Infinite Square Well Homework: Solutions & Analysis

In summary: Given ##E_n=(\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m})( \frac{n\pi}{a})^{2}## , find the average time for an electron to move back and forth once in a well 1 nm wide. Compare this with the classical result for an electron with energy equal to <E>.I think this is a problem that I am stumped on, too.
wood

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite square well defined by the potential energy function
U=0 for 0<x<a and U = ∞ otherwise
Consider a superposed state represented by the wave function ## \Psi(x,t)## given at time t=0 by
$$\Psi(x,0) = N \{(-\psi_1(x) + (1+ i)\psi_2(x)\}$$

1. Assume that the constant N is real and positive. Fix N such that Ψ(x, 0) is normalised to one particle.
2. Find Ψ(x, t) for all times t. Is your result correctly normalised? Is this state stationary?
3. In terms of {En}, what is the average energy <E> of the superposed state? Does it depend on t?
4. Calculate <x> as a function of time t.
5. Given ##E_n=(\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m})( \frac{n\pi}{a})^{2}## , find the average time for an electron to move back and forth once in a well 1 nm wide. Compare this with the classical result for an electron with energy equal to <E>.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really struggling with what the lecturer is asking here. I have an answer to 1. ##N=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## then I am not sure where to go.
for 2. I think I get from the TDSE

$$ \Psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \{(-\psi_1(x)e^{-iE_1t/\hbar} + (1+ i)\psi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar}\} $$

I am not sure if it is correctly normalised but It is not stationary as E1≠E2Could someone please point me in the right direction. I have both Griffiths and Serway and have read through but cannot find anything that helps me understand what is being asked. If someone could either talk me through it or point to relevant sections in the text I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your always doing the same problems as me at the same time - we must be in the same class! As far as the problem goes:
1. I got the same N
2. I am a little stuck here too, but i suppose
Ψ(x,t)=∑cn(t)Ψn(t)
We have Ψ1,Ψ2 so we need to find c1,c2 where
cn(t)=cn(0)exp(-i*En*t/ħ)

wood said:
I am not sure if it is correctly normalised but It is not stationary as E1≠E2
Then to be sure if your result is correctly normalized, you need to calculate the inner product with itself and see if it yields unity. 'Non-stationaryness' should not affect the result of any inner product due to the unitarity property of the time evolution operator you have applied to your wavefunction.

Likes wood
wood said:

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite square well defined by the potential energy function
U=0 for 0<x<a and U = ∞ otherwise
Consider a superposed state represented by the wave function ## \Psi(x,t)## given at time t=0 by
$$\Psi(x,0) = N \{(-\psi_1(x) + (1+ i)\psi_2(x)\}$$

1. Assume that the constant N is real and positive. Fix N such that Ψ(x, 0) is normalised to one particle.
2. Find Ψ(x, t) for all times t. Is your result correctly normalised? Is this state stationary?
3. In terms of {En}, what is the average energy <E> of the superposed state? Does it depend on t?
5. Given ##E_n=(\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m})( \frac{n\pi}{a})^{2}## , find the average time for an electron to move back and forth once in a well 1 nm wide. Compare this with the classical result for an electron with energy equal to <E>.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really struggling with what the lecturer is asking here. I have an answer to 1. ##N=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## then I am not sure where to go.
Well how did you arrive at this answer? Presumably you required ##\int \psi^*(x)\psi(x)\,dx = 1## because that's what normalized means.

for 2. I think I get from the TDSE

$$ \Psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \{(-\psi_1(x)e^{-iE_1t/\hbar} + (1+ i)\psi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar}\} $$
That's right.

I am not sure if it is correctly normalised but It is not stationary as E1≠E2
Again, what does it mean for wave function to be normalized?

Likes wood
I think I am getting somewhere...(thanks)

vela said:
Again, what does it mean for wave function to be normalized?

for a function to be normalized I need ##\int \psi^*(x)\psi(x)\,dx = 1## so it is normalised and not stationary

for 3
wood said:

Here $$\langle E\rangle = \int \Psi^*(x)E\Psi(x)\,dx$$

spits out an answer that doesn't depend on t

wood said:

Here i need ## \langle x\rangle =\int \langle x\rangle\Psi^*(x)\Psi(x)\,dx##

The integrals involving cross terms ψ1ψ1= 0 and the ψn2= 1 leaving
$$ \langle x\rangle =\frac{1}{3} \langle x\rangle+\frac{2}{3} \langle x\rangle$$

I think I should have a value for x somewhere to give me an actual answer but am not sure what that should be...

wood said:
spits out an answer that doesn't depend on t
That's what one should expect when the Hamiltonian is time independent.
wood said:
Here i need ## <x>=\int x\psi^∗(x)\psi(x)dx \langle x\rangle =\int \langle x\rangle\Psi^*(x)\Psi(x)dx ##

The integrals involving cross terms ψ1ψ1= 0 and the ψn2= 1 leaving
<x>=13⟨x⟩+23⟨x⟩​
##\langle x\rangle =\frac{1}{3} \langle x\rangle+\frac{2}{3} \langle x\rangle##

I think I should have a value for x somewhere to give me an actual answer but am not sure what that should be...
Since the question asked you to calculate the time dependency of <x>, you should have used the wavefunctions at time t to do the calculation.

blue_leaf77 said:
Since the question asked you to calculate the time dependency of <x>, you should have used the wavefunctions at time t to do the calculation.

I thought I had by calculating <x> using $$ \Psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \{(-\psi_1(x)e^{-iE_1t/\hbar} + (1+ i)\psi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar}\} $$

Alright then, just wondered why t didn't appear in your expression.

From ##\psi_1^*\psi_1## I get ##-\psi_1^*(x)e^{+iE_1t/\hbar} \psi_1(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar}## which gives ##\psi_1^*(x)\psi_1(x) ## and as they are normalized to one particle ##\int\psi_1^*(x)\psi_1(x) = 1 ## leaving me with just the coefficients.

Yes??

Yes
Note that your post #7 is a bit confusing: You write ##\Psi(x,0)=##, followed by ##\Psi(x,t)## but you don't state what you do to calculate ##<x>## ...

And I forget the important part: what about the cross terms ? Check carefully if they cancel ...

[edit 3] No ! Sorry:

The Yes above is for the normalization, but it doesn't hold for ##\int \psi_1^* x \psi_1## !

Last edited:
Could you oblige me and elucidate on post #3: your "spits out an answer that doesn' t depend on t " sounds as if it's obvious to you. What exactly do you do to calculate ##< E > ## ?

To calculate ##\langle x \rangle## I used should have been $$<x>=\int \langle x\rangle\Psi^*(x)\Psi(x)dx$$

And I didn't check if the cross terms canceled I just 'presumed' they did as they were normalised and therefore ##\int\psi_1^*(x)e^{+iE_1t/\hbar} \psi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar} =0## I think you are saying I presumed wrong.

Can't do that. x is an operator (a simple multiplication), ## <x> ## is a number. You can pull the number in front of the ##\int##, but not the unadorned x !

So it should read ##<x>=\int x\Psi^*(x)\Psi(x)dx## and I and doing the correct thing?

(thanks for helping by the way...)

Better to write $$
<x>=\int \Psi^*(x)\; x \;\Psi(x)dx$$although for this simple multiplication factor case it doesn't matter. (But for the momentum, for example it does matter!)

Related to Infinite Square Well Homework: Solutions & Analysis

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a specific region in space. It consists of an infinitely deep potential well with infinitely high walls, creating a finite space for the particle to exist in.

2. What is the significance of studying the infinite square well?

The infinite square well serves as a simplified model for understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which is essential in many areas of physics, such as solid-state physics and nanotechnology. It also helps in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and energy quantization.

3. How do you solve the infinite square well problem?

The solutions to the infinite square well problem are obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation, a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solutions yield the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions of the particle in the well.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in the infinite square well?

The energy levels in the infinite square well are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This reflects the wave-like nature of particles and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. The energy levels also determine the probability of finding the particle at a specific location within the well.

5. How does the width of the infinite square well affect the energy levels?

The width of the infinite square well has a direct impact on the energy levels. A wider well allows for more energy states, resulting in a higher number of energy levels. Conversely, a narrower well has fewer energy states and therefore fewer energy levels. This relationship is described by the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics.