Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Inhomogeneous DE via expansion

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Solve inhomogeneous differential equation
\[
y'' + k^2y = \phi(x)
\]
with homogeneous boundary conditions \(y(\ell) = 0\) and \(y(0) = 0\) by expanding \(y(x)\) and \(\phi(x)\)
\begin{align*}
y(x) &= \sum_na_nu_n(x)\\
\phi(x) &= \sum_nb_nu_n(x)
\end{align*}
in the eigenfunctions of \(L = \frac{d^2}{dx^2}\) where \(Lu_n(x) = -k^2u_n(x)\) and \(u_n\) satisfies the homogeneous boundary conditions.

How am I supposed to use the definitions of \(y(x)\) and \(\phi(x)\) to solve this problem?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: inhomogeneous DE via expansion

I would do this in the following steps:

1. First, find the eigenfunctions of the indicated operator.

2. Plug those eigenfunctions into the definitions of $y$ and $\phi$.

3. Plug those definitions into the DE and see what you can find out.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

I would do this in the following steps:

1. First, find the eigenfunctions of the indicated operator.

2. Plug those eigenfunctions into the definitions of $y$ and $\phi$.

3. Plug those definitions into the DE and see what you can find out.

Let \(G(x, x') = \delta(x - x')\) is a solution with B.C. \(G(0, x') = G(\ell, x') = 0\).
\[
u(x) = u_n(x) + \int_0^{\ell}G(x,x')\phi(x')dx'
\]
where \(Lu_n(x) = \frac{d^2}{dx^2}u_n + k^2u_n = 0\).
Now for the steady state, we have
\[
\left(\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + k^2\right)u_n = 0
\]
So \(u_n(x) \sim \left\{\cos(kx), \sin(kx)\right\}\).
From the B.C., \(u_n(x)\sim B_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)\).
\begin{align}
G(x, x') &= \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}B_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)\\
y(x) &= \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)\\
\phi(x) &= \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} b_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)
\end{align}
Should they all be the same? I know how to find the coefficients for \(G(x, x')\) but what about for \(y(x)\) and \(\phi(x)\)?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

So now, plugging your stuff into the DE, we have
$$-\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n \left( \frac{\pi n}{\ell}\right)^{2}\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)+k^{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n \sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)=\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} b_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right).$$
Presumably the $b_{n}$'s are known, and the $a_{n}$'s are not. Can you think of a way to determine the $a_{n}$'s?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

So now, plugging your stuff into the DE, we have
$$-\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n \left( \frac{\pi n}{\ell}\right)^{2}\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)+k^{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n \sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right)=\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} b_n\sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{\ell}x\right).$$
Presumably the $b_{n}$'s are known, and the $a_{n}$'s are not. Can you think of a way to determine the $a_{n}$'s?
I was reading that the superposition of eigenfunctions: Green's functions and it says that
\[
Ly_n(x) = \lambda_n\rho(x)y_n(x)
\]
where \(\rho(x)\) is a weighting function. So does that mean I can write \(b_n = \frac{2}{\ell}\)?
Also, would it follow by the completeness of Hermitian eigenfunctions?
\[
a_n = \frac{b_n}{k^2 - k_n^2}
\]

If we do that, we get
\begin{align}
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}a_n[k^2 - k_n^2]\sin(k_nx) &= \frac{2}{\ell}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\sin(k_nx)\\
a_n[k^2 - k_n^2]\int_0^{\ell} \sin^2(k_nx)dx &= \frac{2}{\ell}\int_0^{\ell} \sin^2(k_nx)dx\\
a_n &= \frac{2}{\ell(k^2 - k_n^2)}
\end{align}
If that is \(a_n\) and \(b_n\) is \(2/\ell\), \(y(x)\) is a solution with that given \(\phi(x)\).

Last edited:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I think Green's functions are overkill for this problem. Just use Fourier analysis. I get that
$$b_{p}= \frac{2}{\ell} \int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin \left( \frac{\pi p x}{ \ell} \right) \phi(x) \, dx,\quad
\text{and} \quad
a_{p}= \left( \frac{ \ell^{2}}{k^{2} \ell^{2}- \pi^{2} p^{2}} \right) \, b_{p}.$$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

I think Green's functions are overkill for this problem. Just use Fourier analysis. I get that
$$b_{p}= \frac{2}{\ell} \int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin \left( \frac{\pi p x}{ \ell} \right) \phi(x) \, dx,\quad
\text{and} \quad
a_{p}= \left( \frac{ \ell^{2}}{k^{2} \ell^{2}- \pi^{2} p^{2}} \right) \, b_{p}.$$
I think I have to use Green's function since I need an exact solution but I have gotten that.

However, if \(k = k_m\), why would \(u_m(x)\) have to be orthogonal to \(\phi(x)\). For the case \(k_m = k_n\), the LHS is always zero.
\[
\sum_na_n[k_m^2 - k_n^2]\sin(k_nx) = \frac{2}{\ell}\sum_n\sin(k_nx)
\]
Therefore, in order \(\int_0^{\ell}u_m(x)\phi(x)dx = 0\), they must be orthgonal. When \(k_m\neq k_n\), I don't see why that would be the case.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I think I have to use Green's function since I need an exact solution but I have gotten that.

However, if \(k = k_m\), why would \(u_m(x)\) have to be orthogonal to \(\phi(x)\). For the case \(k_m = k_n\), the LHS is always zero.
\[
\sum_na_n[k_m^2 - k_n^2]\sin(k_nx) = \frac{2}{\ell}\sum_n\sin(k_nx)
\]
Therefore, in order \(\int_0^{\ell}u_m(x)\phi(x)dx = 0\), they must be orthgonal. When \(k_m\neq k_n\), I don't see why that would be the case.
Hmm. Well, here's my analysis. First, we write $\phi$ in terms of the eigenfunctions:
\begin{align*}
\phi(x)&= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty}b_{n} \sin( \pi n x / \ell) \\
\int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi m x / \ell) \, \phi(x) \, dx&= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \left[b_{n} \int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi n x / \ell) \sin( \pi m x / \ell) \, dx\right] \\
\int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi m x / \ell) \, \phi(x) \, dx&= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \left[b_{n} \delta_{nm} (\ell/2) \right] = b_{m} (\ell/2).
\end{align*}
Therefore,
$$b_{m}= \frac{2}{ \ell}\int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi m x / \ell) \, \phi(x) \, dx.$$
Now, from the equation I wrote down in the previous post, we have that
$$\sum_{j=1}^{ \infty} \left[ (k^{2}-( \pi j / \ell)^{2}) \, a_{j} \sin( \pi j x / \ell) \right]= \sum_{p=1}^{ \infty} b_{p} \sin( \pi p x / \ell).$$
Multiplying through by $\sin( \pi m x / \ell)$ and integrating from $0$ to $\ell$ yields
$$\sum_{j=1}^{ \infty} \left[ (k^{2}- \pi^{2} j^{2}/ \ell^{2}) \, a_{j} \, \delta_{mj} \, ( \ell/2) \right]= \sum_{p=1}^{ \infty} b_{p} \delta_{mp}( \ell/2),$$
and collapsing both sums due to the Kronecker Deltas yields
$$a_{m}= \left( \frac{ \ell^{2}}{k^{2} \ell^{2}- \pi^{2} m^{2}} \right) \, b_{m}.$$
Therefore, the final solution in all its glory is
\begin{align*}
y(x)&= \sum_{m=1}^{ \infty} \left[
\frac{ \ell^{2}}{k^{2} \ell^{2}- \pi^{2}m^{2}} \cdot \frac{2}{ \ell} \cdot \int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi m \xi/ \ell) \, \phi( \xi) \, d \xi \cdot \sin( \pi m x/ \ell) \right] \\
&=\sum_{m=1}^{ \infty} \left[
\frac{ 2 \ell}{k^{2} \ell^{2}- \pi^{2}m^{2}} \cdot \int_{0}^{ \ell} \sin( \pi m \xi/ \ell) \, \phi( \xi) \, d \xi \cdot \sin( \pi m x/ \ell) \right].
\end{align*}
It's an exact solution (assuming I've done everything correctly), with no Green's functions required.

If you want to use Green's functions, go ahead. Alas, I know only the very basics of the theory, so I cannot follow you there. But this method of solution is fairly straight-forward, involving nothing more complicated than Fourier analysis.