Inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation

In summary, the problem is that there are no separable solutions to the equation for the chargedensity to be constant. I am working on finding a solution and hopefully someone can help me.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Hi,

I am looking at electron beam going through a plasma. I am modelling it using two regions, the electron beam and external to the electron beam. I am using the potential formulation of electrodynamics and I am modelling a rigid electron beam and assuming cylindrical symmetry for simplicity.

I come down (with my assumption for the current) to solving the following equation:
[tex]
-\nabla^{2}\varphi +\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi}{\partial t^{2}}+\mu_{0}\sigma\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t}=\frac{\rho}{\varepsilon_{0}}
[/tex]
The charge density is constant. I am not too sure how to go about solving this equation, would it be via Green's functions? Can someone provide me with a reference please.

Regards

Mat

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it out yet, but the first method that comes to mind is to Fourier transform your PDE from time domain to frequency domain, and then solve the resulting inhomogeneous Poisson's equation using separation of variables in cylindrical coordinates.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The problem with Fourier transforms is that you have to take the Fourier transform of a constant which doesn't exist. With regards with the separation of variables, it won't work as rho is a constant. Separation of variables works for the region outside of the beam where rho=0 (I have worked that part out).

Mat

Another problem with the Fourier transform is that it requires an infinite domain which this problem doesn't have.

I have been doing some work on this and I have come to the conclusion that there no separable solutions for the case [tex]\rho =0[/tex]. As I want to look at the problem of an electron beam propagating into the plasma, I thought about writing the solution as
[tex]
\varphi =f(r,z-v_{0}t)
[/tex]
This will reduce the PDE down to one with two variables rather than three and this makes it more tangible for a solution to be written down.

Thought?

[tex]
\alpha \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t} + \beta \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \nabla^{2} \phi = \rho (r,t) \ \ (1)
[/tex]

This equation stands intermediate between one of wave propagation ([itex]\beta \gg \alpha[/itex]) and one of diffusion ([itex]\alpha \gg \beta[/itex]). It can be solved by the Green’s function befined by;

[tex]
\alpha \frac{\partial G}{\partial t} + \beta \frac{\partial^{2} G}{\partial t^{2}} - \nabla^{2} G = \delta (r) \delta(t) \ \ (2)
[/tex]

Write

[tex]
G(r,t) = \int d^{3}k d \omega \hat{G}(k,\omega) e^{i(\vec{k}.\vec{r} - \omega t )} \ \ (3)
[/tex]

From eq(2), you find

[tex]
\hat{G}(k,\omega) = (1/2 \pi )^{4} \frac{1}{k^{2} - k_{0}^{2}} \ \ (4)
[/tex]

where

[tex]k_{0}^{2} = \beta \omega^{2} + i \alpha \omega[/tex]

Eq(3) becomes

[tex]
G(r,t) = (\frac{1}{2 \pi})^{4}\ \int d \omega e^{-i \omega t} \ \int d^{3}k \frac{e^{i\vec{k}.\vec{r}}}{k^{2} - k_{0}^{2}}
[/tex]

or, by doing the angular integration,

[tex]
G(r,t) = \frac{1}{8 \pi^{3} r} \int d \omega e^{-i \omega t} \ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dk \frac{k \sin{kr}}{k^{2} - k_{0}^{2}}
[/tex]

The k-integral may be evaluated as a contour integral to give [itex]\exp (ik_{0}r)[/itex].
Thus

[tex]
G(r,t) = \frac{1}{8\pi^{3}r} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d \omega \ e^{i(k_{0}r - \omega t)}[/tex]

I believe, this integral can be evaluated in terms of Bessel’s functions. Now, do you know how to write the field [itex]\phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]G(r,t)[/itex]? In order to do that, you need to know the values of [itex]\phi (r,t)[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{t}\phi (r,t)[/itex] at t = 0, and the value of [itex] \nabla \phi + a \phi[/itex] on some specified surfaces.

sam

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

Sorry for being rude and not saying thanks (thanks by the way) but I have been a little distracted. I know nothing about Greens function and I will have to learn about them before I can understand your answer.

I thought of more simple way of looking at things (I have convinced that there are no separable solutions to the problem) by looking for a traveling wave solution of the form [tex]\varphi =f(r,z-v_{0}t)[/tex] which would turn the PDE in three variables into one with two which can then be solved via Laplace transforms. in [tex]w=z-v_{0}t[/tex]

With regard to the wave propagation question. Regardless of the relative sizes of alpha and beta, there is still wave propagation but the damping term may or may not have a large effect.

Mat

Related to Inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation

What is the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation?

The inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a medium that has variable properties. It takes into account both the electric and magnetic fields, as well as any sources of electromagnetic radiation.

How is the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation different from the homogeneous wave equation?

The homogeneous wave equation only describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a medium with constant properties. The inhomogeneous wave equation, on the other hand, takes into account any variations in the properties of the medium. This makes it a more general and versatile equation.

What are the main applications of the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation?

The inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation is used in many fields, including optics, telecommunications, and electromagnetics. It is also an important tool in the study of electromagnetic radiation and its interaction with matter.

How is the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation derived?

The inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation can be derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetics. Specifically, it can be obtained by considering the electric and magnetic fields as functions of both time and space.

What are some common techniques for solving the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation?

Some common techniques for solving the inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation include separation of variables, Green's functions, and Fourier transforms. These techniques allow for the solution of complex problems involving varying electromagnetic fields and sources.