Why is Linear Algebra causing confusion despite high exam grades?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different experiences and challenges in higher level math courses compared to lower level ones. The speaker shares their experience of struggling in Linear Algebra but excelling in Calculus, and how the curves and expectations in higher level courses may be different. They also mention the feeling of self-doubt and confusion in these courses, but how it can lead to a love for mathematics. The conversation ends with a reflection on the difficulty of exams and how it can affect one's confidence.
Sting
In the Calculus I - III, the concepts didn't seem so difficult but the highest I would be able to make on an exams would be a high B and a majority of my tests have been lower B's.

But when I got into Linear Algebra, the concepts had the potential of creating headaches and I went through class with "absolute confusion" however, I would get A's on the test (and I'm still continuing that streak and part of the three of our class that usually sets the curve on tests).

What's wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
higher level math classes have softer curves. calc I-III was probably filled with math, chemistry, physics majors, and engineers, with a wide range of abilities.

higher math classes usually have only math and sometimes physics majors, and most of them are supposed to know what s going on. so there isn t as much need to curve people down.

i have had very high level math classes where they do not grade you at all. everyone gets an A. the assumption is you wouldn t be there if you weren t very capable.

Originally posted by lethe
i have had very high level math classes where they do not grade you at all. everyone gets an A. the assumption is you wouldn t be there if you weren t very capable.
Oh man that's so cool, that would be such a releif to just be able to go to class and learn the stuff for learnings sake rather then have to be sweating tests all the time.

Confusionism is considered an intellectual philosophy, you know.

Actually, I believe you may have discovered the beauty of math, if not a more understanding professor and more favorable curves in Linear.

Originally posted by lethe

I wish that they did that in my pure maths modules.

Well, it really wasn't an issue of the curve because even without the cruve, I would still manage with an A (I never got an equal distribution of the curve).

I'm just wondering why I do decent on a test I still have self-soubt about but, so so on a test where I could do way better.

it is this kind of feeling about maths, that make people like me get addicted to maths...it a good feeling!

Originally posted by Sting
I'm just wondering why I do decent on a test I still have self-doubt about but, so so on a test where I could do way better.
Did you find that the LM or the Calculus tests actually went better? Which did you feel most confident about when you stepped outside the exam?

Stuff just gets a lot harder, and they don't expect the class to understand it as well. I had some advanced phys classes in college where I would finish a test and think, "That's it, I failed. Everything I wrote down was BS... I didn't even understand what half the questions were asking." Then later I would find out I got an A or something. Eventually you get used to this state of constant academic confusion. ;)

Did you find that the LM or the Calculus tests actually went better? Which did you feel most confident about when you stepped outside the exam?

I felt more confident with my Calculus tests. In Linear Algebra, I walk out worried and frustrated. What's strange is that I ended up with the higher of grade (where half the class failed).

Stuff just gets a lot harder, and they don't expect the class to understand it as well. I had some advanced phys classes in college where I would finish a test and think, "That's it, I failed. Everything I wrote down was BS... I didn't even understand what half the questions were asking." Then later I would find out I got an A or something. Eventually you get used to this state of constant academic confusion. ;)

That's my situation. :smile:

What is mathematics?

Mathematics is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, and the relationships between them. It involves using logical reasoning and critical thinking to solve problems and understand patterns and structures.

Why do people often get confused when studying math?

People may get confused when studying math because it requires precise thinking and may involve abstract concepts that are difficult to visualize. Additionally, some people may have negative attitudes towards math or lack proper instruction, leading to confusion and frustration.

What are some common sources of confusion in mathematics?

Some common sources of confusion in mathematics include complex formulas and equations, confusing notation, and difficulty understanding abstract concepts. Additionally, a lack of practice and understanding of foundational concepts can also lead to confusion.

How can confusion be minimized when learning math?

Confusion can be minimized when learning math by breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids and diagrams to help understand abstract concepts, and practicing regularly. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in reducing confusion.

Is it normal to feel confused when learning math?

Yes, it is normal to feel confused when learning math. Math can be a challenging subject for many people, and confusion is a natural part of the learning process. It is essential to remember that with practice and patience, confusion can be overcome, and a deeper understanding of math can be achieved.