger sweet spot, and a golf ball with lower compression. Additionally, factors such as the temperature, wind speed, and altitude can also impact the initial speed of the golf ball.