Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

inf{frac{n*sqrt(3)} : n in integer}=0

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Prove that $\inf \{ \text{ frac}(n \sqrt{3}) : n \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \}$ where $frac(x)$ is the fractional part of $x$

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
The OP misses "= 0," which is present in the thread title.

Equidistribution theorem is much stronger than the fact that $\{\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(n\sqrt{3})\mid n\in\mathbb{Z}^+\}$ is dense in [0, 1], which is sufficient here. This was discussed in the old forum, but there are some differences, at least at first glance. Namely, \[\begin{aligned}0&=\inf\{m\cdot1+n\cdot \sqrt{3}\mid m\cdot1+n\cdot\sqrt{3}>0\mbox{ and }m,n\in\mathbb{Z}\}\\&\le\inf\{m\cdot1+n\cdot\sqrt{3}\mid m\cdot1+n\cdot \sqrt{3}>0,m\in\mathbb{Z}^-,n\in\mathbb{Z}^+\}\\& = \inf\{\mathop{\mbox{frac}} (n\sqrt{3}) \mid n\in\mathbb{Z}^+\}\end{aligned}\] but I am not sure about equality right away.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
That is not a complete question.
I am so sorry. The infimum is to be proved to be equal to zero as Makarov has pointed out.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Actually this can be done using Pigeon hole principle.

Denote $x_n=\text{frac}(n \sqrt{3})$

Let $n \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}$. Partition the interval $(0,1)$ into $n$ parts, viz, $(0,\frac{1}{n}),(\frac{1}{n},\frac{2}{n}), \ldots, (\frac{n-1}{n},1)$

Consider $n+1$ numbers, $x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_{n+1}$.

By PHP there exist $i,j, i \neq j$ such that $x_i,x_j \in (\frac{k}{n},\frac{k+1}{n})$.

This implies $\text{frac}(|i-j|\sqrt{3}) < \frac{1}{n}$. Thus $x_{|i-j|} < \frac{1}{n}$.

I can't think of any other proof.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
By PHP there exist $i,j, i \neq j$ such that $x_i,x_j \in (\frac{k}{n},\frac{k+1}{n})$.

This implies $\text{frac}(|i-j|\sqrt{3}) < \frac{1}{n}$.
Not necessarily. Suppose $j > i$, but $\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3}) < \mathop{\mbox{frac}}(i\sqrt{3})$. Then \[\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3})=\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3})-\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(i\sqrt{3})+1\] so \[1-1/n<\mathop{\mbox{frac}}((j-i)\sqrt{3})<1\]

For example, $\sqrt{3}\approx1.73$ and $2\sqrt{3}\approx 3.46$, so $0 < \mathop{\mbox{frac}}(\sqrt{3})-\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(2\sqrt{3}) < 0.3$. However, $1-0.3<\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(2\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{3})<1$.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Not necessarily. Suppose $j > i$, but $\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3}) < \mathop{\mbox{frac}}(i\sqrt{3})$. Then \[\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3}-i\sqrt{3})=\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(j\sqrt{3})-\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(i\sqrt{3})+1\] so \[1-1/n<\mathop{\mbox{frac}}((j-i)\sqrt{3})<1\]

For example, $\sqrt{3}\approx1.73$ and $2\sqrt{3}\approx 3.46$, so $0 < \mathop{\mbox{frac}}(\sqrt{3})-\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(2\sqrt{3}) < 0.3$. However, $1-0.3<\mathop{\mbox{frac}}(2\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{3})<1$.
Ah! yes. My mistake.
The proof changes a little bit.
We have $x_i, x_j \in (\frac{k}{n},\frac{k+1}{n})$
suppose $x_i>x_j$ then $frac((i-j) \sqrt{3}) < \frac{1}{n} \Rightarrow x_{i-j} < \frac{1}{n}$ EDIT: what if $i<j$ :O
Similarly for $x_j > x_i$
$x_i=x_j$ is not a possibility.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Well after more fiddling around I can only prove that $inf \{ n \sqrt{3} : n \in \mathbb{Z} \} =0$. I am not able to show that $inf \{ n \sqrt{3} : n \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \} =0$.
I don't even know whether the latter is true.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just as a little $\LaTeX$ hint: use the backslash for infinum instead of just inf. You get '$\inf$' versus '$inf$'.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I can only prove that $\inf \{ n \sqrt{3} : n \in \mathbb{Z} \} =0$.
Well, this is not true, of course, because this set is not bounded from below... I'll return to this question when I have more time.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Well, this is not true, of course, because this set is not bounded from below... I'll return to this question when I have more time.
That was a typo again... sorry:
What I meant was $\inf \{ \text{frac}(n \sqrt{3}): n \in \mathbb{Z} \}=0$

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Prove that $\inf \{ \text{ frac}(n \sqrt{3}) : n \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \} = 0$ where $\text{frac}(x)$ is the fractional part of $x$
One very constructive way to approach this is to use the continued fraction approximants to $\sqrt3$. These are alternately slightly less than, and slightly greater than, $\sqrt3.$ Take one of the approximants that is less than $\sqrt3$, for example 265/153. You can then check that $153\sqrt3\approx 265.00377...$, whose fractional part is very small.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
One very constructive way to approach this is to use the continued fraction approximants to $\sqrt3$. These are alternately slightly less than, and slightly greater than, $\sqrt3.$ Take one of the approximants that is less than $\sqrt3$, for example 265/153. You can then check that $153\sqrt3\approx 265.00377...$, whose fractional part is very small.
Thank you Opalg but I am ignorant about continued fractions. Anyways.. thanks for the help.