Inertia of a pendulum with disc

In summary, the pendulum consists of a uniform thin rod of mass 5 kg and length 2 m with a circular disc of mass 8 kg and radius 0.4 m attached to one end. The CoM and Moment of Inertia for the disc are not provided. To calculate the CoM and Moment of Inertia, the parallel-axis theorem can be used. For part i, the CoM of the disc can be found by using the formula M = ((5*1)+(8*1))/13. For part ii, the CoM is found to be 1.62m from the pivot and the Moment of Inertia is 5.507 kgm^2. However, it is important to note
adam640
A pendulum consists of a uniform thin rod of mass 5 kg and length 2 m to which is fixed a circular disc of mass 8 kg and radius 0.4 m. There is a pivot at one end.

(a) Find the CoM and Moment of Inertia when the disc is:
(i) half way along the rod;
(ii) at the opposite end of the rod to the pivot.

I cannot do part i. I found the moment of inertia of the rod to be
I = (1/3)ML^2
I = 1/3*5*2^2
I = 6.667 kgm^2

but I don't know how to calculate for the disc.

For part ii. I found the CoM using
M = ((5*1)+(8*2))/13
M = 1.62m from pivot

I found Inertia using:
I = (1/12)ML^2 +(1/2)MR^2+ML^2
I = 5.507 kgm^2

Have I got the correct answer for part ii? How would I calculate for part i? Also, how would I find angular velocity given angular impulse? Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
but I don't know how to calculate for the disc.
Hint: parallel-axis theorem.
Have I got the correct answer for part ii?
You seem to have assumed that the CoM of the disk is at the end of the rod ... is that actually the case or is the disc attached to the rod by it's rim?
You seem to have the mass of each object to be the same in the equation for I (same M in each term).
Where do you get the (1/12) part from?

Last edited:

Related to Inertia of a pendulum with disc

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is a property of matter that causes an object to maintain its current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia affect a pendulum with a disc?

Inertia affects a pendulum with a disc in two ways. First, the disc's mass and distribution of mass will determine the moment of inertia, which affects the pendulum's period. Second, the disc's inertia will cause it to resist changes in its state of motion, affecting the pendulum's swing.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect a pendulum with a disc?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, affects the period of a pendulum with a disc. The larger the moment of inertia, the longer the period of the pendulum will be.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its inertia?

The length of the pendulum has no direct effect on its inertia. However, a longer pendulum will have a larger moment of inertia due to the increased distance between the pivot point and the disc, resulting in a longer period.

5. Can the inertia of a pendulum with a disc be changed?

Yes, the inertia of a pendulum with a disc can be changed by altering either the mass or the distribution of mass in the disc. This will affect the moment of inertia and therefore, the pendulum's period. Additionally, an external force can also be applied to change the pendulum's state of motion, altering its inertia.