Boolean Logic cannot deal with infinitely many objects

• Thread starter Organic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Cantor's Diagonalization method and its application to infinite combinations of 01 notations. The speaker presents examples of this method and explains how it contradicts Boolean Logic in dealing with infinite objects. They also mention the importance of understanding the fundamentals of mathematics before creating new concepts.
Master_coda,

At this point i need your help.

Zf set theory defines the empty set as:

the set A such that x not in A is always true, regardless of what x is.

If you look at this definition, then x must be some existing input form of information.

My idea go deeper then that, and start its research by including the limits of any form of information.

Can you help me to define this idea in a formal way?

Thank you.

Organic

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Organic

If you look at this definition, then x must be some existing form of information.

Why must x be an existing form of information?

And what if x is Emptiness?

And what if x is Emptiness?

Then x is not in the empty set.

And what if x is Fullness?

And what if x is Fullness?

Then x is not in the empty set.

No matter what x is, x is not in the empty set.

x is the input A is the set.

Whet is A if x is Emptiness?

What is A if x is Fullness?

What is A if x is not Epmtiness nor Fullness?

x is the input A is the set.

Whet is A if x is Emptiness?

What is A if x is Fullness?

What is A if x is not Epmtiness nor Fullness?

A is the same thing in all three cases. A is the empty set. It doesn't matter what x is.

A is the same thing in all three cases. A is the empty set. It doesn't matter what x is.
Really ?

x=Eemptiness

the set A such that Emptiness not in A is always true.

Last edited:
Really ?

x=Eemptiness

the set A such that Emptiness not in A is always true.

Of course, I'm still waiting for a mathematical definition of Emptiness from you. But however you define it, it isn't contained in the empty set.

Your post is poorly written, my best guess is that this sentence is supposed to be a definition of A:

And if that is correct, then A has been defined; it doesn't become something different. master_coda would thus be correct.

No, you used a formal definition and learned through our last posts
that this formal definition has logical holes in it that you did not close.

Please show me why do i have to define intuiative concepts like 'Emptiness' and 'Fullness'?

Last edited:
No, you used a formal definition and learned through our last posts
that this formal definition has logical holes in it that you did not close.

Please show me why do i have to define an intuiative concepts like 'Emptiness' and 'Fullness'?

Because in math, you have to define everything. Intuitive concepts have no mathematical value until they've been formally defined.

If you use the definition Emptiness=Empty Set then it is still true that [itex]\mathrm{Emptiness}\notin\mathrm{Empty Set}[/itex].

If you define Emptiness as "the thing that is contained in the empty set" than your formal system is inconsitent.

If you provide a non-mathematical definition than there's no point in even talking about what your definition has to do with math.

Please show me why do i have to define intuiative concepts like 'Emptiness' and 'Fullness'?

You wanted help expressing your ideas in a formal way. That entails defining everything.

There is no such a thing like "Empty set".

All we have is the set concept, and its name is given by its content.

We cannot separate between a set's name and its content's property,
as you wrongly show in your example.

Last edited:
Hi Hurkyl,

Then what is the definition of the set concept?

What is the definition of the content concept?

What is the definition of the number concept?

What is the definition of belonging?

Last edited:
There is no such a thing like "Empty set".

All we have is the set concept, and its name is given by its content.

We cannot separate between a set's name and its content's property,
as you wrongly show in your example.

Ultimately, this is why your math is worthless. The name of the set is arbitrary. Call it the empty set. Call it [itex]\varnothing[/itex]. Call it xerfniernisetjilsegtilnerilsneirk. It doesn't matter.

Saying "the empty set should contain emptiness because it's name is the empty set" doesn't mean anything. Math isn't about what you think should be true.

Math is about taking definitions and applying logic to them to see what conclusions you can try. If you aren't willing to define things, than you can't do math. It's as simple as that.

A "set" is an object in ZFC. (or substitute your favorite set theory)

I have no idea what "content" is because that's your idea and you haven't defined it.

As for "number" you're going to have to be more specific; e.g. do you mean real number?

master_coda

Emptiness=

x=Emptiness

A cannot be defined without x property.

Last edited:
Hurkyl,

A "set" is an object in ZFC.

x='set'

y='member'

A x is an object in ZFC.
A y is an object in ZFC.

How can i distinguish between them by your definition?

Everything in ZFC is a set, including members of other sets.

(There are other set theories, including some very similar to ZFC, where sets can contain things that aren't sets)

x='set'

y='member'

A x is an object in ZFC.
A y is an object in ZFC.

How can i distinguish between them by your definition?

x is a set if it can be constructed using the axioms of ZFC. y is a set if it can be constructed using the axioms of ZFC.

If y is not a set, then x is not equal to y.

If y is a set, then you can determine if x and y are equal using the axiom of extensionality.

Of course, in ZFC everything is a set, so the case of "y is not a set" doesn't actually matter.

So, set is an object in ZFC.

Then what is an object?

Then what is an object?

As used here, it's just a descriptive English word, and not a mathematical term. (Actually, so is "set" in this case, though in, say, Category Theory or NBG "set" is actually a mathematical term)

Hukyl,

Also "set" is just an Enlgish word.

Therefore we are in a circular definition like:

... a set is an object is a set is an object is ...

However, the axioms of ZFC are not just english words; they clearly define what one may do with sets.

Hurkyl,

Emptiness=

x=Emptiness

Please tell me what is A?

Hurkyl,

Emptiness=

x=Emptiness

A is the empty set. We don't need to know the properties of x, since the definition of A doesn't mention any of the properties of x. If the definition said somewhere "x must have property y" then we would need to know something about x. But the definition doesn't depend on what x is.

master_coda,

The definition is fine, but A's name depends on x property.

So, here is my question again:

Emptiness=

x=Emptiness

[itex]\varnothing[/itex] is defined by:

[tex]\forall x: x \notin \varnothing[/tex]

This is well defined, because one can prove that:

[tex]
\forall y: \left(
( \forall x: x \notin y ) \Rightarrow y = \varnothing
\right)
[/tex]

IOW if [itex]A[/itex] is a set such that for all [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x \notin A[/itex], then [itex]A = \varnothing[/itex].

Last edited:
You can name A whatever you want. The name is just an arbitrary label. If you don't like calling it the empty set, then call it whatever you want. Just make it clear that your name for it is a label for the thing mathematicians call the empty set.

There is only one set that satisifies the definition
[tex]\forall x\colon(x\notin\varnothing)[/tex]

So to get A as an Empty set we have to define it like that:

if A is a set such that for all x,x not in A, then A={}(=Empty set) .

But:

Emptiness=

All x=Emptiness

What is set A?

But:

Emptiness=

All x=Emptiness

What is set A?

I don't understand what you're asking.

to get A as an Empty set we have to define it like that:

COND='all x' Or COND='any x'

if A is a set such that for COND,x not in A, then A={}(=Empty set) .

Do you agree with both COND?

to get A as an Empty set we have to define it like that:

COND='all x' Or COND='any x'

if A is a set such that for COND,x not in A, then A={}(=Empty set) .

Do you agree with both COND?

Yes.

<h2>What is Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with binary values, true and false, and logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. It is commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics.</p><h2>Why can't Boolean Logic deal with infinitely many objects?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is based on the concept of binary values, which means it can only represent two states - true and false. It is not equipped to handle infinite values or continuous variables, making it unsuitable for dealing with infinitely many objects.</p><h2>What are the limitations of Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is limited in its ability to handle complex or ambiguous situations. It cannot handle continuous variables, probabilities, or infinite values. It also does not account for uncertainty or degrees of truth.</p><h2>Is there a way to work around the limitations of Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Yes, there are other types of logic, such as fuzzy logic and probabilistic logic, that can handle more complex situations and infinite values. These types of logic are often used in artificial intelligence and machine learning.</p><h2>Why is Boolean Logic still used if it has limitations?</h2><p>Despite its limitations, Boolean Logic is still widely used in computer programming and digital electronics because it is simple, efficient, and well-suited for handling binary operations. It also serves as the foundation for other types of logic and can be combined with them to solve more complex problems.</p>

What is Boolean Logic?

Boolean Logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with binary values, true and false, and logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. It is commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics.

Why can't Boolean Logic deal with infinitely many objects?

Boolean Logic is based on the concept of binary values, which means it can only represent two states - true and false. It is not equipped to handle infinite values or continuous variables, making it unsuitable for dealing with infinitely many objects.

What are the limitations of Boolean Logic?

Boolean Logic is limited in its ability to handle complex or ambiguous situations. It cannot handle continuous variables, probabilities, or infinite values. It also does not account for uncertainty or degrees of truth.

Is there a way to work around the limitations of Boolean Logic?

Yes, there are other types of logic, such as fuzzy logic and probabilistic logic, that can handle more complex situations and infinite values. These types of logic are often used in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

Why is Boolean Logic still used if it has limitations?

Despite its limitations, Boolean Logic is still widely used in computer programming and digital electronics because it is simple, efficient, and well-suited for handling binary operations. It also serves as the foundation for other types of logic and can be combined with them to solve more complex problems.