Water Boiling Temperature on Mt. Kilimanjaro (5895m): The Science Behind It

• Thread starter BEVIN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, based on the standard altitude table and a saturated water-pressure table, the boiling point of water on top of Mt. Kilamanjaro (elevation 5895m) is approximately 80.3 degrees Celsius. This is determined by looking at the pressure and saturation temperature values and using interpolation to find the closest value.
BEVIN
What temperature will water boils on top of Mt. Kilamanjaro (elevation 5895m)...

This answer should be 80.3 degree celsius...How did they get this...?
I have my thermo and fliud tables but I cannot seems to figure this one...

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the boiling point dependant on the pressure the liquid is under, since liquids boil when the tiny gas-bubbles that form all the time at random are pressurized enough to stay and grow, rather than being instantly crushed?

I guess I'd just look that up on a table or a PVT diagram.. I hear that you need a gigantic messy system of equations to approximate water's state transitions, and everyone just uses tables

Standard altitude table says that at 5900m:

p = 4.7867 E4 N/m^2

Consulting a Saturated Water-Pressure table for 50kPa (closest value) gives 81.33 degrees C as saturation temperature.

40kPa -> 75.87 C

You can interpolate back from there.

1. What is the boiling temperature of water on Mt. Kilimanjaro?

The boiling temperature of water on Mt. Kilimanjaro is approximately 84.4 degrees Celsius or 183.9 degrees Fahrenheit. This is significantly lower than the boiling temperature of water at sea level, which is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Why is the boiling temperature of water lower on Mt. Kilimanjaro?

The boiling temperature of water is lower on Mt. Kilimanjaro due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes. As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and the pressure decreases, causing water to boil at a lower temperature.

3. How does the boiling temperature of water change with altitude on Mt. Kilimanjaro?

The boiling temperature of water decreases by approximately 0.5 degrees Celsius for every 100 meters increase in altitude on Mt. Kilimanjaro. This means that at the summit, where the altitude is 5895 meters, the boiling temperature is approximately 16.5 degrees Celsius lower than at sea level.

4. What impact does the lower boiling temperature have on cooking and food preparation on Mt. Kilimanjaro?

The lower boiling temperature on Mt. Kilimanjaro can significantly impact cooking and food preparation. Foods that require boiling, such as rice or pasta, may take longer to cook due to the lower temperature. Also, the lower temperature may affect the taste and texture of food, as certain chemical reactions may occur differently at a lower boiling point.

5. How does the boiling temperature on Mt. Kilimanjaro compare to other high altitude locations?

The boiling temperature on Mt. Kilimanjaro is similar to other high altitude locations, such as Mt. Everest and the Andes Mountains. However, it is important to note that the exact boiling temperature may vary depending on factors such as weather conditions and altitude variations within the mountain.