Inequality Proof: Fun Problem | z,w <1 | Forum

In summary, the given statement $ \left| \frac { z- w }{1 - \overline{z}w} \right| < 1 $ can be proven by first showing that $|z|^2 + |w|^2 < 1 + |z|^2 |w|^2 $, which is always true, and then taking the square root of both sides. This method was previously discussed in a forum post from 2012 and was also presented in a proof by another user. However, it is still valuable to revisit old problems and explore different approaches.
SweatingBear
Here's a fun problem proof I came across. Show that

\(\displaystyle \left| \frac { z- w }{1 - \overline{z}w} \right| < 1\)

given \(\displaystyle |z|<1\), \(\displaystyle |w|<1\). I attempted writing z and w in rectangular coordinates (a+bi) but to no avail. Any suggestions, forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ironically, I thought it was a fun inequality problem too! XD

http://mathhelpboards.com/potw-graduate-students-45/problem-week-6-july-9th-2012-a-1408.html

Would you look at that, it was already treated unbeknownst to me (which just nullifies this thread, I'll have it depreciated). Thanks!

sweatingbear said:
Would you look at that, it was already treated unbeknownst to me (which just nullifies this thread, I'll have it depreciated). Thanks!

Don't agree , others might have different approaches.

sweatingbear said:

Nah, no need to worry about that. It's always good to revisit older problems. The thing I would be interested in is if there's another way to do it than the way I presented in that link.

I neglected to respond to POTW #6 in July 2012, so here is my solution to the problem. It relies on the fact that $\overline{z}z = |z|^2$.

Start with the fact that $(1-|z|^2)(1-|w|^2) > 0$. Then $$(1 - \overline{z}z)(1 - \overline{w}w) > 0,$$ $$1 - \overline{z}z - \overline{w}w + \overline{z}z\,\overline{w}w > 0,$$ $$\overline{z}z + \overline{w}w < 1 + \overline{z}z\,\overline{w}w.$$ Now subtract $\overline{z}w + \overline{w}z\ (=2\mathrm{Re}(\overline{z}w))$ from both sides: $$\overline{z}z - \overline{z}w - \overline{w}z + \overline{w}w < 1 - \overline{z}w - \overline{w}z + \overline{z}z\,\overline{w}w,$$ $$(\overline{z} - \overline{w})(z-w) < (1-\overline{z}w)(1-z\overline{w}),$$ $$|z-w|^2 < |1-\overline{z}w|^2$$ and finally, taking square roots, $$|z-w| < |1-\overline{z}w|,$$ $$\left|\frac{z-w}{1-\overline{z}w}\right|< 1.$$

Edit. Having looked at Chris's solution to POTW #6, I see that my solution is essentially the same as his.

Last edited:
Chris L T521 said:
The thing I would be interested in is if there's another way to do it than the way I presented in that link.

The given statement can be written $ |z-w| < |1 - \overline{z}w| $, which equivalently is $ |z-w|^2 < |1 - \overline{z}w|^2 $.

Let $ z = a +bi $ and $ w = c + di $. Thus $a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2 < (a^2+b^2)(c^2 + d^2) + 1$, or equivalently, $|z|^2 + |w|^2 < 1 + |z|^2 |w|^2 $. That statement is always true; we could write it as $ p + q < 1 + pq $ for $p<1$ and $q < 1$. This can be shown by expanding $ (1-p)(1-q) > 0 $.
$ \square $

Related to Inequality Proof: Fun Problem | z,w <1 | Forum

What is the "Inequality Proof: Fun Problem" about?

The "Inequality Proof: Fun Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves proving an inequality statement using algebraic methods. It is a popular problem among math enthusiasts and is often used as a challenge or practice exercise.

What does "z,w <1" mean in the problem?

"z,w <1" means that the variables z and w are both less than 1. This information is important as it provides a constraint for the possible values of z and w that can be used in the proof.

Is this problem suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

No, this problem is more advanced and is better suited for those with a strong understanding of algebra and inequalities. It may be difficult for those with limited math experience.

Can I use any method to solve this problem?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to solve this problem, such as substitution, contradiction, or direct proof. The most important aspect is to use logical and rigorous reasoning.

What is the benefit of solving this problem?

Solving this problem can improve critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as deepen understanding of algebraic concepts. It can also serve as a fun challenge for those who enjoy math.