Infinite square well with delta potential

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for an infinite square well potential with a discontinuity at x=0. The solutions can be divided into symmetric and antisymmetric ones, which have different forms for the even and odd solutions. The conversation also touches on applying the derivation condition for these solutions and the confusion around it. Ultimately, the problem is solved by considering separate constants and applying the continuity condition at x=0.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have infinite square well which has a potential [tex]V(x)=\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\Omega\delta(x)[/tex] in x=0, and is 0 in the interval [tex]x\in[-a,a][/tex]

Homework Equations

Schrodinger eq.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the time independant Schrodinger eq. by integration around x=0 by some small parameter [tex]\varepsilon[/tex]. And I got the discontinuity

[tex]u'(+0)-u'(-0)=2\Omega u(0)[/tex]

Where u(x) is the [tex]\psi(x)[/tex]. Now I also have a discontinuity in logarithmic derivative:
[tex]\frac{u'(+0)}{u(0)}-\frac{u'(-0)}{u(0)}=2\Omega[/tex].

I solved the infinite square well problem and the solutions can be divided into symmetric and antisymmetric ones:

[tex]u_n^+(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\cos(k_n x), n=\pm 1,\pm 3,\ldots[/tex]
[tex]u_n^-(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\sin(k_n x), n=\pm 2,\pm 4,\ldots[/tex]

And [tex]k_n=\frac{n\pi}{2a}[/tex].

The odd solutions have knot in x=0 and their derivative is continuous in x=0, but even ones must have this form:

[tex]u_n^+(x)=-A\sin k_n^+(x+a),\ for\quad -a\leq x<0[/tex] and
[tex]u_n^+(x)=A\sin k_n^+(x-a),\ for\quad 0<x\leq a[/tex]

Now I have to apply the derivation condition on this solutions (discontinuity one). Now I'm puzzled here. In my notes it says:
[tex]2Ak_n^+\cos(k_n^+ a)=-2\Omega A\sin(k_n^+a)[/tex]

And right hand side I got, but what about the left?!

If I derive the whole thing (the sin) I get:

[tex]u_n^+'(x)=-Ak_n^+\cos k_n^+(x+a),\ for\quad -a\leq x<0[/tex] and
[tex]u_n^+'(x)=Ak_n^+\cos k_n^+(x-a),\ for\quad 0<x\leq a[/tex]

And if I let x=0, those two would cancel :\ Or do I have to look separately from +0 and -0? I'm kinda stuck there...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I solved the problem, I should first consider the solutions with separate constants, let's say A and B, and then apply the continuity at x=0 condition...

Related to Infinite square well with delta potential

1. What is an infinite square well with delta potential?

An infinite square well with delta potential is a simplified quantum mechanical model used to study the behavior of a particle in a confined space. It consists of a potential barrier in the form of a delta function, which creates a finite potential well within an infinitely high potential barrier.

2. What is the significance of studying the infinite square well with delta potential?

Studying the infinite square well with delta potential allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces, which has important implications in various fields such as solid-state physics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.

3. How does the energy of a particle in an infinite square well with delta potential differ from that of a regular infinite square well?

In an infinite square well with delta potential, the energy levels are shifted due to the presence of the delta function potential. This results in a non-degenerate ground state and an infinite number of degenerate excited states.

4. Can the infinite square well with delta potential be solved analytically?

Yes, it can be solved analytically using the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. The resulting wavefunction is a combination of a sine function and a delta function, and the energy levels can be obtained by solving the transcendental equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the infinite square well with delta potential model?

The infinite square well with delta potential model has been used to study the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices, the confinement of atoms in optical lattices, and the properties of quantum dots. It has also been used in the development of quantum algorithms for quantum computing.