Infintite plane of charge guass law

In summary, when using Gauss's law to calculate the electric field, the charge enclosed is equal to the surface charge density (sigma) multiplied by the area of the end caps of the Gaussian cylinder. This is because the normal vectors to the curved part of the cylinder are perpendicular to the electric field vector, meaning no flux passes through that area. When computing the integral of E dot dA, the sides of the cylinder would have a value of zero. Therefore, the charge enclosed only includes the area of the end caps, not the entire volume of the cylinder. This is true for an infinite plane of charge with a uniformly distributed positive charge density (sigma) and using a Gaussian surface of a cylinder.
kiwileaf
when deriving the electric field through using gauss's law, I do not completely understand why when
calculating for the charge enclosed the answer key says
"The surface charge distribution on is uniform. The area of the intersection of he non-conducting plane with the Gaussian cylinder is equal to the area of the end-caps, . Therefore the charge enclosed in the cylinder is q=σA"

I thought that the total charge would be the integral of sigma with respect to the volume of a cylinder (dv), which would make the total charge enclosed q=σV

However, even if it is q=σA I do not understand why we would not include the entire area of the cylinder because wouldn't the charge be over that entire Gaussian surface? why do we disregard the sides and only include the end caps for area?

Physics news on Phys.org
(this is for an infinite plane of charge with a uniformly distributed positive charge density σ) and using Gaussian surface of a cylinder where the infinite plan is at x=0 and the two sides of the cylnider extend to include x<0 and x>0

We disregard the area of the sides because the normal vectors to the sides (, i.e. the curved part) is perpendicular to the electric field vector... It means no flux passes through the curved part of the cylinder.

Aniruddha@94 said:
We disregard the area of the sides because the normal vectors to the sides (, i.e. the curved part) is perpendicular to the electric field vector... It means no flux passes through the curved part of the cylinder.
I understand that when computing the integral of E dot dA the E dot dA of the sides would be zero, but I was talking about simply calculating and integrating the amount of charge enclosed (but I think I understand that the charge enclosed would be the σ times the area of the circle of the cylinder that intersects the plane not a three dimensional volume where the sides are included)

So that clears it out for you?

kiwileaf said:
I understand that when computing the integral of E dot dA the E dot dA of the sides would be zero, but I was talking about simply calculating and integrating the amount of charge enclosed (but I think I understand that the charge enclosed would be the σ times the area of the circle of the cylinder that intersects the plane not a three dimensional volume where the sides are included)
Yes, you've got it. We take ( sigma)X(end area) because that's the only part of the sheet inside the cylinder.

Related to Infintite plane of charge guass law

1. What is an infinite plane of charge?

An infinite plane of charge is a theoretical concept in physics where there is an infinite amount of charge distributed evenly across an infinitely large plane. This means that the charge density is constant and does not vary across the plane.

2. What is Gauss' law and how does it apply to an infinite plane of charge?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the charge distribution. For an infinite plane of charge, Gauss' law states that the electric field at any point above or below the plane is proportional to the charge density and independent of the distance from the plane.

3. How can we use Gauss' law to calculate the electric field of an infinite plane of charge?

To use Gauss' law to calculate the electric field of an infinite plane of charge, we first choose a Gaussian surface that is perpendicular to the plane. This surface can be a cylinder or a box. Then, we apply Gauss' law which states that the electric flux through the surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for the electric field.

4. Is the electric field of an infinite plane of charge uniform?

Yes, the electric field of an infinite plane of charge is uniform and does not depend on the distance from the plane. This is because the charge is spread out uniformly across the plane and the electric field lines are perpendicular to the plane, resulting in a constant electric field throughout.

5. Can an infinite plane of charge exist in reality?

No, an infinite plane of charge is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in reality. This is because it is impossible to have an infinite amount of charge or an infinitely large plane. However, this concept is useful in understanding and analyzing electric fields in real-life scenarios.