Does anyone hear know anything about phhysics?

• Thread starter Terry Giblin
  • Start date
In summary, Terry is discussing the difficulty in defining and understanding the nature of fundamental particles such as electrons and gravitons. Despite advancements in physics over the years, these questions still remain open and there is no clear consensus among experts. Terry has reached out to various experts and universities for answers, but has not found a satisfactory explanation. He has been advised to ask these questions in a separate thread in the Philosophy of Science forum, rather than hijacking a thread on a high-school student's paper. In response to this, Terry asks where he can find a concise description or theoretical understanding of what an electron truly is, considering the vast amount of properties and measurements that have been discovered. This highlights the ongoing debate and lack of understanding surrounding fundamental particles
Terry Giblin
physics_illiterate,

I found the web page you suggested very interesting.

You said that you were onto question regarding ultrahigh-energy particles.

Depending on which of the 11 questions you answered first will determine the ease and speed at which you can answer rest.

Where can get a copy of the report?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a shame no one asked to comment on the report, was not a member of the club. If they had picked a member of the Fight Club for Scientists, they may have came up with a much simpler list of questions.

Which these 11 questions could be used to verify.

Are protons unstable, for example? - Good test of a theory.

Bad speller's of the world unite!

I would rather be bad at one thing and better at another than just be average at both...wouldn't you?

Last edited:
jdavel said:
The website you want is google.com. Not only will you learn what a cosmic accelerator is, you'll learn how easy it is to learn about anything you're ever interested in learning about by using the internet.

Have fun!

One of us is wrong!

Have you seen the tv show called "John Doe" - I don't know if you have heard of it! John's a walking encyclopaedia, just like google on legs and with a brain...

I have challenged several of my friend's that John Doe or Google, cannot answer the following simple question;

"What is an electron?"

No one has yet came to claim their major prize by giving me an answer to a question that not even John Doe or Google has yet answered...

Terry, this is not the appropriate place to begin a philosophical debate about scientific definitions.

- Warren

"What is a graviton?" - Isaac Newton

chroot said:
Terry, this is not the appropriate place to begin a philosophical debate about scientific definitions.

- Warren

If I am answer the question in the wrong place, can you please let me know where I can get the answer to my simple question?

320 years ago Newton begain work on The Principia.

Exactly 100 years ago, Einstein wrote Special Relativity.

Yet 100 years afters Einstein discovery, whilst working in a PO in Switzerland, we still can not answer Newton's own question.

What a graviton is?

What an electron is?

What a photon is?

Or what a quark is?

I have already contacted several world leading experts and universities for advice and to ask their option, and it appears that these questions remain an open question.

If I can't ask Physics Forum - Who or where else can I find an answer to these basic questions?

There not on Google I have already checked.

Terry Giblin

You can ask those questions in our Philosophy of Science forum -- but not in a thread from a high-school student asking for help on a paper! We do not condone "hijacking" threads here. If you want to discuss that topic, I invite you to open another thread in the appropriate place.

- Warren

chroot said:
You can ask those questions in our Philosophy of Science forum -- but not in a thread from a high-school student asking for help on a paper! We do not condone "hijacking" threads here. If you want to discuss that topic, I invite you to open another thread in the appropriate place.

- Warren

Warren,

I apologise, if I have hijacked a thread by accident.

Would you classify the question "What is an electron?" as the subject of the "Philosophy of Science"?

On behalf of my children and I, all studying mathematics and physics, I would like to hear Physics Forums consensus option of "What is an electron?"

On a separate thread if required?

Regards

Terry Giblin

Terry, I would give you a physicists answer, but I suspect you already have in mind some pet theory or philosophy which confuses the point. So rather than go down that path (I have no interest), I suggest you do a little googling.

A better question would be, what can we measure about the electron, and/or how do we identify it relative to other fundamental particles?

I would hope that's the point of PF.

Haelfix said:
Terry, I would give you a physicists answer, but I suspect you already have in mind some pet theory or philosophy which confuses the point. So rather than go down that path (I have no interest), I suggest you do a little googling.

A better question would be, what can we measure about the electron, and/or how do we identify it relative to other fundamental particles?

Haelfix,

Thank you for your suggestion, I shall bear it in mind, I apologise if I am not phasing my questions or options in the correct scientific context or language, I've not had a scientific discussion in a long time. I have a scientific background but have lost all the jargon, when I joined the human race. - Its a jungle out there...

Bearing your question in mind,

Where can I find the top 10 - 20 properties, measurements of an electron?

10-20 Quantum Properties
10-20 Electrical and magnetic properties
Particle properties
Wave properties
10-20 Optical wave properties
10-20 electron-positron experiments

How many other fundamental particle has such a list of measurements, and yet no one using all the above facts, measurements, results can summarise or give a concise description or theoretical description of exactly what an electron is?

Where would we be without the ‘simple’ electron?

The M-theorem’s mathematical intuition is definitely correct but should it not be the turn of the physicists to use his intuition to look objectively at all possible physical interpretations of this theory from strings to the notes, which they play and the harmonics they produce – does sound need a string to propagate, once the string is plucked – why do .

We cannot precisely measure or calculate precisely the various speeds and directions in a tornado or hurricane, but I can describe their properties using Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, singularity or black hole or point of reflection.

But while you are pondering that thought, they say a picture paints a thousand words, please take a few seconds to look at a site I found.

http://www.nebulus.org/tutorials/2d/photoshop/color/

Think of dimensions, or leptons and baryons if you wish, as colours. Instead of three primary colours what if the was 8,9,10, 11 – or is that the screen or the cloud?

by fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Context and meaning are very important.

Warren,

Since you have already decided to move my comments to another thread, can you please at least put my comments into context, by including all related responses, including your own.

Please put my responses in their correct context and meaning.

Regards

Terry Giblin

1. What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world and how things work. It also helps us develop new technologies and innovations that improve our lives.

3. What are some examples of physics in everyday life?

Physics is involved in many aspects of our daily lives, from the motion of objects (such as cars and airplanes) to the light and sound that we experience. It also plays a role in technologies like computers, cell phones, and medical equipment.

4. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. Each branch focuses on different aspects of the physical world and has its own set of theories and principles.

5. How can I learn more about physics?

There are many ways to learn more about physics, including taking classes, reading books and articles, watching educational videos, and conducting experiments. You can also join physics clubs or attend lectures and workshops to further your understanding of this fascinating subject.