Inequality Problem: $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)...(a_n+1)\geq2^n$

• MHB
  • Thread starter melese
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem states that if $a_1,a_2,...,a_n$ are positive real numbers satisfying the condition $a_1\cdot a_2\cdots a_n=1$, then the product $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)\cdots(a_n+1)$ is greater than or equal to $2^n$. This can be proven using various approaches, including applying AM-GM inequality, showing that the function $f(x)=ln(1+e^x)$ is convex, and using the fact that the minimum value of the product is obtained when all $a_i$ are equal to 1.
melese
Here's a nice problem.
Suppose $a_1,a_2,...,a_n$ are postive real numbers satisfying \(a_1\cdot a_2\cdots a_n=1\). Show that $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)\cdots(a_n+1)\geq2^n$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let $I_n:=\{1,\ldots,n\}$. Then $$\prod_{j=1}^n(1+a_j)=\sum_{J\subset I_n}\prod_{j\in J}a_j=\sum_{j\in J}\left(\prod_{j\in J}a_j\right)^{-1}$$ so $2\prod_{j=1}^n(1+a_j)=\sum_{J\subset I_n}f\left(\prod_{j\in J}a_j\right)$, where $f(x)=x+\frac 1x$. Since $f(x)-2=\frac{x^2+1-2x}x=\frac{(x-1)^2}x\geq 0$, we have $$2\prod_{j=1}^n(1+a_j)\geq \sum_{J\subset I_n}2=2\cdot 2^n$$ so $\prod_{j=1}^n(1+a_j)\geq 2^n$. We notice that we have equality if and only if for all $J\subset I_n$ we have $\prod_{j\in J}a_j=1$ i.e. for all $j\in I_n$, $a_j=1$.

Here's another solution.

In general, if we consider the postive number pairs $(t,s)$ and $(\sqrt {ts},\sqrt {ts})$, we find that \[ts=\sqrt {ts}\sqrt {ts}\], but by the AM-GM inequality \[(\sqrt {ts}+1)(\sqrt {ts}+1)=(\sqrt {ts}+1)^2=ts+2\sqrt {ts}+1\leq ts+2\frac{t+s}{2}+1=(t+1)(s+1)\] with equality only when $t=s$. This means that the product $(t+1)(s+1)$ is minimal exactly when $t=s$ to begin with.

If not all the $a_i$ are equal, then WLOG $a_1\neq a_2$. But then, \[(a_1+1)\cdot(a_2+1)\cdots(a_n+1)\geq(\sqrt{a_1a_2}+1)(\sqrt{a_1a_2}+1)\cdots(a_n+1),\] which means that minimum value of $(a_1+1)\cdot(a_2+1)\cdots(a_n+1)$ is obtained only if we assume all the $a_i$ are equal. The assumption $a_1\cdot a_2\cdots a_n=1$ gives $a_1=a_2=...=a_n=1$.

So it's true that $(a_1+1)\cdot(a_2+1)\cdots(a_n+1)\geq(1+1)(1+1) \cdots(1+1)=2^n$.

Another approach:

Consider the function f(x) = ln(1 + e^x). Show that the second derivative is positive, hence f is convex. Then apply Jensen's Inequality.

since for i=1,2,3,-----n

$a_i>0$

$a_i+1\geq 2\sqrt {a_i\times1}$

$\therefore (a_1+1)(a_2+1)--------(a_n+1)\geq 2^n(\sqrt{a_1a_2a_3------a_n}=2^n$

and the proof is done

Last edited:

Related to Inequality Problem: $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)...(a_n+1)\geq2^n$

1. What is the inequality problem $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)...(a_n+1)\geq2^n$?

The inequality problem $(a_1+1)(a_2+1)...(a_n+1)\geq2^n$ is a mathematical inequality that states that the product of a set of numbers, each increased by 1, will always be greater than or equal to 2 raised to the power of the number of numbers in the set.

2. What is the significance of this inequality problem?

This inequality problem has several important applications in mathematics and science. It is often used in combinatorics, probability, and number theory to prove various theorems and solve problems. It also has practical implications in fields such as economics and computer science.

3. How can this inequality problem be proved?

There are several ways to prove this inequality, depending on the context and level of mathematics being used. One approach is to use mathematical induction, where the base case is shown to be true and then the inductive step is used to show that if the inequality holds for a certain number, it also holds for the next number. Another approach is to use the AM-GM inequality, which states that the arithmetic mean of a set of numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of the same set of numbers.

4. Can this inequality problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this inequality problem has many real-life applications. For example, it can be used to show that the average cost of a set of items is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of their individual costs. It can also be used to prove certain economic theories and inequalities related to income distribution.

5. Are there any similar inequality problems?

Yes, there are many similar inequality problems that involve products and sums of numbers. Some examples include the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the Hölder's inequality, and the Minkowski's inequality. These inequalities have their own unique properties and applications, but they all share the same goal of proving relationships between products and sums of numbers.