TFT Monitor Recommendations for Optimal Gaming Experience

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking to buy a new monitor due to headaches caused by their current one. They are not interested in built-in speakers and are asking for recommendations and links to good deals. Some people suggest brands like NEC, Sony, Samsung, and Viewsonic. The conversation also touches on the high value-added tax in the UK and preferences between CRT and LCD monitors. The advantages and disadvantages of LCD monitors are discussed, including the 5:4 ratio and slow response time. One person also mentions the difference in frame rates for PC gaming.
Doc Brown
My current monitor is giving me headaches so I've decided to buy myself a 17" TFT Monitor.

I'm not interested in built-in speakers.

What make/models does everyone recommend, and can anyone give me some links to decent sites with good deals?

These prices seem pretty keen: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd17.html

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
*off topic*
Ouch, the Value Added Tax is 17.5% !

17.5 % is very, very high, I'm glad I don't live in the UK.

As for flat panels, I would recommend anything by NEC, Sony, Samsung and Viewsonic. Sony makes one of the best computer monitors out there as well as Samsung.

Just found this link: Hot Deals

Last edited:
I use a flat panel ViewSonic monitor and it's great.

A lot of graphic pros use Viewsonic.

I still prefer CRT monitor, the color and resolution are better.

The thing that really annoys me about LCD monitors is that all the 17" and 19" monitors come in 5:4 ratio? Why? I have no clue. When every CRT monitor is 4:3, when every 15" and 21" LCD monitor is 4:3, when every standard TV is 4:3. Due to this I refuse to get a 17" and 19" monitor until they decide to produce 4:3 ratio monitors.

Another thing that I dislike about LCD is the slow response time. Current LCD monitors have a response time of 25 mm. Giving a maximum frame rate of 40. What's the point of me having a $500 video card that's pumping 250 fps if my monitor can only show 40? As I'm a big PC game fanatic, this is important.

What I do like about LCD monitors though is that there is no glare. A huge advantage if you're next to a sunny window or lots of artificial lighting. The more obvious advantage of course is weight.

BlackVision said:
Another thing that I dislike about LCD is the slow response time. Current LCD monitors have a response time of 25 mm. Giving a maximum frame rate of 40. What's the point of me having a $500 video card that's pumping 250 fps if my monitor can only show 40? As I'm a big PC game fanatic, this is important.

Your eye can't even hande 250 fps and most people who play Doom 3 will get 40 fps.

dduardo said:
Your eye can't even hande 250 fps and most people who play Doom 3 will get 40 fps.
That's true. But your eyes can tell the difference between 40 and 100 fps I assure you.

1. What is a TFT screen?

A TFT (Thin Film Transistor) screen is a type of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screen that uses thin film transistors to control the display of each individual pixel. They are commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and televisions.

2. What are the advantages of a TFT screen?

Some of the advantages of TFT screens include high resolution, fast response time, wide viewing angles, and low power consumption. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of screens.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a TFT screen?

There are a few factors to consider when choosing a TFT screen, such as screen size, resolution, response time, contrast ratio, and viewing angles. It's also important to consider the intended use of the screen and the budget.

4. What is the recommended screen size for a TFT screen?

The recommended screen size for a TFT screen depends on the intended use and personal preference. For example, a smaller screen size may be more suitable for a smartphone, while a larger screen may be better for a computer or television.

5. How do I maintain a TFT screen?

To maintain a TFT screen, it's important to avoid touching the screen with bare hands, as oils and dirt can damage the screen. It's also recommended to clean the screen regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth and avoid using harsh chemicals. Additionally, it's important to avoid exposing the screen to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.