Inertia and Kinetic energy of the sun

In summary, the conversation was about finding the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun using incorrect formulas. The correct formulas were provided and the real problem was determined to be using the wrong formula for spin kinetic energy. The correct answers with units are I = 0.059 * 10^50 kg*m^2 and K energy = 2.8 * 10^41 J.
Torrenza

Homework Statement

Ive been trying to find the Inertia and Kinetic energy of the sun. I have a feeling I am using the wrong formulas to obtain the answer.

Mass of sun 2*10^30kg
Radius of sun 700*10^6 m
t spin = 26 days

the answers should be
I = 4.0 * 10^98
K energy = 1.5 * 10^16

Homework Equations

I=(2/5)*M*R^2
K= (1/2)M*(ω^2)*(r^2)
ω = 2pi/t

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone knows how to do this i would really appreciate it.:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is correct. The answer you gave is not correct. (by a factor of more than 10^50)

Another problem is that the core of the sun is so much more dense than the upper layers.
According to this http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/sunfact.html"

the moment of inertia is about 0.059*M*R^2 instead of 0.4*M*R^2

The equaton for kinetic energy is [tex] K = \frac {1}{2}I {\omega}^2 [/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia. The answer given is wrong. All of the answers
require units.

Last edited by a moderator:
willem2 said:
The equation for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is correct. The answer you gave is not correct. (by a factor of more than 10^50)

Another problem is that the core of the sun is so much more dense than the upper layers.
According to this http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/sunfact.html"

the moment of inertia is about 0.059*M*R^2 instead of 0.4*M*R^2

The equaton for kinetic energy is [tex] K = \frac {1}{2}I {\omega}^2 [/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia. The answer given is wrong. All of the answers
require units.

The real problem here isn't the overly-simplified model of the sun, but the wrong formula given for spin kinetic energy.

Spin kinetic energy is the kinetic energy associated with an object's rotation about its own center of mass.

The formula for it is: [tex]K_{spin}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex] where [tex]I[/tex] is the relevant moment of inertia (Depending on what axis the object is spinning about).

The formula you cited is only true for a point object, and for thin rings, where, as a private case of the general formula, [tex]I=mr^2[/tex], which does not hold in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answering the question, I now see what i did wrong. The I = 4.0 * 10^98 was a note taking error, lol just a slight difference from the real answer.

Related to Inertia and Kinetic energy of the sun

1. What is inertia and kinetic energy of the sun?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. The sun's inertia is a result of its massive size and the force of gravity acting upon it. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. The sun has a tremendous amount of kinetic energy due to its constant fusion reaction at its core.

2. How does the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun affect the solar system?

The sun's inertia keeps it in a stable orbit around the center of our galaxy, and its kinetic energy provides the necessary gravitational force to keep all the planets in our solar system in their respective orbits.

3. What factors affect the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun?

The inertia of the sun is primarily affected by its mass and the distance from other massive objects, such as other stars or black holes. The kinetic energy of the sun is affected by its mass, speed, and the rate of fusion reactions happening at its core.

4. How is the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun measured?

The inertia of the sun can be calculated using its mass and the gravitational constant. The kinetic energy of the sun can be measured by determining its velocity and mass, and using the equation for kinetic energy (KE=1/2mv^2).

5. Can the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun change over time?

Yes, the inertia and kinetic energy of the sun can change over time. The sun loses mass through its fusion reactions, which can affect its inertia. Its kinetic energy can also vary depending on the rate of fusion reactions happening at its core.