Infinite-Finite Potential Well

In summary, the conversation involves the question of finding the minimum value for V_0 in a potential where a particle of mass m can have one bound state. The speaker suggests solving the Schrödinger equation and finding the energies between -V_0 and 0 to determine the value of V_0 that allows for only one bound state.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I need help with this question. I'm not sure exactly what it wants (what does it mean by bound state) and how should I start the problem? Here it is:

Consider a particle of mass m moving in the following potential:
  • [itex]\infty[/itex] for [itex]x \leq 0[/itex]
  • [itex]-V_0[/itex] for [itex]0 < x \leq a \ (V_0 > 0)[/itex]
  • [itex]0[/itex] for [itex]x > a[/itex]
Calculate the minimum value for [itex]V_0[/itex] (in terms of a, m, and the Planck constant) so that the particle will have one bound state.

I guess what they're asking for is the smallest value for [itex]V_0[/itex] such that some particle will have energy E such that [itex]-V_0 < E < 0[/itex]. So, if I can find the energy of the particle that is negative but closest to zero, that value will be [itex]-V_0[/itex]. Is this right so far? If so, how do I go about finding E?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I would go about this problem is by solving the Schrödinger equation and finding the energies. Assuming [itex]-V_0<E<0[/itex].

Then find the value of [itex]V_0[/itex] for which there is only one state with an energy<0.

I solved the finite potential well in the past, but don't remember it well enough to know if this is doable.

The problem is asking for the minimum value of the potential energy, V_0, in order for the particle to have one bound state. A bound state is a state in which the particle is confined to a finite region, in this case, between x = 0 and x = a. This means that the particle's energy must be negative, since it is confined within the potential well.

To start the problem, we can use the Schrödinger equation for a one-dimensional infinite potential well:

-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}+V(x)\psi=E\psi

Where \hbar is the reduced Planck constant, m is the mass of the particle, V(x) is the potential function, E is the energy of the particle, and \psi is the wave function.

In our case, the potential function is given by:

V(x)=\begin{cases} \infty & x \leq 0 \\ -V_0 & 0 < x \leq a \\ 0 & x > a \end{cases}

Since the potential is infinite for x \leq 0, the wave function must be zero in this region. Similarly, since the potential is zero for x > a, the wave function must also be zero in this region. This means that the wave function will only be non-zero in the region 0 < x \leq a.

To solve for the energy, we need to solve the Schrödinger equation in this region. We can do this by separating the equation into two parts: one for the region 0 < x \leq a and one for the region x > a. For the first part, we can use the general solution for a particle in a potential well:

\psi(x)=A\sin(kx)+B\cos(kx)

Where k=\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}. We can then apply the boundary conditions \psi(0)=0 and \psi(a)=0 to solve for the constants A and B. This will give us a quantized energy level for the particle, given by:

E_n=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}

Where n is a positive integer. This means that the particle can only have certain discrete energy levels, and the lowest energy level

Related to Infinite-Finite Potential Well

1. What is an infinite-finite potential well?

An infinite-finite potential well is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes a particle confined within a potential well that has a finite size but an infinitely high potential barrier at its boundaries. This model is used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as in a semiconductor or an atomic nucleus.

2. How does the infinite-finite potential well model work?

The model assumes that the particle has a wave-like behavior and that its energy is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete energy levels. The walls of the well act as a barrier, confining the particle within the well and limiting its motion.

3. What are the implications of the infinite-finite potential well model?

The model helps us understand the concept of energy quantization and the confined behavior of particles in small spaces. It also has applications in fields such as material science, electronics, and nuclear physics.

4. What are the limitations of the infinite-finite potential well model?

The model is a simplified representation of real-world systems and does not account for factors such as particle interactions and external forces. It also assumes a perfectly rigid and impenetrable potential well, which may not always be the case in real systems.

5. How is the infinite-finite potential well model used in practical applications?

The model is used to study and understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as in quantum dots and nanoscale devices. It also has applications in understanding the stability and properties of atomic nuclei.