Inelastic Collision At An Angle

In summary, two objects of mass M (= 1 kg) each, traveling with identical speed (|v1| = |v2| = 3 m/s) at an angle of θ relative to the x-axis, collide and travel as one object of mass 2M with a velocity v3 (|v3| = 2 m/s) in the horizontal direction. Using conservation of momentum, the total momentum before the collision is 6 and after the collision is 4.
Saendy
Two objects of mass M (= 1 kg) each travel with identical speed (|v1| = |v2| = 3 m/s) making an angle of θ relative to the x-axis. After they collide with each other, they travel as one object of mass 2M and with a velocity v3 (|v3| = 2 m/s) in the horizontal direction.

fig1.gif

What is the value for angle θ in radians?

I tried m1 * v1 * cos(θ) + m2 * v2 * cos(θ) = mf * vf, but that was just a blind attempt to try something.

It's a practice exam question so I know the answer, but I want to know how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saendy said:
Two objects of mass M (= 1 kg) each travel with identical speed (|v1| = |v2| = 3 m/s) making an angle of θ relative to the x-axis. After they collide with each other, they travel as one object of mass 2M and with a velocity v3 (|v3| = 2 m/s) in the horizontal direction.

fig1.gif

What is the value for angle θ in radians?

I tried m1 * v1 * cos(θ) + m2 * v2 * cos(θ) = mf * vf, but that was just a blind attempt to try something.

It's a practice exam question so I know the answer, but I want to know how to get there.
Hello Saendy. Welcome to PF !

Use conservation of momentum.

What's the momentum of the system (total momentum) before the collision?

What's the momentum of the system after the collision?

Last edited:
Hi Sammy, thanks for replying!

The total momentum before should be:

Pi = (m1 * v1) + (m2 * v2) = (3*1) + (3*1) = 6

The total momentum after should be:

Pf = (2m * vf) = (2*2) = 4

Saendy said:
Hi Sammy, thanks for replying!

The total momentum before should be:

Pi = (m1 * v1) + (m2 * v2) = (3*1) + (3*1) = 6
Don't forget v1 andv2 are vectors. Momentum is too.

The total momentum after should be:

Pf = (2m * vf) = (2*2) = 4

The value for angle θ in radians can be found by using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. First, we can set up the equations for each of these principles:

Conservation of momentum: m1*v1*cos(θ) + m2*v2*cos(θ) = mf*v3*cos(0)

Conservation of kinetic energy: (1/2)*m1*v1^2 + (1/2)*m2*v2^2 = (1/2)*mf*v3^2

Since we know the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision, we can plug in these values and solve for θ. We also know that the objects are traveling at the same speed, so we can set v1 = v2 = v and simplify the equations:

m1*v*cos(θ) + m2*v*cos(θ) = mf*v3

(1/2)*m1*v^2 + (1/2)*m2*v^2 = (1/2)*mf*v3^2

Now we can substitute in the values of m1, m2, mf, v, and v3:

(1/2) * (1 kg) * (3 m/s) * cos(θ) + (1/2) * (1 kg) * (3 m/s) * cos(θ) = (2 kg) * (2 m/s) * cos(0)

(1/2) * (1 kg) * (3 m/s)^2 + (1/2) * (1 kg) * (3 m/s)^2 = (1/2) * (2 kg) * (2 m/s)^2

Simplifying these equations, we get:

(3/2) * cos(θ) = 4

(9/2) * cos(θ) = 8

Dividing both equations by 2, we get:

(3/4) * cos(θ) = 2

(9/4) * cos(θ) = 4

Solving for cos(θ), we get:

cos(θ) = 8/3

cos(θ) = 4/9

Using a calculator, we can find the inverse cosine of these values to get the angle θ:

θ = 69.44 degrees or 1.21 radians

Therefore, the value for

Related to Inelastic Collision At An Angle

1. What is an inelastic collision at an angle?

An inelastic collision at an angle is a type of collision between two objects where there is a transfer of kinetic energy, resulting in a change in the velocities of both objects. Unlike an elastic collision, where the kinetic energy is conserved, in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.

2. How is an inelastic collision at an angle different from a regular inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision at an angle, the two objects do not collide head-on, but at an angle. This means that the direction of the velocities of the objects after the collision will also be at an angle, rather than in a straight line as in a regular inelastic collision.

3. What is the formula for calculating the final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle is:

v1f = (m1 v1i cosθ1 + m2 v2i cosθ2)/(m1 + m2)

v2f = (m1 v1i sinθ1 + m2 v2i sinθ2)/(m1 + m2)

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of the initial velocities.

4. Can the final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle be negative?

Yes, the final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle can be negative. This indicates that the objects are moving in the opposite direction after the collision than they were before.

5. What factors can affect the final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle?

The final velocities in an inelastic collision at an angle can be affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the angle at which they collide. The type of materials and the presence of any external forces can also affect the final velocities.