Initial and terminal arm in trig

In summary: So that resultant angle will always come depending on which axis is closer to the terminal arm?It doesn't matter what direction the terminal arm is moving. Just measure degrees counter clockwise.
supernova1203
For some of the questions questions the initial arm is in the positive x and y quadrent and the terminal arm moves counter clockwise (+)this is considered positive , for some of them it is in the negative x and positive y quadrent, how does one determine where the initial arm is to be placed, and in which direction the terminal arm moves?

An example is

determine the reciprocal trigonometric ratios for 210 degrees.

I began by placing the initial arm in the positive x and positive y quadrent, and then moving the terminal arm counter clockwise till i reach 210 degrees in the 360 circle, which lands me on the 3rd quadrent, negative x and negative y quadrent. And the remaining angle is 60 degrees according to my calculations, but the book shows that the remaining angle is only 30 degrees, which means the terminal arm moved clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

I have included the diagram, how does one determine from which way does the angle travel? clockwise or counterclock wise?

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know why teh attachment isn't working,
ah there we go finally!

Attachments

• terminal arm.jpg
    terminal arm.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,037
Always measure the angle in the counter clockwise direction. The angle that you have on there, in the clockwise direction, isn't 210 degrees. Measure it in the counter clockwise direction and it will be.

It doesn't matter what direction the terminal arm is moving. Just measure degrees counter clockwise.

I don't fully understand your question. This is the best I can do unless you can be a little bit clearer. Sorry!

mharten1 said:
Always measure the angle in the counter clockwise direction. The angle that you have on there, in the clockwise direction, isn't 210 degrees. Measure it in the counter clockwise direction and it will be.

It doesn't matter what direction the terminal arm is moving. Just measure degrees counter clockwise.

I don't fully understand your question. This is the best I can do unless you can be a little bit clearer. Sorry!

So.. basically that 30 degrees they obtained after the terminal arm went around 210 degrees counterclockwise.. was just relative to the closes axis? (which in this case was the x axis) and that's how the 30 degrees came about? So that resultant angle will always come depending on which axis is closer to the terminal arm?

The 30 degrees in your image is called the reference angle, and is the angle between what you call the terminal arm and the x-axis.

Angles, by convention, are defined from the positive x-axis in the counter clockwise direction.

Last edited:
supernova1203 said:
So that resultant angle will always come depending on which axis is closer to the terminal arm?

As the above poster said, the 30 degree angle is called the reference angle. It doesn't come from the axis that's closest to the terminal arm. You determine the reference angle by using the X-Axis. Never the Y- Axis.

Perhaps this will help you understand better: Say that the angle of the terminal arm = θ.

If θ is in the 2nd quadrant, 180 - θ will give you the reference angle.

If θ is in the 3rd quadrant, θ - 180 will give you the reference angle.

Finally, if θ is in the 4th quadrant, 360 - θ will give you the reference angle.

It goes without saying that if θ is in the 1st quadrant, there will be no reference angle.

Last edited:
Oops...mistyped that.

I love you guys, thanks for getting that stuff to make sense :) any idea where i can study about all the types of angles?

supernova1203 said:
I love you guys, thanks for getting that stuff to make sense :) any idea where i can study about all the types of angles?

What do you mean by "types of angles?"

Anyways, try this: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/algtrig/ATT3/referenceAngles.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
mharten1 said:
What do you mean by "types of angles?"

Anyways, try this: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/algtrig/ATT3/referenceAngles.htm

Well I am sure there is some angle we get that is measured by the y-axis for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
supernova1203 said:
Well I am sure there is some angle we get that is measured by the y-axis for example.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you may have missed what jhae2.718 said:

jhae2.718 said:
Angles, by convention, are defined from the positive x-axis in the counter clockwise direction.

Related to Initial and terminal arm in trig

What is the initial arm in trigonometry?

The initial arm in trigonometry refers to the starting position or point of a given angle on a coordinate plane. It is represented by the horizontal axis or the x-axis.

What is the terminal arm in trigonometry?

The terminal arm in trigonometry refers to the ending position or point of a given angle on a coordinate plane. It is represented by a line starting from the origin and extending to the given angle's position.

How are the initial and terminal arms related?

The initial and terminal arms are related in that they form an angle at the origin. The initial arm represents the starting position, and the terminal arm represents the ending position of the angle.

How do you determine the initial and terminal arms of an angle?

To determine the initial and terminal arms of an angle, you need to plot the angle on a coordinate plane, with the initial arm starting at the origin. The terminal arm will then extend to the angle's position, forming the angle at the origin.

What is the importance of initial and terminal arms in trigonometry?

The initial and terminal arms are essential in understanding and solving trigonometric problems. They help determine the position and direction of an angle and are crucial in calculating the values of trigonometric functions.