Infinite Energy and the Big Bang: Understanding Heat as Energy in Physics

In summary, Some models of the big bang predict a universe that has already collapsed, while others do not.
elloyd
Hello there.

This is my post.

I've recently taken up an interest again in physics, well more reading about it out of interest.

I was just reading Stephens Hawkings' 'A brief history of time' and there is something which I don't understand about it. I was wondering if someone could help explain to me.

Ok so, on page 129 "At the big bang itself, the universe is thought to have had zero, size, and so thave been infinitely hot". Am I right in thinking that heat is a form of energy? If so, then there would be an infinite amount of energy in the universe?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
I actually haven't read A Brief History of Time, and know hardly anything about big bang theory, so I can't answer your second question. However, I do know that heat, technically, can only be transferred, not contained (in the same way that something can not contain a force; it can only have a force applied to it). When something is hot, it contains internal energy.

I also know nothing...

But if you had a finite amount of energy, and condensed it into an infinitely small space, it would be infinitely hot. Even if the energy you have is very small... or large.

Just like if you have some finite amount of matter and condense it into an infinitely small point, then your point would be infinitely dense (even though the matter is finite). Density is mass/volume. Two ways to make that infinity is the limit as mass approaches infinity -or- volume approaches zero.

Just what I thought upon reading this, I have no clue what I am talking about.

Last edited:
elloyd said:
Hello there.

This is my post.

I've recently taken up an interest again in physics, well more reading about it out of interest.

I was just reading Stephens Hawkings' 'A brief history of time' and there is something which I don't understand about it. I was wondering if someone could help explain to me.

Ok so, on page 129 "At the big bang itself, the universe is thought to have had zero, size, and so thave been infinitely hot". Am I right in thinking that heat is a form of energy? If so, then there would be an infinite amount of energy in the universe?

Thanks

Well this is perhaps not entirely true, since it deals with the universe at the singularity, a point at which as we know general relativity (which is the very theory from which we conclude there is a singularity) breaks down and so does predictability.

Besides infinity density, temperature and so on make no sense physically and a time scale smaller as the Planck time neither makes sense (there is no way to differentiate between 'before' and 'after' at or below this scale).

I guess this vision of the Big Bang now has been ruled out more or less in favour of more realistic pre-big bang scenario's which make testable predictions.

I think the Hawking-Hartle-Turok instanton models (with a 'soft' singularity near the begin) have been ruled out because they predict a different universe, and not the universe we actualy see.

But I'm not completely sure about this. Is a universe starting with a singularity ruled out on theoretical grounds, or on empirical grounds?

Last edited:
heusdens said:
Well this is perhaps not entirely true, since it deals with the universe at the singularity, a point at which as we know general relativity (which is the very theory from which we conclude there is a singularity) breaks down and so does predictability
I might be going off on a bit of a tangent here, but... how does that work?:confused: Is there an example in logic that can illustrate this (seeming) paradox?

heusdens said:
I think the Hawking-Hartle-Turok instanton models (with a 'soft' singularity near the begin) have been ruled out because they predict a different universe, and not the universe we actualy see.
What kind of universe does it predict?

Izzhov said:
I might be going off on a bit of a tangent here, but... how does that work?:confused: Is there an example in logic that can illustrate this (seeming) paradox?

Yes, well or instance, this would also occur in a model of electric field which has point particles. The attracting force between oppositely charged point particles would go to infinity when they would collide.
But as we know, point particles are just an approximation, and moreover, we need a Quantum theory to describe the interaction.

What kind of universe does it predict?

Not really sure, but I guess it was claimed a universe that would have already collapsed or so. But in fact there are several similar models, with different predictions.

I don't know if they are still regarded as "realistic" models, since inflationary models have more predictive power as these singularity models.

Related to Infinite Energy and the Big Bang: Understanding Heat as Energy in Physics

1. What is Infinite Energy?

Infinite Energy is a renewable energy company that provides electricity and natural gas services to residential and commercial customers in various states in the US.

2. How does Infinite Energy generate energy?

Infinite Energy generates energy through various renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. They also purchase renewable energy credits to offset any non-renewable energy used.

3. What are the benefits of using Infinite Energy?

Using Infinite Energy can help reduce your carbon footprint and support the use of renewable energy sources. It also offers competitive rates and customizable plans for its customers.

4. How can I sign up for Infinite Energy?

You can sign up for Infinite Energy online or by calling their customer service line. You will need to provide some basic information and choose a plan that best fits your energy needs.

5. Is Infinite Energy available in all states?

No, Infinite Energy currently serves customers in Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, New York, and Texas. However, they are continuously expanding to new states and may be available in your area in the future.