Infinite effective mass in metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conduction in metals and how it relates to the Fermi surface and effective mass. There are various possible explanations for how conduction occurs in metals, including the idea that effective mass is only relevant near the top or bottom of a band. It is also mentioned that scattering plays a crucial role in allowing for conduction in metals.
Hipp0
Hello, I have a question about conduction in metals.

I guess you all know a common pedagogical picture where an electron bands are drawn as ~ cosine curves in 1D or E_0 - cos(k_x) - cos(k_y) in 2D.

Now, in metals , we were told that the Fermi surface passes through the band. Therefore, electrons "under" Fermi surface can go to states above Fermi surface and thus conduct electricity. That sounds good so far.

We also defined an effective mass as m* ~ [itex](\frac{d^2E}{dk^2})^{-1}[/itex]. But what happens if Fermi surface crosses the cosine band exactly in the middle (or where it is linear locally), then the double derivative is zero, and m* = infinity. How can these electrons move anywhere or even conduct? I see possible resolutions to this question:

1) electrons further away from such surface can still move to other states, but this will be a bad conductor (because m* for those nearby electrons will be huge)

2) in real metals Fermi surface doesn't cross bands where there is no curvature?

3) maybe conduction in not related to m*, but to how many electrons go above the Fermi surface ?

4) maybe m* definition breaks down far away from Brillouin zone boundaries?

5) maybe we don't define effective mass for metals? only for semiconductors?

6) something else?Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer: effective mass is only useful near the top or bottom of the band, where the dispersion is nearly quadratic, and hence this can be thought of as a free particle with effective mass ( E_free = h^2 k^2/(2m*) ).

After reading another book, I think I understood how conduction really happens in metals. I will try to explain what I understood here.

Suppose Fermi surface is somewhere close to the bottom of a band ( in a perfect metal, where there is NO scattering), and so conduction is done by electrons. Consider an electron at k=0 (bottom of the band, not too far from Fermi surface). If we apply an electric field to this electron, it will start to move in the direction opposite to the force (because q<0, m*>0). However h_bar* dk/dt = F, so the force will start to change k uniformly, so the electron will move up the band E(k). As this happens d^E/dk^2 decreases, so the effective mass increases and becomes infinite where E(k) is linear. m* = inf means zero acceleration. After the linear part of E(k), the effective mass flips sign, so that m*<0 and |m*| decreases, thus the particle (hole -like) now experiences deceleration while it gets to the top of the band and back to the linear interval. And so on.

The overall result is that the velocity of the charge carrier oscillates about v=0, and no current is transferred !

However, charge carriers in metals constantly experience scattering, which effectively resets k value to zero. So, overall there is conduction now, because there is some average velocity due to the force applied. And so there is current.

(this is what is essentially written in Singleton chapter 9.1)

Related to Infinite effective mass in metals

1. What is meant by "infinite effective mass" in metals?

The effective mass of an electron in a metal is a measure of its mobility, or how easily it can move through the material. In some cases, the effective mass can become extremely large, approaching infinity. This is known as "infinite effective mass" and it occurs in certain metals due to their unique electronic band structure.

2. How does infinite effective mass affect the properties of metals?

The presence of infinite effective mass can significantly alter the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as other properties, of a metal. It can also lead to the formation of exotic states of matter, such as superconductors and topological insulators.

3. What causes infinite effective mass in metals?

Infinite effective mass in metals is typically caused by the presence of a Van Hove singularity in the electronic band structure. This occurs when the density of states of the material reaches a maximum, resulting in a sharp increase in the effective mass of the electrons.

4. Can infinite effective mass be controlled or manipulated?

While it is a naturally occurring phenomenon, researchers are exploring ways to manipulate or control infinite effective mass in metals. This could lead to the development of new materials with unique properties and potential applications in fields such as electronics and energy storage.

5. What are some examples of metals with infinite effective mass?

Some examples of metals with infinite effective mass include bismuth, graphite, and graphene. These materials have been extensively studied for their unique properties and potential applications in various fields of science and technology.