Should I Take AP Physics Without Pre-Calculus?

In summary, it is recommended to have a knowledge of calculus when taking AP Physics, as it is a college-level course that covers mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics and wave theory, and modern physics. It is also expected for students to have completed biology, chemistry, and algebra before enrolling in the course and to have taken or be currently taking pre-calculus or calculus. However, some students have been able to excel in the course without prior knowledge of calculus, as long as they have a strong understanding of trigonometry. It is also advised to have a good teacher who incorporates calculus into the course material. The type of AP Physics course offered may vary by school, with some covering more topics than others. Overall
Sko
I'm in standard physics junior year of high school. I really like physics but am wondering if I'll be able to handle AP without pre-calculus (which I'm taking next year also).

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need a knowledge of calculus.

I wouldn't recommend AP Physics if you are not taking Calculus AB next year.

Indeed Laura is correct. I took AP Physics while also taking Pre-Calculus (Trig/Analytic Geo.) and struggled with it. Good luck if you do, you'll need it!

You could always work up to an acceptacle level in calc over the summer.

I went from regular physics and calculus as a high school senior to intensive freshman physics at Yale. I don't regret it, but had I to choose again, I would take the BS, not the MS, 4-year track.

I would like to have had AP physics as an option in high school. Taking AP physics without calculus is like taking calculus tests with only a knowledge of advanced algebra, though.

It depends what physics - B or C? I took AP Physics B at my school concurrently with pre-calc AND calc (was a fun year :D).. it wasn't hard at all. If you're good with algebra, you can handle AP Physics B easily. Just don't take C, that uses lots of calculus

i'm doing AP physics and pre calc at the same time and i have the highest grade in the class it gives you an advantage cause the trig is still fresh in your head

AP PHYSICS SC469 Grade 12
Advanced Placement Physics is a college level, introductory physics course. Topics covered include mechanics, kinetic theory and thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism optics and wave theory and modern physics. Students are expected to demonstrate an understanding of concepts by solving problems and completing laboratory assignments. You should be prepared to arrange your school and personal schedule to provide additional laboratory time, not to exceed two hours per week, in addition to the five class periods scheduled. A final qualifying examination is required and the fee of $75 must be paid by all students enrolled in this course at the beginning of the school year. Receiving a certain score on exam may earn the student college credit.
PREREQUISITES-Biology I; Chemistry; Algebra I; Geometry; Algebra II Credit 1
Enrollment in Pre-Calculus Honors or Calculus
Teacher recommendation required.
Memo of Understanding

Got that off the website, and it sounds like you don't need pre-cal b4 you go in, just have to be in it at the same time. It doesn't say whether it's A,B,C?? Well thanks for the comments but I'll probably just end up trusting the advice of other physics students/guidance councilor.
:smile:

really depends on your teacher.

Good teacher would use trig alot, + calc

bad teacher would probably teach you basic algebra in ap physics.(he himself may be wrong)

my physics teacher taught us virtually no calculus. if you weren't in BC calc, you were screwed.

Originally posted by Sko
Got that off the website, and it sounds like you don't need pre-cal b4 you go in, just have to be in it at the same time. It doesn't say whether it's A,B,C?? Well thanks for the comments but I'll probably just end up trusting the advice of other physics students/guidance councilor.
:smile:

THe description is that of Physics B.
Physics C does not cover optics or thermodynamics; "C" only covers mechanics and electromagnetism (although it goes much more deeply into each).

I don't think you need to have pre-calc concurrent with AP Physics. I am taking AP Physics without pre-calc, and am doing fine (in fact, better than even the guys who know calc). I would strongly advise you learn trig before hand though.

Yeah, I'm in "advanced" algebra and trig this year.

Exactly what is applied physics?

hmnm...to answer that question, i think applied physics is just physics applied in practical purposes/technologies.

About AP physics, I would highly recommend taking the course. Last year as a sophmore, I took AP physics B while taking pre-calculus and managed to get a 5 (out of 5). At that time, I hadn't even taking calculus yet. Still, studying physics over the summer before I took the course significantly helped my performance in the class/AP test, so i would reccomend knowing some stuff about physics before taking the class for anyone desiring to take it. That's just my opinion though.

yea, definitely take it. i am taking the class without calculus because its the only one offered at my school even though i am taking calculus BC. always take the hardest classes you can. top of the line schools look not just at your grades, but whether or not you always took the most challenging courses available to you. my physics and calculus exams were the hardest exams I've ever taken by far. three hours wasn't long enough for every sing person in both classes. I'm dreading getting those grades back.

1. Should I take AP physics?

It depends on your academic goals and interests. Taking AP physics can benefit students who want to pursue a career in physics or engineering, as well as those who want to challenge themselves and improve their problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. Will taking AP physics help me get into college?

Colleges often look favorably upon students who have taken challenging courses, such as AP physics. It can demonstrate your academic rigor and commitment to learning. However, it is important to balance your course load and not overwhelm yourself with too many AP courses.

3. Is AP physics difficult?

AP physics can be challenging, especially if you do not have a strong foundation in math and science. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely manageable. Make sure to seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with any concepts.

4. How will taking AP physics benefit me in the long run?

AP physics can provide you with a strong foundation in physics and critical thinking skills that will be useful in a variety of fields. It can also potentially earn you college credit, allowing you to save time and money in college.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP physics?

Most schools require students to have completed or be concurrently enrolled in pre-calculus or calculus before taking AP physics. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and basic physics concepts.