Information about current transformer

In summary: , the advantage of live type over dead type is that live type has a higher voltage and can handle more current, making it a better choice in cases where more current is needed.
Ron_04
hello friends...i am facing difficulties in understanding the difference between live type and deadtpe current transformer...and also the advantage of live type over dead type?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ron_04 said:
hello friends...i am facing difficulties in understanding the difference between live type and deadtpe current transformer...and also the advantage of live type over dead type?

I'm not 100% sure about current transformers, but I know the difference between live and dead tank circuit breakers is that the enclosure that houses the windings (i.e. the "tank") is at line potential (i.e. live tank) and the other is at Earth potential. (i.e. dead tank)

I'm sure you could apply the same concept to the housing of CT's.

They say if you touch a live tank you'll be dead and vice versa, if you touch a dead tank you'll live.

jegues said:
I'm not 100% sure about current transformers, but I know the difference between live and dead tank circuit breakers is that the enclosure that houses the windings (i.e. the "tank") is at line potential (i.e. live tank) and the other is at Earth potential. (i.e. dead tank)

I'm sure you could apply the same concept to the housing of CT's.

They say if you touch a live tank you'll be dead and vice versa, if you touch a dead tank you'll live.

tell me the advantage of live type over dead type

Related to Information about current transformer

1. What is a current transformer?

A current transformer is a type of instrument transformer that is used to measure electrical current. It works by stepping down the current from a high value to a lower value that can be easily measured by a standard ammeter.

2. How does a current transformer work?

A current transformer works by passing the primary conductor (the wire carrying the current) through a secondary winding of the transformer. This creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary winding that is proportional to the current in the primary conductor. The secondary current can then be measured and used to determine the original current value.

3. Where are current transformers used?

Current transformers are commonly used in power systems, electrical distribution networks, and industrial applications to measure and monitor electrical currents. They are also used in protective relays and energy management systems.

4. What are the different types of current transformers?

There are two main types of current transformers: wound and toroidal. Wound current transformers have a primary winding and a secondary winding, while toroidal current transformers have a single, circular winding. Within these types, there are also various designs such as bar-type, bushing, and window-type current transformers.

5. How do you choose the right current transformer for an application?

Choosing the right current transformer depends on factors such as the primary current rating, secondary current rating, accuracy class, burden rating, and frequency range. It is important to consult the specifications and requirements of the application to determine the appropriate current transformer for the job.