Inelastic Collision with Friction and angle

In summary, based on the given information, the velocities of the Red Car and Blue Car immediately before their collision were 60.3 mph and 46.4 mph, respectively. The Red Car had a mass of 1000kg, while the Blue Car had a mass of 1300kg. The cars came to rest with a displacement of 9.72m at 72 degrees North of East, and the coefficient of friction was .72. The formulas used were ( Vf2-Vo2=-2UkgD) and (M1V1i+M2V2i=(M1+M2)Vf).
Geowarrior77
Suppose the traffic investigators determined from the skid marks that these cars came to rest with a displacement of 9.72m at 72 degrees North of East, and the coefficient of friction was .72. The red car had a mass of 1000kg, but the blue car's mass was 1300 kg in this accident. Find the velocities (in mph) of each car immediately before their collision.

Solution: I used two formulas that I read in another forum but we have never been taught the first one in class. First I used ( Vf2-Vo2=-2UkgD) then M1V1i+M2V2i=(M1+M2)Vf

D=9.72
Theta=72 degrees
Uk=.72
M1=1000kg
M2=1300kg

1000kg*Vi+1300kg*0=(2300kg)(11.71m/s)
=26.93m/s=60.3mph

1000kg*0+1300kg*Vi=(2300kg)(11.71m/s)
=20.72m/s=46.4mph

I got 60.3 mph for the Red Car and 46.4 mph for the Blue Car. Any idea if that is the correct way to go about this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the correct way to go about this problem. You used the correct formulas and your calculations are correct.

Related to Inelastic Collision with Friction and angle

1. What is an inelastic collision with friction and angle?

An inelastic collision with friction and angle is a type of collision that occurs between two objects where there is a loss of kinetic energy due to friction and the objects do not bounce off each other at the same angle that they approached.

2. How is the angle of collision affected by friction in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision with friction, the angle of collision is affected by the direction of the frictional force. The angle of collision will be less than the angle of approach if the frictional force is in the opposite direction of the motion, and greater than the angle of approach if the frictional force is in the same direction as the motion.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to friction, while in an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy. Additionally, in an inelastic collision, the objects do not bounce off each other and stick together, while in an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other at the same angle that they approached.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of friction affects the outcome of an inelastic collision by determining the amount of frictional force present during the collision. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater loss of kinetic energy and a larger change in the angle of collision, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a smaller change in kinetic energy and angle of collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions with friction and angle?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions with friction and angle include a car crash, a ball rolling to a stop on a rough surface, and a hockey puck sliding to a stop on an ice rink. In all of these scenarios, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to friction and the objects do not bounce off each other at the same angle that they approached.