Ineleastic perpendicular collision question

In summary: So the final speed is less than the initial speed due to deceleration.That's quite likely. Of course deceleration is also implied by the fact that the combined mass travels a limited distance.
MomentumIsHard

Homework Statement

Car 1: 2200kg
Initial direction: South
Car 2: 1800kg
Initial direction: East
Cars lock together and slide 11.25M (S 22.25 E)
At an acceleration that is 9.81 m (back) (it's a coincidence that this is gravity.)

Homework Equations

Who's fault was the collision if the speed limit was 50km/h?

I can't find momentum without a velocity so I'm very lost

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
MomentumIsHard said:

Homework Statement

Car 1: 2200kg
Initial direction: South
Car 2: 1800kg
Initial direction: East
Cars lock together and slide 11.25M (S 22.25 E)
At an acceleration that is 9.81 m (back) (it's a coincidence that this is gravity.)

Homework Equations

Who's fault was the collision if the speed limit was 50km/h?

I can't find momentum without a velocity so I'm very lost

The Attempt at a Solution

Just invent variables to represent the three unknown velocities, the two before and the one after collision.
Momentum gives you two equations, stopping distance gives you a third.

haruspex said:
Just invent variables to represent the three unknown velocities, the two before and the one after collision.
Momentum gives you two equations, stopping distance gives you a third.

Which equations are those? We only got one equation for in elastic in class, what about the distance one too? What you said makes sense but I can't find 3 equations

Hi MomentumIsHard,

You need to make some attempt before help can be given. What details about the motion after the collision do you know?

gneill said:
Hi MomentumIsHard,

You need to make some attempt before help can be given. What details about the motion after the collision do you know?
All the question states is that it moves 11.25 M [Back] (even though other directions were given in terms of east and south) at an acceleration of 9.81 m/s. The problem is I don't know where to start so I can't really make an attempt. Once I get one momentum I could pretty easily figure this out but I can't quite figure that out with no velocities given

MomentumIsHard said:
Which equations are those?
Conservation of momentum (one for each of two dimensions) and the SUVAT equation relating speeds, distance and (constant) acceleration.

MomentumIsHard said:
All the question states is that it moves 11.25 M [Back] (even though other directions were given in terms of east and south) at an acceleration of 9.81 m/s. The problem is I don't know where to start so I can't really make an attempt. Once I get one momentum I could pretty easily figure this out but I can't quite figure that out with no velocities given
No idea what "[Back]" is supposed to mean, but it doesn't matter if you're given the rest of the motion details. You have a distance, an acceleration, and a final speed. What can you deduce from that?

gneill said:
No idea what "[Back]" is supposed to mean, but it doesn't matter if you're given the rest of the motion details. You have a distance, an acceleration, and a final speed. What can you deduce from that?
I think it means the direction of the given acceleration is opposite to the motion.

haruspex said:
I think it means the direction of the given acceleration is opposite to the motion.
That's quite likely. Of course deceleration is also implied by the fact that the combined mass travels a limited distance.

Related to Ineleastic perpendicular collision question

1. What is an inelastic perpendicular collision?

An inelastic perpendicular collision refers to a situation in which two objects collide with each other at a 90-degree angle, and the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved after the collision. This means that some energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an inelastic perpendicular collision?

In an inelastic perpendicular collision, the total momentum of the system is still conserved, even though the kinetic energy is not. This means that the total mass and velocity of the objects before and after the collision will be the same.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic perpendicular collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic perpendicular collision depends on the materials and surfaces of the colliding objects, as well as the angle and speed at which they collide. Objects with larger mass and slower speeds tend to lose less energy during a collision.

4. Can an inelastic perpendicular collision result in a completely elastic collision?

No, an inelastic perpendicular collision will always result in some energy being lost, and therefore it cannot be completely elastic. However, the amount of energy lost can be minimized by choosing materials and angles that are more likely to bounce off each other instead of sticking together.

5. How is the speed of an object affected by an inelastic perpendicular collision?

The speed of an object after an inelastic perpendicular collision will be lower than the speed before the collision. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, causing the object to slow down.