Infine Direct Sum of Vector spaces

In summary, the direct sum of vector spaces is defined as the set of all functions that map a set of indices to the union of the vector spaces, with the condition that the function is non-zero for only finitely many indices. It can be represented as a formal sum, where each summand corresponds to an element from a different vector space. This allows for the "mixing" of different vector spaces in a larger vector space, and the use of the "+" sign as a shorthand notation for this operation. This is the smallest possible vector space that contains each of the individual vector spaces, and has the universal property for the coproduct.
Goldbeetle
Dear all,
I'm reading the tensor part of "A course in modern mathematical physics" by Szekeres and I have trouble understanding a concept that you can find in the attached image of the book page. What are the elements of F(V)? If my understanding of (external) direct sums of vector spaces is correct, the elements of F(V) are arrays of an infinite number components, where each element j of the array is an element of the tensor product of j copies of V. Then, how is the subsequent formal finite formal sum for the typical member of F(V) justified? I'm sure I'm missing some details, perhaps I can't see identifications etc.

Thanks for your help.
Goldbeetle

Attachments

• free associative algebra.GIF
    free associative algebra.GIF
    50 KB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
Goldbeetle said:
Dear all,
I'm reading the tensor part of "A course in modern mathematical physics" by Szekeres and I have trouble understanding a concept that you can find in the attached image of the book page. What are the elements of F(V)? If my understanding of (external) direct sums of vector spaces is correct, the elements of F(V) are arrays of an infinite number components, where each element j of the array is an element of the tensor product of j copies of V.

True but only a finite number of the components are non zero. So for every element x=(v0, v1, v2,...) of F(V), there is a maximal number r such that vi=0 for all i>r. So it is justified to write x as the formal sum v0+v1+v2+...+vr.

Why only a finite number of components are non zero?

Also, I do not understand the meaning of the "+" sign? Is it a short-hand for the fact that, after identifying for each r each tensor product space V(r) with the subspace of F(V) of the elements (0,0,..., v(r),0,...) , then a generic element of F(V) can be decomposed in a unique way as sum of elements belonging to each V(r)? In an intuitive way, this construction allows to "mix" together possibly wildly different vector spaces in a bigger vector space and give a meaning to a sum of their elements using the "+" sign. We can do algebra with this "+" operation. This works because we cannot "really" (that is not only formally) sum elements belonging to different vector spaces. The "+" is formal when refers to formal addends, whereas it is "real" when it refers to elements of the formal sum that are of the same type, that is, belong to the same subspace of F(V). The "+" sign is overloaded, a C++ programmer would say.

I'm new to this kind of constructions so I get confused at times, I hope that it is at least clear what I do not understand.

Last edited:
Goldbeetle said:
Why only a finite number of components are non zero?

Well, this is just by definition of the direct sum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_sum_of_modules#Construction_for_an_arbitrary_family_of_modules
Goldbeetle said:
Also, I do not understand the meaning of the "+" sign? Is it a short-hand for the fact that, after identifying for each r each tensor product space V(r) with the subspace of F(V) of the elements (0,0,..., v(r),0,...) , then a generic element of F(V) can be decomposed in a unique way as sum of elements belonging to each V(r)?
Yes, I suppose you could see it that way. But I think it is mostly just a notation that allows you to write an element of the direct sum succintly. Because formally, the direct sum of a familly M_i of R-modules

[tex]\bigoplus_{i\in I}M_i[/tex]

is defined quite abstractly as the set of all functions

[tex]f:I\rightarrow \bigcup_{i\in I}M_i[/tex]

such that f(i) belongs to M_i, and f(i)=0 for all but finitely many i. So one way amongst other to note such a function is as the "formal sum"

[tex]\sum_{j=i}^rf(i_j)[/tex]

where i_j are the indices on which f does not vanish.

Of course it gets awkward when some of the M_i are the same, but if not, as in your case, then the notation is unambiguous. And it has the benefit of somewhat capturing the idea that [itex]\bigoplus_{i\in I}M_i[/itex] takes all the elements of the M_i and "unite" them in one big module.

In the attached page of the book, the number of vector spaces "summed" is infinite, so potentially there are elements with infinitely many non zero components.

By definition, no.

If this were the direct product (aka cartesian product [itex]\times[/itex]) being used of the V^(i), then you'd be right. Some elements of F(V) would have infinitely many non zero components. By this is the direct sum, which means, by definition, the element of the direct product for which only finitely many components are non zero.

Quasar987,
I've read more carefully the wikipedia article that you linked above and things are starting to click. The definition given in the book is misleading, it refers to the standard definition of direct sum of vector spaces that is given earlier in the book and does not modify it. Also the meaning of formal sums is not made explicit.

Direct sums satisfy the universal property for the coproduct. That implies that if you have a bunch of vector spaces Vi, then their direct sum is a space V which "contains" each Vi as a subspace, and is the smallest such vector space; that is, no proper subspace of V contains each Vi. That means V must be spanned by each Vi, which means it consists of all vectors that are finite linear combinations of vectors in each Vi.

It just so happens that in the category of vector spaces, the direct sum (coproduct) can be regarded as a subspace of the Cartesian product (product).

Adriank, thanks, but it's way too abstract for me.

I'm just saying that the direct sum is the smallest possible vector space containing each of the summands. (...such that the summands intersect only at 0, anyway, but that's not important for the finite sum thing.)

Is there anyway to "define formal" starting from functions on the set of the infinite direct sum of vector spaces and not null in a finite number of elements?

Ops...I think Quasar987 has done it already!

Last edited:

Related to Infine Direct Sum of Vector spaces

1. What is an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces?

An Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces is a mathematical concept that involves combining two or more vector spaces into a larger vector space. This is done by taking the direct sum of the individual vector spaces, which is the set of all possible combinations of vectors from each space. In other words, it is the union of all the vector spaces.

2. How is an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces different from a regular direct sum?

An Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces is different from a regular direct sum in that it allows for an infinite number of vector spaces to be combined, whereas a regular direct sum only allows for a finite number of vector spaces. This means that an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces can have infinitely many dimensions, while a regular direct sum is limited by the number of vector spaces being combined.

3. What is the significance of an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces in mathematics?

An Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces is significant in mathematics because it allows for the study and analysis of infinite-dimensional vector spaces. This is important in many areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces be decomposed into smaller direct sums?

Yes, an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces can be decomposed into smaller direct sums. This is known as the direct sum decomposition theorem, which states that any vector space can be decomposed into a direct sum of smaller vector spaces. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the larger vector space.

5. What are some examples of using an Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces in real-world applications?

An Infine Direct Sum of Vector Spaces has many practical applications, such as in signal processing, where signals can be represented as vectors in an infinite-dimensional vector space. It is also used in quantum mechanics, where wave functions can be represented as vectors in an infinite-dimensional vector space. Other examples include Fourier series, where functions can be represented as infinite sums of vectors, and 3D computer graphics, where points and objects can be represented as vectors in an infinite-dimensional vector space.