Magnetism:magnetitude of mag field

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, a solenoid with 100 turns, .1m length, and 1A current has a magnetic field magnitude of 1.257x10^-3 Tesla at its center. This calculation was deemed correct by Tom, but Dx questioned its accuracy. It was suggested that the mistake may have been made by Dx's professor or grading intern, and that the lack of a unit in Dx's answer could have been the cause of the error.
Dx
Hi!
calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of a solenoid which has 100 turns, is .1m long and carried a current of 1A?

n = N/l = 100/.1 = 1K then
B= uo * n * I = 4PI x 10^-7 * 1K * 1A = 1.257x10^-3

why is this wrong?
dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct. Maybe your professor made a mistake?

Originally posted by Tom
It's correct. Maybe your professor made a mistake?
you know I am about to say something; he has these interns who also mis grade my darn test which has got me pummling for hours trying to find out what my mistake was. This is not cool; its borderline injustice to the class I say. Just teasing but I think they should take more emphasis on grading that could be the determining factor of a passing or failing grade, you know?
Thanks Tom,
Dx :wink:

Originally posted by Dx
why is this wrong?
Hi Dx,
sorry you have so much trouble. Just noticed your answer doesn't have a unit (should be Tesla). Maybe that's why your prof. marked it wrong...

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a natural force that causes certain objects, such as iron and steel, to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the movement of electric charges within the atoms of these materials.

2. What is the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is typically measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G).

3. How is the magnitude of magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic field is calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of the material the current is passing through. It can also be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields.

5. How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in many everyday devices, such as speakers, motors, and generators. It is also used in credit cards, computer hard drives, and MRI machines. Additionally, Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in navigation and animal migration.