Inequality Challenge X: Prove $\ge 3l-4m+n$

In summary, "Inequality Challenge X" is a mathematical inequality problem where the goal is to prove that a given expression is greater than or equal to 3l-4m+n. The expression 3l-4m+n serves as a benchmark for the solution, and the notation used in the inequality is a common mathematical notation. Various approaches can be used to solve the problem, such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, induction, and proof by contradiction, and there is no specific strategy for solving these types of problems. It is important to carefully analyze the given expression and choose the most suitable approach for the problem at hand.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
There are real numbers $l,\,m,\,n$ such that $l\ge m\ge n >0$.

Prove that $\dfrac{l^2-m^2}{n}+\dfrac{n^2-m^2}{l}+\dfrac{l^2-n^2}{m}\ge 3l-4m+n$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
this is not answered since months. here is my solution

as $l \ge m \ge n \gt 0$

we get $(l +m) \ge 2n$
or $\dfrac{l+m}{n} \ge 2$
or $\dfrac{l^2-m^2}{n} \ge 2(l-m) \cdots (1) $further
$(m+n ) \le 2l$
or $\dfrac{m+n }{l} \le 2$
or $\dfrac{m^2-n^2}{l} \le 2(m-n) $
or $\dfrac{n^2-m^2}{l} \ge 2(n-m) \cdots (2) $

also
$(l+n ) \ge m$
or $\dfrac{l+n }{m} \ge 1$
or $\dfrac{l^2-n^2}{m} \ge l-n \cdots (3)$adding (1), (2), (3) we get

$\dfrac{l^2-m^2}{n}+ \dfrac{n^2-m^2}{l}+\dfrac{l^2-n^2}{m} \ge 3l - 4m +n$

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
this is not answered since months. here is my solution

as $l \ge m \ge n \gt 0$

we get $(l +m) \ge 2n$
or $\dfrac{l+m}{n} \ge 2$
or $\dfrac{l^2-m^2}{n} \ge 2(l-m) \cdots (1) $further
$(m+n ) \le 2l$
or $\dfrac{m+n }{l} \le 2$
or $\dfrac{m^2-n^2}{l} \le 2(m-n) $
or $\dfrac{n^2-m^2}{l} \ge 2(n-m) \cdots (2) $

also
$(l+n ) \ge m$
or $\dfrac{l+n }{m} \ge 1$
or $\dfrac{l^2-n^2}{m} \ge l-n \cdots (3)$adding (1), (2), (3) we get

$\dfrac{l^2-m^2}{n}+ \dfrac{n^2-m^2}{l}+\dfrac{l^2-n^2}{m} \ge 3l - 4m +n$

Well done, kaliprasad! I didn't realize I had one problem left unanswered:eek:...fortunately you helped me to finish the unfinished business here...thanks, my friend!:cool:

Related to Inequality Challenge X: Prove $\ge 3l-4m+n$

1. What does "Inequality Challenge X" mean?

"Inequality Challenge X" refers to a specific mathematical inequality problem, where the goal is to prove that a certain expression is greater than or equal to the given expression of 3l-4m+n. This type of problem is commonly found in mathematics and can be solved using various techniques such as algebra, calculus, and logic.

2. What is the significance of "3l-4m+n" in the inequality?

"3l-4m+n" is the given expression in the inequality problem, where l, m, and n are variables. This expression serves as a benchmark for the solution – the goal is to prove that the given expression is greater than or equal to 3l-4m+n. It is important because it sets the standard for the desired outcome of the problem.

3. Can you explain the notation used in the inequality?

The notation used in the inequality is a common mathematical notation, where the greater than or equal to sign (≥) indicates that the left side of the inequality is either greater than or equal to the right side. The variables l, m, and n represent any real numbers or variables, and their specific values are not given in the problem, allowing for a general solution applicable to various scenarios.

4. What approach can be used to prove the inequality?

There are various approaches that can be used to prove the inequality, depending on the complexity of the problem and the level of mathematics involved. Some common techniques include algebraic manipulation, substitution, induction, and proof by contradiction. It is important to carefully analyze the given expression and choose the most suitable approach to solve the problem.

5. Is there a specific strategy for solving "Inequality Challenge X" problems?

There is no specific strategy for solving "Inequality Challenge X" problems, as each problem may require a unique approach. However, some general tips include carefully analyzing the given expression, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the inequality, and considering different scenarios for the variables. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems to develop a better understanding of the concepts involved.