Infinite Solutions to e^x = c?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between polynomials and infinite series, specifically the exponential function e^x. It is mentioned that polynomials have a finite number of solutions, while the exponential function may have an infinite number of roots. However, it is also noted that the exponential function has one exception, zero, according to Picard's theorems. The discussion also touches on the connection between exponential and trigonometric functions in complex analysis.
Frogeyedpeas
Hello,

I have some background in complex analysis (a very minimal amount) but I did come up with a rather odd question.

Given a polynomial a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3... nx^n

There exists n or fewer solutions to the equation that each have a multiplicity of 1 to n.

Given that information suppose we take the exponential function e^x and break it down to its taylor series:

1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4!...

Doesn't that mean that there are infinite roots to the exponential function which may be equal to some type of infinity (or not)

The exponential-infinite roots of unity?

If they are positioned @ infinities then are there more "projective-like" relationships between them that allows you to differentiate between the roots of say e^x and 2^x?

Physics news on Phys.org
polynomials are defined for for finite orders of n and so those theorems are not valid for infinite series.

Does that mean that theorems attached to them do not extend or generalize to infinite orders of n?

Example: The solution to the equation x3 + 1 = 0

We arrange it to:

x3 = -1

so x = [itex]\sqrt[3]{-1}[/itex] = -1 , [itex]\frac{1 - i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1 + i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]

The negatives of the three roots of unity...

Generalizing this to nx3 + 1 = 0 as n [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] we know that the absolute value of the three roots of the equation approach zero but we do know that no matter the projective geometric properties of the roots (such as the angles between them) do not change...

Likewise suppose we extend the nth roots where the coefficients are becoming smaller at a rate of n!. There will be some type of circle forming where the angle between the roots becomes smaller at a very predictable (geometric) rate. So even though ex has infinite roots, all located @ infinity. That doesn't mean that we cannot analyze and differentiate them from one another.

well I have never seen such an extension but these are not really the topics I am concentrating on so I will not make a certain statement about that :)

Also I do not see how you connected together "a polynomial with infinite order" with a polynomial with infinitely large coefficients

In any case if x is a complex number given as a+ib then you can write ex as eacos(b) + ieasin(b). Now trying to solve ex = c +id is the same thing as eacos(b) = c and easin(b) = d. Then one method to solve this is look at the graph of z = exsin(y) and try to determine if it intersects the line z=d (and same for the other component too). In this case since your function has a sine term indeed for certain values of z it is possible to get infinite roots as it seems.

By this logic, one might expect

[tex]e^z = 0[/tex]

to have infinitely many solutions. In fact, it has none. ([itex]z = -\infty[/itex] doesn't really count, but even if it did, that would just be one solution, and [itex]1 \ll \infty[/itex]).

Frogeyedpeas said:
Doesn't that mean that there are infinite roots to the exponential function which may be equal to some type of infinity (or not)

That's a reflection of Picard's theorems: a non-constant entire function that's not a polynomial reaches all values with at most one exception, infinitely often. In the case of e^z, that exception is zero.

In complex analysis, the exponential functions and the trig functions, sine and cosine, pretty much become the same function: [itex]e^{a+ bi}= e^a(cos(b)+ i sin(b))[/itex] and, of course, the trig functions have an infinite number of solutions (or none).

Related to Infinite Solutions to e^x = c?

1. What is the definition of an infinite solution to e^x = c?

An infinite solution to e^x = c refers to the set of all possible values of x that satisfy the given equation. These values form a continuous set, meaning that there are infinitely many solutions that can be found.

2. How do you solve for infinite solutions to e^x = c?

To solve for infinite solutions to e^x = c, you can use the natural logarithm (ln) to isolate x. The equation can be rewritten as x = ln(c), where ln is the inverse of e^x. This means that any value of ln(c) will be a valid solution, resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

3. Can there be negative infinite solutions to e^x = c?

No, there cannot be negative infinite solutions to e^x = c. This is because the exponential function e^x is always positive, so there are no negative values that can satisfy the equation. However, there can be negative values for the constant c, which will result in no real solutions.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite solutions to e^x = c?

The main difference between finite and infinite solutions to e^x = c is the number of solutions. Finite solutions refer to a specific, limited set of solutions, while infinite solutions refer to a continuous set of solutions with no limit. In other words, there are a finite number of values that satisfy the equation in finite solutions, whereas there are infinitely many values that satisfy the equation in infinite solutions.

5. How do you graph infinite solutions to e^x = c?

To graph infinite solutions to e^x = c, you can plot the points (c, ln(c)) for various values of c. This will result in a curve that approaches the x-axis but never touches it, representing the infinite solutions to the equation. Additionally, you can also graph the exponential function e^x and the line y = ln(x) to visualize the relationship between the two functions and the infinite solutions to the equation.