Inelastic Collision Using Distance to Figure Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a project called Phylm in which the speaker is using a scene from the movie V for Vendetta to analyze the physics involved. They are trying to determine the velocity and force of a knife thrown by the character V. The conversation ends with the speaker figuring out the calculation using the slow motion of the film and the distance traveled by the bodyguard. They are open to suggestions for a better method.
Luudy
For my intro to physics class, we have to do a project known as Phylm, in which we analyze a scene from a movie that utilizes physics in some way and then determine, based on our findings, whether the situation is viable or not. I'm using the scene from V for Vendetta in which V throws a pair of knives and knocks two bodyguards back approximately 1.52 Meters. My question is, using the data below, how do I figure out the velocity of the knife, and then how much force it would take a man to throw the knife at that velocity? The collision is perfectly inelastic.

Weight of knife (a): .567 Kg
Weight of bodyguard: 104.8 Kg
Distance bodyguard travels after being hit: 1.52 m
Initial velocity of bodyguard: 0 m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you're going to have to give it a bit of a go yourself before anyone leaps to your assistance. (It might also be a good idea to use the forum's homework template.)

I've actually got it now, chief. I just figured out how much the film had been slowed down from normal, which was down by 1/4, and then figured out the bodyguard's final velocity based on how long it took him to fall backwards the 1.52 meters. If there's a better way to do it, though, it would be much appreciated. I feel like I had to guess about too many variables this way.

Related to Inelastic Collision Using Distance to Figure Velocity

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is not conserved.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in an inelastic collision using distance?

To calculate the velocity of an object in an inelastic collision using distance, you can use the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled by the object, and t is the time it took to travel that distance. This assumes that the object is moving at a constant speed.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy of the system are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total momentum and total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved, while there is a loss of kinetic energy.

4. How does the distance between objects affect the velocity in an inelastic collision?

The distance between objects does not directly affect the velocity in an inelastic collision. However, it does affect the time it takes for the objects to collide, which can then be used to calculate the velocity using the formula v = d/t. The shorter the distance between objects, the faster they will collide and the higher the velocity will be.

5. Can an inelastic collision result in the objects sticking together after the collision?

Yes, an inelastic collision can result in the objects sticking together after the collision. This is because in an inelastic collision, the objects lose kinetic energy, which can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat. This loss of energy can cause the objects to stick together due to the attractive forces between them.