Inelastic Collisions in One Dimension

In summary, the problem involves two cars, A and B, with masses of 970 kg and 1600 kg respectively, colliding at a traffic light. After the collision, both cars slide with locked wheels until the frictional force from the slick road (with a low mk of 0.23) stops them at distances of 5.8 m and 3.6 m, respectively. The question asks for the speeds of car A and car B at the start of the sliding, as well as the speed of car B just before the collision, assuming conservation of momentum. The solution involves using the equations for conservation of momentum and center-of-mass velocity, as well as considering the transfer of kinetic energy to thermal energy due
beatbama85
Here's my problem:

Car A (mass 970 kg) is stopped at a traffic light when it is rear-ended by car B (mass 1600 kg). Both cars then slide with locked wheels until the frictional force from the slick road (with a low mk of 0.23) stops them, at distances dA = 5.8 m and dB = 3.6 m. What are the speeds of (a) car A and (b) car B at the start of the sliding, just after the collision? (c) Assuming that linear momentum is conserved during the collision, find the speed of car B just before the collision.

The name of the section that this problem corresponds to is the title of this thread. I know about the conservation of momentum (ma(va1) + mb(vb1) = ma(va2) + mb(vb2), where a and b are the cars and 1 and 2 is initial and final) and the equation for the center-of-mass velocity ((pa1 + pa2)/(ma + mb)), but I don't know what to do with the friction. Should I find the frictional forces and integrate them to get the final momentums?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. I just realized that, after the collision, the kinetic energy transfers completely to thermal energy, so I was able to find va2 and vb2 from K = 1/2v^2. Then, applying the equation for conservation of momentum, I was able to find vb1.

Great job identifying the relevant equations and concepts for this problem! To solve for the speeds of the cars at the start of sliding, you can use the conservation of momentum equation and the given information about the distances traveled. Since the cars are sliding with locked wheels, the frictional force will be equal to the maximum static friction force (fs = μsN). You can then use this force to solve for the initial momentums of the cars and then use those values to solve for the initial speeds.

To find the speed of car B just before the collision, you can use the same equation for conservation of momentum, but instead of using the distances traveled, you can use the initial and final velocities of car A (which is stopped at the traffic light) and the final velocity of car B (which is the same as its initial velocity just before the collision). This will give you one equation with one unknown, which you can then solve for the initial velocity of car B.

As for the frictional forces, you do not need to integrate them to find the final momentums. The frictional force will only affect the motion of the cars while they are sliding, and once they come to a stop, the frictional force will no longer be present and the cars will no longer be experiencing any acceleration. This means that you can solve for the final momentums directly using the given information about the distances traveled.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts and equations needed to solve this problem. Just remember to pay attention to the given information and use it appropriately in your calculations. Good luck!

Related to Inelastic Collisions in One Dimension

1. What is an inelastic collision in one dimension?

An inelastic collision in one dimension is a type of collision between two objects where there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that after the collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is less than before the collision.

2. How is the total momentum conserved in an inelastic collision in one dimension?

The total momentum in an inelastic collision in one dimension is conserved, meaning that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momentums of the objects may change as a result of the collision.

3. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of restitution in an inelastic collision in one dimension?

The coefficient of restitution in an inelastic collision in one dimension is calculated using the formula e = (v2 - v1) / (u1 - u2), where v1 and v2 are the final velocities of the two objects and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the two objects.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an inelastic collision in one dimension?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means that more kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a less inelastic collision. A lower coefficient of restitution means that less kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a more inelastic collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions in one dimension?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions in one dimension include a car accident, a ball hitting the ground, or a person catching a ball. In all of these scenarios, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the collision.