Inelastic collision. Two angle variables.

In summary, the aim is to get rid of the phi term right? so that means you have to express phi in terms of everything else so squaring both sides of both equations give you4vi2 - 8vivfcos(t) + 4vf2cos2(t) = vi2sin2(phi)4vf2sin2(t) = vi2cos2(phi)so now look at the RHS of both equations, you add them so that the cos and sin (phi) "cancel off" since cos2x + sin2x = 1, so you effectively left with vi2 , i.e, you have factored out
ttttrigg3r
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1007938/22/6318.jpg
Two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed 2v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle phi south of east (as indicated in the figure). After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed v_final at an angle theta east of north.

Now I solved Vfinal into its i and j components

i: vicos[itex]\phi[/itex]=2vfcos[itex]\theta[/itex]

j: 2vi-sin[itex]\phi[/itex]vi=2(vfsin[itex]\theta[/itex])

The problem is if I solve for vfinal, I get the answer in terms of Vinitial, phi, and theta. The problem only asks for Vfinal in Vinitial and theta. How do I get rid of phi to only have theta and Vi?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you changed the equations.It should be
i: vicosϕ=2vfsinθ
j: 2vi-sinϕvi=2(vfcosθ)
And my sugestion to get rid of phi is to isolate cosϕ on eq.i and use the fundamental relation cos²ϕ+sin²ϕ=1 to find sinϕ, and then substitute sinϕ on eq.j.

do you mean isolate cos(phi) and square it, and then isolate sin(phi) and then square it and then sub it into cos^2phi + sin^2phi =1? I did that but then I got an equation Vf and Vf^2 . The fraction looks unsolvable for Vf. Cannot factor or anything.

if i am not wrong

you can rearrange it to

2vi - 2vfcos(t) = vsin(phi)

2vfsin(t) = vcos(phi)

square both sides

your right hand side will be vi2 , since c and s cancel

your left hand side will be

4vi2 + 4vf2 - 8vivfcos(t)

this is quadratic, so use -b+- squareroot b^2 - 4ac over 2a.

quietrain said:
if i am not wrong

you can rearrange it to

2vi - 2vfcos(t) = vsin(phi)

2vfsin(t) = vcos(phi)

square both sides

your right hand side will be vi2 , since c and s cancel

your left hand side will be

4vi2 + 4vf2 - 8vivfcos(t)

this is quadratic, so use -b+- squareroot b^2 - 4ac over 2a.

I don't see how the sin and cos cancel when you square it? There must be a step I'm missing because if you square the first equation, on the right side you get Vi2sin[itex]\phi[/itex]. On the left side you would get a long quadratic with variables Vi, Vf, and theta.

ttttrigg3r said:
I don't see how the sin and cos cancel when you square it? There must be a step I'm missing because if you square the first equation, on the right side you get Vi2sin[itex]\phi[/itex]. On the left side you would get a long quadratic with variables Vi, Vf, and theta.

the aim is to get rid of the phi term right?

so that means you have to express phi in terms of everything else

so squaring both sides of both equations give you

4vi2 - 8vivfcos(t) + 4vf2cos2(t) = vi2sin2(phi)

4vf2sin2(t) = vi2cos2(phi)

so now look at the RHS of both equations, you add them so that the cos and sin (phi) "cancel off" since cos2x + sin2x = 1, so you effectively left with vi2 , i.e, you have factored out vi2

so similarly, for lhs, you combine the sin and cos (t) to get

4vi2 + 4vf2 - 8vivfcos(t) = vi2

so you are now effectively solving for vf in a quadratic equation, without the phi terms

Related to Inelastic collision. Two angle variables.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that after the collision, the objects do not have the same amount of energy that they had before the collision. Inelastic collisions are characterized by the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

2. How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that after the collision, the objects involved have the same amount of energy as they did before the collision. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and do not stick together or deform.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in an inelastic collision?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. In an inelastic collision, although there is a loss of kinetic energy, the total momentum of the system is conserved.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in an inelastic collision?

To calculate the final velocities of objects in an inelastic collision, you can use the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vf, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and vf is the final velocity of the objects after the collision.

5. How do you incorporate angle variables in the calculation of an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision involving two objects moving at angles, you can use the law of cosines to determine the final velocities. The law of cosines states that c2 = a2 + b2 - 2abcosθ, where c is the final velocity, a and b are the initial velocities, and θ is the angle between the two objects. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the final velocity and incorporate the angle variables into the calculation.