Inelastic Collision of a bullet and block

In summary, The problem involves a bullet of mass 24g fired into a 1.20 kg block of wood at rest. Using the equation 1/2mv^2+mgh=1/2mvf^2+mgh, the final velocity of the block is found to be mV=(m+M)V', and the height can be solved for using 1/2mV'^2=(m+M)gh. After a calculation error, the correct answer of 413.26 meters is found. The error was due to using the incorrect mass of the bullet (0.240 kg instead of 0.024 kg).
12boone

Homework Statement

A bullet is fired vertically into a 1.20 kg block of wood at rest directly above it. If the bullet has a mass of 24.0g and a speed of 540 m/s , how high will the block rise after the bullet becomes embedded in it?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2+mgh=1/2mvf^2+mgh
mv=mvf

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for this i must use momentum to find the final v which would be

mV=(m+M)V'
then i use that V' to find height

1/2mV'^2=(m+M)gh

I solved this and I got an answer of 413 meters this is wrong. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
12boone said:
mV=(m+M)V'
then i use that V' to find height
Good!

1/2mV'^2=(m+M)gh
Make sure you use "m+M" on both sides. (They cancel, of course.)

If that's not the problem (and I don't think it is), show your calculations, step by step.

ok i did that and it is still wrong. i did .5(.240+1.20)(90)^2=(.240+1.20)(9.80)h

i put the left side in the calc. and got 5832=(.240+1.20)(9.80)h then divided the right numbers by the left and my answer is 413.26m which is wrong according to mastering physics.

12boone said:
ok i did that and it is still wrong. i did .5(.240+1.20)(90)^2=(.240+1.20)(9.80)h
Show how you calculated that speed.

I multiplied .240kg(540m/s) then divided that by (.240+1.2).

12boone said:
I multiplied .240kg(540m/s) then divided that by (.240+1.2).
There's the problem. The bullet's mass is 24 grams = 0.024 Kg (not 0.24 Kg).

wow thank you!

Related to Inelastic Collision of a bullet and block

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the objects involved stick together after impact, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

2. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other after impact and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy.

3. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in an inelastic collision because the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, even though some of the kinetic energy is lost.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the nature of the materials and the angle at which they collide.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that some kinetic energy is lost. The lower the coefficient of restitution, the more inelastic the collision is.