Inertial vs accelerating frame

In summary, the concept of being in an inertial frame only applies in flat spacetime. In special relativity, a falling observer is considered non-inertial, but in general relativity, they are considered inertial in a local sense. The equivalence principle states that in a small enough region, it is impossible to distinguish between freefall in a gravitational field and no gravity. However, tidal forces can disrupt this equivalence. There are three types of acceleration: coordinate, acceleration 4-vector, and proper acceleration, and it is important to know which one is being discussed. In SR, the falling observer is non-inertial, but in GR, they are inertial. The concept of SR does not apply in GR.
Rear Naked
I'm free-falling towards a planet.

Inertial or not?

I suppose this is a postulate of general relativity isn't it?

When I'm studying special relativity I would say Non-inertial, but then if I think about how I cannot really tell if I am accelerating or just traveling a constant velocity, I'm getting confused.

What say you?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, er,no...actually depnds on which vision you have:

Newton says: you are accelerating,

Einstein says: no way, you feel no force, therefore you are moving inertially (excluding tidal effects)...

So in SR I am non-inertial, but in GR I am inertial?

:bugeye:

Do Not Like.

The concept of an inertial frame only really has meaning in flat spacetime.

If you work in special relativity and regard a gravitational field as a fixed potential applying forces to a system of particles, sort of like a static electric field where everything has the same mass/charge ratio, then a falling observer is not inertial. It's then the observation that you can't tell the difference between freefall in gravity and no gravity (if you're looking in a small enough region) that leads to the equivalence principle.

The way the idea of inertial frames carries over into GR is to the weaker idea of local inertial frames, which are sets of coordinates in which spacetime looks locally like flat Minkowski spacetime. So if you're freefalling towards a planet, and you do some experiments in a small enough region near you (much smaller than the length over which the gravitational field changes appreciably), you get the same results as you would with no gravity. This is the same idea that if you're living on a giant sphere, like a perfectly smooth earth, you can't tell it's curved until you start to venture long distances, so if I'm working in a small area I can assume it's flat.

Ok.Can I do an experiment while falling over a great distance that tells me that I am accelerating?

The equivalence principle only applies to those instances where change in gravitational forces are negligible?

fishy...

No, you can't tell you're accelerating. But you can tell when things are accelerating relative to one another.

Imagine you're falling towards the planet, but you set it up to begin with so you're surrounded by a sphere of stones, which are also falling freely. From your point of view, what happens?

The stones at the top are slightly further from the planet, so they're in less gravity. You accelerate more rapidly than the stones, so from your point of view, they accelerate upwards away from you. Similarly, the stones below you accelerate down away from you. The stones to the side are getting a slightly different direction of gravitational field, at a small inward angle, so they appear to get accelerated towards you as everything is pulled to the centre of the planet.

So the sphere appears to deform into an ellipsiodal sort of shape. But you are not measuring the acceleration here, but the relative acceleration. The larger the sphere, the more obvious the effect will become. In the limit of a very small sphere, you see no measurable effect and you can't see anything that tells you you aren't in deep space. This is the equivalence principle. What destroys the 'inertialness' is the effect of tidal forces, which are anisotropies in the gravitational field.

Your suspicion over the equivalence principle is well founded. While it has a decent mathematical formulation (spacetime is a Lorentzian manifold) it's physical basis is perhaps a little bit woolly. As I alluded to in my previous post it's the same as the statement that a small enough patch of a sphere is flat, which is a statement of approximation rather than absolute fact.

There are many types of acceleration. In Newton's framework we talk of 3-acceleration that is acceleration in 3 dimensions. In Relativity we have 4 dimensions so we talk of 4-acceleration. 4-acceleration has three meanings:

1) co-ordinate acceleration. This corresponds to the Newtonian concept of dv/dt.
2) acceleration 4-vector. This is invariant, has no need of co-ordinates because it is a tensor of rank 1.
3) proper acceleration. This is the 4-vector projected onto a co-moving reference frame.

Each has different properties and it is important to know which you are talking about. If you are in free fall although your v is changing with respect to the co-ordinates (i.e. accelerating in the Newtonian sense), your acceleration 4-vector is zero. To be accelerating in 4-space the angle of the 4-velocity must be changing.

Rear Naked said:
So in SR I am non-inertial, but in GR I am inertial?
No. In Newtonian physics you are non-inertial, in GR you are inertial. SR simply doesn't apply.

Rear Naked said:
I'm free-falling towards a planet.

Inertial or not?
If I assume you are talking about general relativity then you are in a local inertial frame. When you try to extend this frame globally you will be confronted by tidal forces.

It's about things moving with respect to you, if they are moving with the same accelertion you will not be able to tell. But if you falling towards a planet there would be curvature of space and causes tidal forces.

I am not sure there would be bending of light because of the acceleration. Anyone help?

DaleSpam said:
No. In Newtonian physics you are non-inertial, in GR you are inertial. SR simply doesn't apply.

Why doesn't SR apply? Doesn't that assertion rely on the faller having knowledge about the planet and gravitational effects?

If we have Einstein inside of a falling room. The classic elevator perhaps. He is accelerating toward the planet due to gravitational effects. He doesn't know this. Does Einstein accept or reject SR in this elevator?

I guess my question is : At what point does the faller decide that SR doesn't apply?

Do SR experiments fail in this elevator?

Thanks everyone

Rear Naked said:
If we have Einstein inside of a falling room. The classic elevator perhaps. He is accelerating toward the planet due to gravitational effects. He doesn't know this. Does Einstein accept or reject SR in this elevator?

I guess my question is : At what point does the faller decide that SR doesn't apply?
At the point that he can measure tidal effects.

Ok I got it. Just to be sure, tidal forces are the only reason SR doesn't apply in gravitational situations?

Yes. Tidal forces are represented by spacetime curvature in GR, and SR is the limit of GR where spacetime is flat.

SR applies locally, briefly between observers in the same immediate place in a gravitational field, whether freefalling or accelerating, while GR applies globally.

grav-universe said:
SR applies locally, briefly between observers in the same immediate place in a gravitational field, whether freefalling or accelerating, while GR applies globally.

Saying that SR applies briefly and locally in an accelerating field, is really saying that under those conditions, tidal effects are negligible, and therefore SR applies.

I have very little understanding of GR obviously.

Related to Inertial vs accelerating frame

1. What is the difference between an inertial and an accelerating frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law of motion holds true, meaning that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. An accelerating frame, on the other hand, is a reference frame in which Newton's first law does not hold true, and objects will experience a change in velocity even without the influence of an external force.

2. How do we determine if a frame is inertial or accelerating?

A frame is considered to be inertial if it is not accelerating or rotating. This means that there are no external forces acting on the frame or any objects within it that would cause a change in velocity. Conversely, a frame is accelerating if there is a net force acting on it or any objects within it, causing a change in velocity.

3. Why do we use inertial frames in scientific experiments and calculations?

Inertial frames provide a consistent and reliable reference point for measuring the motion of objects. This is important in scientific experiments and calculations because it allows for accurate and precise measurements and predictions of motion without the interference of external forces.

4. Can an accelerating frame be considered as an inertial frame?

No, an accelerating frame cannot be considered as an inertial frame because it does not follow the laws of motion as defined by Newton's first law. In an accelerating frame, objects will experience a change in velocity even without the influence of external forces, which goes against the principle of inertia in an inertial frame.

5. What are some real-world examples of inertial and accelerating frames?

An example of an inertial frame would be a spaceship traveling at a constant speed in outer space, where there are no external forces acting on the ship. An example of an accelerating frame would be a car accelerating on a highway, where the car experiences a change in velocity due to the force of the engine.