Inertial frames and related predictions

In summary, physicists have inferred that there is no experimental test that can distinguish between inertial frames. This negative form of the statement is crucial as it can be tested and potentially falsified, although it has never been. The positive form of the statement, which states that there is an experimental test, has not been proven and remains inconclusive. Einstein's first postulate, the principle of relativity, is often stated in a positive way but it cannot be experimentally verified and is therefore raised to the status of a postulate.
spaghetti3451
As a result of observations made over many, many years, physicists have inferred that:

"No experimental test provides any way to distinguish an inertial frame from another."

This negative form of the statement is important, as it is a prediction which can be tested experimentally and thus falsified. It has never been.

I have been unable to undestand why the negative form of the statement is important. So, I have attempted to write down the positive form of the statement. This is it: "There is an experimental test that can distinguish between inertial frames."

This is not a prediction (as it does not follow from the experimental evidence of the last four hundred years), but the statement can be put to test through experiments. However, it will be very difficult to prove as all the experiments conducted so far have been unable to distinguish between inertial frames. So, the matter would remain inconclusive.

In spite of what I have written, I still don't understand the importance of writing down the prediction in a form in which it can be falsified. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's first postulate, the principle of relativity (not to be confused with Special Relativity which also requires his second postulate, which cannot be experimentally verified).

ghwellsjr said:
Einstein's first postulate, the principle of relativity (not to be confused with Special Relativity which also requires his second postulate, which cannot be experimentally verified).

I know that this is the first postulate, but I still don't see how the negative form of the postulate is important in that it can be experimentally tested and thus falsified.

I have never seen the principle of relativity stated in a negative way. Einstein stated it in his 1905 paper as:
the same laws of electrodynamics and optics will be valid for all frames of reference for which the equations of mechanics hold good
which appears to me to be a positive statement but of course it can never be proven, although it could be falsified by a single counter example. But this is why Einstein raised it "to the status of a postulate" so that it is assumed to be true without any proof.

Related to Inertial frames and related predictions

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How are inertial frames related to predictions in physics?

Inertial frames are essential in making accurate predictions in physics. They serve as a standard reference point for measuring motion and determining the effects of forces on objects.

3. What is the difference between an inertial frame and a non-inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law holds true, while a non-inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law does not hold true and objects experience fictitious forces.

4. Can inertial frames be used in all situations?

No, there are some situations where an inertial frame may not be the most appropriate reference frame. For example, in situations involving extreme speeds or strong gravitational forces, special relativity and general relativity must be used instead.

5. How does the concept of inertia relate to inertial frames?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. Inertial frames are based on this concept and provide a reference point for measuring an object's state of motion and the effects of external forces on it.