Inequality proof: If a>b implies a>c then b>c

In summary: What exactly is "it" here?You started off with $$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c) \implies (b \gt c)$$which is not true.In post #7 you showed $$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c) \implies (b \ge c)$$And in post #8$$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \ge b \implies a \ge c) \implies (b \ge c)$$The strongest version is $$(c < b
dimitri151
Summary:: To prove a conditional statement on a pair of inequalitites.

Mentor note: Moved from technical forum section, so the post is missing the usual fields.
I feel it should be possible to prove this but I keep getting lost in the symbolic manipulation.
Theorem: If a>b implies a>c then b>c.
Intuitively if every time a number a is greater than a number b it is also greater than a number c then b>c.
Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
dimitri151 said:
Summary:: To prove a conditional statement on a pair of inequalitites.

Mentor note: Moved from technical forum section, so the post is missing the usual fields.
I feel it should be possible to prove this but I keep getting lost in the symbolic manipulation.
Theorem: If a>b implies a>c then b>c.
Intuitively if every time a number a is greater than a number b it is also greater than a number c then b>c.
Is this correct?
The "theorem" is not true in general. Suppose a = 3, b = 1, and c = 2.
We have a > b being true, and we have a > c also true, but b < c.

Likes jim mcnamara
No. It is not correct. Even if you interpret it as (##\forall a \in R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c##) implies (##b \gt c##), the statement is false when ##b = c##.

Likes jim mcnamara
Mark44 said:
The "theorem" is not true in general. Suppose a = 3, b = 1, and c = 2.
We have a > b being true, and we have a > c also true, but b < c.
I think you have overlooked the significance of the "implies". The concept is that if b and c are such that, for all a, a>b implies a>c then it says something about the relationship between c and b.
As @FactChecker notes, the correct implication is b≥C.

Likes Dale
FactChecker said:
No. It is not correct. Even if you interpret it as (##\forall a \in R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c##) implies (##b \gt c##), the statement is false when ##b = c##.
So, the original theorem needs to be: $$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c) \implies (b \ge c)$$

Likes Dale and FactChecker
Stuff like this is the reason we need and use the formal symbolic notation.

Likes Dale and Mark44
Ah, it's a tautology in the new form by PeroK:
##(a>b\Rightarrow a>c)\Rightarrow(b\geq c)##
##=[\neg (a>b)\vee (a>c)\Rightarrow(b\geq c)##
##=(a\leq b\vee a>c)\Rightarrow b\geq c ##
##=\neg(a\leq b\vee a>c)\vee b\geq c##
## (a>b\wedge a\leq c)\vee (b\geq c)##
##=b<c \vee b\geq c##

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
Goodness gracious, now I think it IS correct again! Aaarg..

Stop me where I go wrong:
##(p\rightarrow q)\rightarrow r##
##=(\neg p\vee q)\rightarrow r##
##=\neg(\neg p\vee q)\vee r##
##=(p\wedge \neg q)\vee r##
If
##p=a\geq b##
##q=a\geq c##
##r=b\geq c##
Then ##(a\geq b\rightarrow a\geq c)\rightarrow b\geq c##
##=(a\geq b\wedge a<c)\vee b\geq c##
##b<c\vee b\geq c## is a tautology, that is, is always true.

dimitri151 said:
it IS correct
What exactly is "it" here?
You started off with
$$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c) \implies (b \gt c)$$
which is not true.
In post #7 you showed $$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \gt b \implies a \gt c) \implies (b \ge c)$$
And in post #8
$$(\forall a \in \mathbb R, a \ge b \implies a \ge c) \implies (b \ge c)$$

What is the strongest true version?

Likes PeroK
It may also be instructive to look at the contraposition: $$(c < b) \implies (\exists a, c < a < b)$$ Note that you can replace either or both of the ##<## with ##\le## in the second expression.

Note also that if ##c \le b##, then you can't necessarily find a similar ##a##, because of the case ##b = c##.

Related to Inequality proof: If a>b implies a>c then b>c

1. What is the meaning of "inequality proof"?

The term "inequality proof" refers to a mathematical proof that demonstrates the relationship between two or more quantities, showing that one is greater or less than the other.

2. What does "a>b implies a>c" mean?

This statement means that if a is greater than b, then a is also greater than c. In other words, if one quantity is larger than another, it will also be larger than a third quantity.

3. How is this inequality proof used in science?

Inequality proofs are commonly used in science to show the relationships between different variables or quantities. They can help scientists make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can this inequality proof be applied to all situations?

No, this inequality proof only applies to situations where the variables are related in a linear fashion. In more complex systems, the relationship between variables may not follow this pattern.

5. What are the limitations of using this inequality proof?

One limitation is that it only shows a linear relationship between two variables. It also assumes that the variables are continuous and do not have any other factors that may affect their relationship. Additionally, this proof may not hold true for all values of the variables, as it is based on a general rule rather than specific data.